Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SolidWorks importing and automated CAM with Mastercam X2

Horst

Hi there!

I am starting learning on Mastercam X2 at the local university. We use Solidworks 2008 and Mastercam X2.

I just wanted to get further and learn how to import a part created in Solidworks and let Mastercam do the job.

I'd like to see many automated steps for easy use and saving time in programming.

I expected Mastercam could recognize the part and make a suggestion how to mill the part. I know Condacam which does it: after selecting the material it suggests which tool to use and so on.

How can I do this in Mastercam X2? Are there any cool tutorials apart from the delivered ones?

At first I'd like to start milling an engraving in an acrylic glass. I have the file in Solidworks. So - how do I continue?

Thanks and sorry for some narrow views: I am just starting learning it smile.gif I know that no software can know what to do with one click - but I hope Mastercam would be a great help in programming.

Horst

Thanks. I've been already so far.

I tried to get the engravings by following the pdf tutorial. The result was really near to the part - but not exactly. And there were so many steps to do and too much decisions to make smile.gif

I hoped getting the part done automated, get the NC-Code, prepare the suggested tools, import the NC-code and GO!

But it seems to be harder than I wished it would be.

Lars,

I only tried the Demo of Condacam 1.2 and it's a lot easier as Mastercam but has only few of the options I think.

I am German so that can be the reason. But it's like:

- load 3d model

- define the unfinished part & material

- add NC jobs like Z-milling

- create the NC-Code in the postprocessor

That seems to be all. In the animation the part is done automatically.

Mastercam has to be able to do this, too - but I don't know how, any further help would be appreciated.

The tools can be defined in Condacam:

- right click NC-Jobs

- add a NC job like "Z-Ebenenschruppen"

- double click on that job

- go to "Werkzeug" (which means tool in german)

- define the diameter (Durchmesser) and type of miller (click the icons)

Horst

Farming it out to a real shop is as close as your going to come if the following criteria is required:

" just wanted to get further and learn how to import a part created in Solidworks and let Mastercam do the job.

I'd like to see many automated steps for easy use and saving time in programming.

I expected Mastercam could recognize the part and make a suggestion how to mill the part. I know Condacam which does it: after selecting the material it suggests which tool to use and so on."

quote:

And there were so many steps to do and too much decisions to make.

That's why you are in school, to learn.

quote:

I hoped getting the part done automated, get the NC-Code, prepare the suggested tools, import the NC-code and GO!

Then you wouldn't need to go to school. And you wouldn't get a good paying job afterwards because any dummy could do it if it was that easy. You only get out of this life what you put into it. If you don't want to work hard and learn everyday you are not going to get the better rewards this life has to offer. You need to push yourself to be better than those in the class with you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes either, you learn from those as well. It's called sweat equity here in the USA.

quote:

Sweat equity is a term used to describe the contribution made to a project by people who contribute their time and effort.

I thank all the moms and dads for the good advices for life! smile.gif

And now back to the how2 please.

- I have a 3D-model of Solidworks. A block, some holes in it, some contours.

- I push it to Mastercam via the Solidworks interface

- I define the milling machine

- I define the unfinished part

- what is the next step for the first milling process? I think I should define the tool. And I hope Mastercam recognizes the holes automatically - or do I have to pick them in any way?

Thanks

Horst

For the ease your looking for.. rolleyes.gif you might need to upgrade to X3 cheers.gif

click on the "whats new" in the link. link

Feature Based Machining (FBM)

A highlight of Mastercam X3 is Feature Based Machining (FBM). FBM, available with Mastercam Mill Level 1 or Mastercam Router and higher, eliminates manual feature identification for programming milling and drilling operations on solid parts. The FBM Mill and FBM Drill operations automatically create the toolpaths needed to machine features that are identified using your specific criteria. FBM's interface is simple and intuitive, so you'll become comfortable with it quickly.

Horst,

What Condacam is trying to do is somewhat what Mastercam is doing with FBM, we are years from in reality to just plug the solid model into a computer, and have the finished part coming out in the other end. Its like letting Google maps and a satellite guide your car, we can not trust it yet, and computers ain't got much other than 0's and 1's in them, intelligence is needed.

1st of you need to get your school to get up to the real world, Solidworks 2009 and Mastercam X3 is both out and a university should not be teaching old technology.

The best way to help you would be if you uploaded your file on the FTP, that would make it easier to see what you are trying to do. You where talking about engraving something, but now you want to drill? or when you are saying holes are you talking pockets? When talking tools are these standard tools or custom engraving tools, in Mastercam you can have a tool library so you just add your tools on the fly.

A lot of questions but as you might understand this is why computers isn't running the show yet.

I have to ask what has the instructor been teaching you. sounds like not much sorry to say.

Go to my link at the bottom of my Sig then when you get to the page go to the bottom you will see a button saying Engraving this takes you thru a little of the engraving kind of step by step. and also listen to all the members here. I would be asking the instructor questions to find out does he or she know what they are teaching.

engraving.jpg

quote:

For the ease your looking for.. [Roll Eyes] you might need to upgrade to X3 [Cheers]

More than likely another CAM integrated in SolidWorks...and don't tell me that Mastercam in SolidWorks is right around the corner. The reality is CNC software need to stop and focus on making their flagship product work properly and the better instead of screwing around with with an area that they should have addressed prior to the release of X. Sorry guys you dropped the ball along time ago and everyone watching you run trying to play catch-up! Other CAM packages have some of this nailed or at least are going down the right road.

I didn't mean this as much as a dig but to real start to clear the air form all this marketing BS.

Peolpe for a Better CAM!

• 2 weeks later...

Horst, I think you need to do a tutorial first and learn the steps. Mastercam leaves your options open so you have the power to control how the part is produced. Mastercam also has a lot of capabilities that you have yet to learn. But you need to learn the basics fist. Like the first thing you should do is define your stock and then face it off. Then do your engraving. Good luck!