Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Remeber this X-Sucks!!!!

Jayson Kramer

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Definitely not. Randle is at least moderately knowledgeable in the use of CAD/CAM software. He was just impatient and did not see the error of his ways until forced into something as hideous as UG. biggrin.giftongue.gif

• 1 year later...

Call me what you will, but I still miss the hold hot key menu. Maybe I just don't have that hand eye coordination that's needed, but I still feel like I never got back to the speed I had. It may help one of these days to map the alt key to either a button on my mouse, or the space bar would be nice. But still there's a lot of stuff you cant hit with keystrokes anymore that you used to be be able to. People complain about Done-Done-Do it, but really how long does it take to hit "D" three times vs mouseing from one side of the screen to the other?

Like I said, it's probably me and I just need to spend some more time customizeing my hot keys and menu's. Also I'm only half programmer and half operator, so I spend a lot of time on the floor and don't have my "own" seat.

flame.gif

quote:

I have to agree with you, the X format is still not as fast for me as the pre-X format was. I've done a bit of customization too.

Same here, I was/am lightning fast with V9, and I can still draw stuff way faster in V9, although I rarely do.

frown.gif

In many regards I was still faster in V9 then x also. Key driven commands are faster with no search time. X has too many option dialog boxes that pop up under different menues that are scattered on the ribbon bar, and IMO many of them do not work "logically". I'm fast with some and slow with others. Much of X I like, but in general my work flow is too often interrupted with searching.

Also, some day go try to program a part on someone elses workstation in X, wanna talk about sloooowwww...no prob. in V9.

[ 07-21-2010, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Verndog ]

Wow, I thought this topic died longer ago!!

quote:

Same here, I was/am lightning fast with V9, and I can still draw stuff way faster in V9.

I have yet to have a customer prove this to be the case. But I am up to the challenge. Capture a video of a scenerio in V9 and lets do a comparison. You can use jing for free

Just because you can click faster (mouse and keyboard) in V9 doesn't mean you are faster or getting more done.

quote:

I have yet to have a customer prove this to be the case. But I am up to the challenge. Capture a video of a scenerio in V9 and lets do a comparison. You can use jing for free

Just because you can click faster (mouse and keyboard) in V9 doesn't mean you are faster or getting more done.

Of course it's not 100% faster, but some functions that I use regularly on a day to day basis, many many times a day are faster...

For instance:

In V9

Create/Line/Vertical (3 mouse clicks without moving your mouse), and then just enter a value for Y

In X (if your hotbar isn't on Create/Line/Endpoint) open the drop down tab, select endpoint, draw the line, hit Y then your value.

Result much slower than V9.

I have my top bar all set up in V9 with a bunch of stuff that I use the most, like one click for Create/Line/Parallel,Modify/Trim/2 entities, Bolt Circle, etc..

A toolpath I use probably the most is the Drill toolpath.

My pet peeve with this is that I have to open up another menu and do way too many clicks before I can select my points (unless I am doing it wrong?)

I have to click: Drill/entities/only/points/green arrow/then my points/green arrow

It seems like the mouse movement slows down when this selection box is open, weird.

In V9 it's the same selection, but way faster since the selections are right there and have very little mouse movement.

That's just some of the stuff that I can do alot faster in V9.

Granted V9 doesn't have the capabilities that X+ has, that's why I don't use it too often, unless the boss needs me to draw something NOW! lol.

quote:

I believe the main point attempting to be made here is, there is much that can be done to X to reduce mouse clicks and speed it up even more. Cleaning up the menues - making hot key first capped letter in word in ALL cases, and eliminating dialog boxes that independently pop up everywhere (as much as possible) would be a good start.

There are many examples that could be used...but here is 1 quick 1. In V9...analyze / only / point. Keboard AOP (IIRC --been a while since I used V9), 1 click and done Try that in X, 5-6 mouse clicks and 3 different dialog boxes later your there. Can something be learned from the past here? Lets hope.

Wow you guys are making seem allot harder.

Create line Vert...key strocks Alt C-L-E-V Sketch the line type the X value and done.

So analyze point.. F4 pick point there is the value.

As for the drilling not sure what this (I have to click: Drill/entities/only/points/green arrow/then my points/green arrow) what green arrow?

for drilling points I go .. Alt T-D-enter a NC name if needed and pick the points and then enter.

JMTC

Verndog:

quote:

There are many examples that could be used...but here is 1 quick 1. In V9...analyze / only / point. Keboard AOP (IIRC --been a while since I used V9), 1 click and done Try that in X, 5-6 mouse clicks and 3 different dialog boxes later your there. Can something be learned from the past here? Lets hope.

F4/Rightclick point quick mask/pickpoint want to time how long that takes??

the same. wink.gifwink.gif

quote:

F4/Rightclick point quick mask/pickpoint want to time how long that takes??

I'm not saying X isn't configurable to do this faster. That is why I said go program a part in X on someone elses machine, they will have a different right click menue then you. That said, the default method is still very slow, and prior to that was very fast.

quote:

So analyze point.. F4 pick point there is the value.

Your missing the point. biggrin.gif

Analyze ONLY point, I want to select many different points without selecting other enities on a large part with many enities...

[ 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Verndog ]

Vern you mis understand. There is the quickmask toolbar. On the toolbar you left click to select all entities and with right click you get only of those entities. So you hit f4 on the key board. You then move the mouse over to the point button on the tool bar and right click. Again by right clicking you have the ability to only pick points. You then pick the point. This would work on any default install no special customization of the right clock. I teach this very method to all users of Verisurf for the transition from V9 to X class we give.

To be honest I dont use quick mask, I have autocurser override setup on right click that mostly will override the autocurser for selection...except of course during analyze LOL.

I'll play with quick mask some. Please dont miss the points being made though. There is tweaking and redundant movement that can be saved in X, and I haven't seen much effort to reduce it since X was released.

The other methods people use besides main menu selections are work arounds IMO (other ways of doing the same thing).

Edit...Hey Ron...sorry but the quick mask is just an shortcut to the ONLY selection and trading 1/4 of a toolbar in screen space to turn that on / added clutter is not worth saving 1 mouse click...not to me. Lean and clean...thats how I roll. wink.gif

[ 07-21-2010, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Verndog ]

quote:

^^^

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master Toolpath Engineer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats a big call!

Haha, I agree. Its like putting "Best Programmer In World" at the bottom a post smile.gif

David, I didn't realise you were with DMG/Mori Seiki. I was at you office on Tuesday. There were three of us from Hamilton Jet, in New Zealand. I was the guy with glasses smile.gif

We deal with Peter Knox every now and then. He took us out to Anka and Mette smile.gif

If I had know that was you there, I would have said hello. It looked like you were working on a post, or something, in some other software?

quote:

Wait, are you saying that setting up custom hot keys, or right mouse button menu, or custom toolbars are work arounds?

Yep...I am. Designed work arounds lets call it.

How would you define work around? Here's mine. Something that doesn't do what you would like the original intended way, so you find another way...= work around. wink.gif

Now, if you would like to discuss why there is at least 10 different ways to do anything in Mastercam...we can do that tomarrow. cool.gif