Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

job opening

JSomerville

Hello to all and a Happy New Year.

KMC Mold LLC would like to let everyone know that we are looking for a Master Cam programmer. We are a small Rubber Mold shop in Noblesville Indiana. We have been in business since 1936, and we would like to stay that way.

We have several older and a couple of new CNC machines for programming. We have 5 different posts to deal with. So any post experiance is a plus. We design and build our molds to customer requirments. We design with Solid Works and cut with Master Cam.

We offer a benefits package and vacation pay with holidays.

Interested parties can contact me at [email protected] and I will give you more information.

Thanks,

JS

Yes but do you realize that a construction guy, a nurse or a truck driver make more money than a programmer...

I think one of the problems is that the manufacturing is so competitive now days that the programmer salaries are low compared to the responsibilities and all what a true programmer have to know. That’s why not many people want to sacrifice time to study something that is not going to pay back.

no offense to any company

just my 2 c

Sante Fe,

Your problem with Salary is your location. Move to Washington, Oregon, or California and the pay scale doubles or tripples VS. the pay in Texas...

Plus it depends on your level of experience. I happen to do quite a bit of Post work for all different types of machines. I had a guy just the other week who had been trying to get one of his Lathe posts fixed for 7 years! He had three different people try and fix his problem including his local reseller.

I found and fixed the problem in about 20 minutes...

Pay is all relative to your level of performance. I can tell you that I make far more than anyone in construction, nursing, or trucking (not counting an owner/operator, just a straight hourly guy).

Colin,

You are an expectation, not the rule

cheers.gif

IN many parts of the country programmers don't earn much above a dock worker. Programmers, I think are thought of a step below a good machinist in many shops, a necessary evil perhaps.

[ 12-30-2008, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions ]

I agree my shop thinks mastercam just programs the job like a microwave making popcorn. I just wish they had a clue sometimes on whats involved to draw program and post out a good accurate and mostly a effiant program. I am not saying its rocket sience but it ain't the same as running an engine lathe bridgeport either. I love getting time to make some manual parts sometimes, to me its more relaxing. I can't make as much as my ups driving buddy and I am one of the higher pays in our town, from what I've heard. Thats my ramble on why programmers are to come by.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

Just an FYI Guys and gals. I moved to Oregon from Cali in 2004. I took a 40% drop in pay. Good paying jobs for programmers are few and far between unless your in Portland or Seattle. Although I'm diong well here at Bowtech Archey you dont come here for the money. The pay scale is lousy for what you have to know.

quote:

I agree my shop thinks mastercam just programs the job like a microwave making popcorn. I just wish they had a clue sometimes on whats involved to draw program and post out a good accurate and mostly a effiant program. I am not saying its rocket sience but it ain't the same as running an engine lathe bridgeport either. I love getting time to make some manual parts sometimes, to me its more relaxing. I can't make as much as my ups driving buddy and I am one of the higher pays in our town, from what I've heard. Thats my ramble on why programmers are to come by.

Happy New Year

I am surprised at how many people think this way. Ive seen several people come through our shop in the last 15 years that think that you just get a model sent to you , you put the model in to mastercam (or whatever system you happen to be using), and poof! g-code appears.

Colin, am I hearing you right, if you know posts moding you are a higher paid then someone that does not or was this just an example of some of the things you know?

I have to say I have a HI knowledge of MC but not as much of post editing.Does this mean I should get paid less. this just question not attack. trying to see exactly were you are coming from in your posting.

I know for sure I would not really make the same monies in another state as I do in Cali.

quote:

Colin, am I hearing you right, if you know posts moding you are a higher paid then someone that does not or was this just an example of some of the things you know?

In my experience I don't think my boss even knows what I can do with post editing. I have custom posts for every type of machine control we have, including 5-axis, so I can post and go without editing. My pay level comes from my overall experience that includes 28 years in the business, planning and programming with good machining sequences, and designing and programming tooling. I've been lucky enough to get on the 5-axis path so my pay is higher.

Hi Jay,

That was just one example really. I'm in the same boat as you as far as Mastercam goes. I've met plenty of programmers that were faster at writing toolpaths than I am. I do like to try and have as complete a knowledge of Mastercam as possible. The only product I'm not very familiar with is Wire. I do find that I am one of the "go to" guys when people are having problems. I'm really good at figuring out what is causing a problem with a particular technique or toolpath, and coming up with a solution or work-around.

I'm not saying you should get paid less by any means, but it is kind of relative. I think Post work is one of the more challenging aspects of Mastercam. I've found that one of the things that has made me so good with Mastercam was being a full time instructor. I've taught Mastercam at college and for the Washington State reseller, and being a teacher forces you to learn new things constantly.

Thanks,

Colin.all your statements Makes good sense and I agree with you on the post thoughts and the teaching also.We are alike as I am always go to guy . I still have allot of the customer calling and emailing me for support. even over this holiday week I have been off.

Thank you for the reply and not taking this to hart, but more of an understanding.

Jay

All that about post editing sounds fine and its been in my to learn list but realy guys who has time to edit a post when you are up to your eye balls of parts to program and on top of that help the set up men, help the quality department plus other tasks on top of that.

As Gary, when I finished with a programm the set up man hardly have to change any thing on my code because I try to minimize after posting editing. This are things that owners don't come to see and hardly appreciate.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If it's important, you make time for it. I mean how much time is WASTED editing code??? Do the math.

MOST edits are cosmetic and can be handled fairly easily. Ask the questions here and we'll help you out.

I got moved into the cam department after 10 years on the floor. I got NO raise even though I'm considered one of the top programmers by the guys on the floor.

(but right now I'm dealing with some long term personal issues at home, so it's just easier to stay here)