Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Zigzag or one way?

DavidB

When you guys do finish parallel, finsh contour, of finsh shallow toolpaths with Ballnose cutters do you Climb and Up mill (zigzag) or just Up mill?

Coming from a toolmaking back ground I always climbed cut only.

Now I do small batch work Iim wondering if zigzag would be better as it reduces cycle time, but whats the finish like and tool life?

Cheers

I would ask your stepover and depth of cut. If it is .02 stepover or less in aluminum or softer steels I don't think you would notice the convention cuts vs. the climb mill cuts. It will shrink your cutting cycle. I would take the time and try the zigzag. I never use one cutting direction. Good luck.

bonk.gif

I'm machining 4330 @ 49Rc and PH15-5 @ 42 Rc.

I do roughing and semi finishing always climb.

I have always climbed my finish passes in hardened steel and zigzag in Al.

I'll give zigzag a go in the hard steel and see what the finish is like. Cycle time will be better but I'm sure tool life wont be as good.

Thanks guys

I rarely use finish parallel any more because the 3d box (constant scallop) gives a much better finish and you don't have to go back and optimize where large scallops are from the parallel program.

For contour programs and bullnose tools, I always use zig zag.