Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'Wants' for Version 10

kathy

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:edit:

Now peeps are gonna wonder what the hell I'm talking about... biggrin.gif

:/edit:

Interesting observation, Makius, and partially true, but I was referring to the capabilities of MC vs other software, not it's position in the food chain of CAM sofware. Mastercam outperforms most other softwares I've used, and keeps up with the rest.

'Rekd teh Computer Science: solving today's problems tomorrow.

[ 06-06-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

This says it all about you clown boy.

quote:

I don't care what anyone says about anything

This statement makes you look like an idiot.

If you truly don't care, why are you still here ?

And another thing, you tell Rekd to get involved with people yet here he is talking to you. What your not a person ? just a smarta$$ ? what ?

You need to grow up and start acting a little bit more like a professional programmer instead of acting like a little kid pouting cuz he got his feelings hurt by someone who may be a little better at this than you are.

What did you guys do to James he's been real quiet on this one.He must be out of napalm.I've been reading this thread and it reminds me of some of the apprentices that I have come across in the past.They know everything and are never wrong. Its always some one or something elses fault. Enshole I can't beleive you would come on a Mastercam forum and sh*t all over it. IT'S A POOR CRAFTSMAN THAT BLAMES HIS TOOLS. Try working with what you are given you might be surprised by what you can acomplish.It's amazing how brave someone can be when they have the anonimety that the internet provides.If you don't want to play nice mabey you find a new place to hang .I've got 21 years doing this and I still learn something new every day.When I stop learning it will be time to quit.You can learn alot from these guys so take a pill(valium would be best) , relax and keep an open mind.

cheers.gif Noel

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sorry to disappoint guys. I let you down. This thread must've just slipped by then again this week I was out at two machines most of the time. I'm bummed I missed a good roast.

Looks like anusoll is scared. He edited out all of his little ingnorant comments like a wuss. Hey pal, why don't you stand by your words?

Back to the Wants for vX,

- I wish I can use two other stock to leave :

1. axial stock to leave

2. radial stock to leave

for ball/bull/flat end mills.

- Gouge checking for negative stock to leave

- Machining mesh entities such as STL/3DS just like any surface

I think the problem ensoll has is common in industry. You are so busy making parts, you don't have time to step back and explore all the features that have been added to Mastercam. In other words, you get in a rut.

I'd recommend getting the Demo version and playing with it at home, or just going to a trade show and looking over the AE's shoulders for a while: that's a real eye-opener. Or, buy a day of training from a power user AE. The money you spend is nothing compared to what you will gain.

quote:

I think the problem ensoll has is common in industry. You are so busy making parts, you don't have time to step back and explore all the features that have been added to Mastercam. In other words, you get in a rut.

I agree 100% Charles. I think a little tinkering on your own time will get you a long way. There's alot of stuff in MC and shooting out jobs as fast as you can alot of the times you don't ever really use everything that's been given to you, or know how to use it properly because you just don't have time to screw around flickin switches, checkin boxes and trying out all sorts of different toolpath styles and settings. It's the same for all of us, believe me, you need results and you need them yesterday.

quote:

And because of MC and the flawless code I get from it, (meaning I don't have to edit it, and rarely have to verify it because I'm confident with it), I don't have to spend all day at the machine or in front of MC.

Ditto. cool.gif

Zero teh hey look who's a senior member now tongue.gif

[ 06-09-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

Zero teh hey look who's a senior member now

CAM teh "respecting his elders"

My big landmark was 200 ... like my avatar ? Its a black cow eatin' grass at midnight biggrin.gif

I spoke too soon !

Edit: Thanks Webby biggrin.gif

[ 06-09-2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

anusoll?, LOL. I wish the bounding box would have extra options. In particular, we have an archaic controller on one of our machines- a 3 axis router. It automatically centers all imported NC files. I divide up my toolpaths into separate cuts and include an outer geometry perimeter that matches our controller's plate size. I run a 2D contour toolpath with compensation turned off. After each import, I delete the outer boundary leaving my surfaced or 2D part centered. This assures all toolpaths "line up properly". Anyway, I wish The bounding box could- create lines that bound geometry and then instead of just just being able to expand along the x, y, and z coordinates, but also have the option to "automatically center lines AFTER inputing the exact lengths of the lines. Make sense? In other words, if I could select the geometry, add a bounding box with lines only, and then input- x axis length= 56", y axis length = 6" (and leaving z at 0).

I’m sure some of these were mentioned before but they’re probably worth repeating. Also we’re still stuck in 8.1.1 land so forgive me if I missed some of these in 9.1.

In no particular order:

The ability to have subgroups in the Operation Manager.

A crosshair option for bounding box. Even if it was for only the top plane of that box.

I know this has been mentioned before but an Excel or matrix like interface to the operation manager. While I don’t think it should look like these:

picture 1

[06/12/2003 removed extralinks. One should do it. - bryan smile.gif ]

You get the idea.

Speed control slider bar for Backplot like in Verify.

Save an STL file at ANY point in verify.

Insert Patterns with Color and/or Level and/or Attributes override not just the current all or nothing.

A Pattern manager.

Improve tool and operations manager. Can we say resizable dialog boxes? I knew we could.

Delete all drill points option for Drill ops.

A window option for deleting drill points in an operation.

Ability to add drill points at different points in the order, not just tag them on to the end. Maybe use a point list similar to that for contours? Then you could right click a point in the manager and pick “add new points here.”

Have Levels on/off and entities shown/hidden independent for multiple view ports. I would like to show several views in the view ports with different levers showing in each. Also I would like to hide selected entities in only one view port.

Add some kind of text attribute for individual entities. If I had this alone I could make some effin cool c-hooks. A small size of 256 characters would be fine. Please make this an attribute not something linked to the memory table like Notes. I’ve lost too many notes to ‘memory table errors.’

Multiple undo. ‘nuff said

Ability to use depth cuts for contour toolpaths with ramping turned on.

Faster regeneration for leftover toolpaths.

Ability to link geometry across multiple operations. The best example of this I can think of is say you have 3 ops: spot drill, drill, and tap. These could be linked and when you add a point to one, it’s added to the other two. This would become really handy when these already linked operations are stored in operation libraries. Pull in the ops, assign points (or whatever) to one op, and regenerate all three.

More than one row of icons on the tool bar. I figure the icons would have to be smaller also.

Copy and paste geometry.

Fix what ever causes those annoying ‘memory table’ errors.

Add a cplane definition to the stock definitions. That way it could be set to any angle and orientation, not just square to the top cplane. I think this might be in v9 but I can never seem to get it working right. I would like the view (cplane) number explicitly shown in job setup.

Ability to sort and unsort operations. Say operations were in a 1, 2, 3, 4 order. Sort by tool and they are now 4, 2, 1, 3. Do whatever to the ops. Unsort. Sets back to 1,2,3,4 order.

Be able to turn off various redundant dialog boxes that pop up and do nothing. Also set default values on other dialog boxes. An example of this would be the t/c plane check box in the operation import dialog box. I want it always set to on.

It would be nice when posting and using ‘overwrite’ for NC (or nci) have mastercam ask for the directory first THEN (over)write without asking. For us each machine has its own drive/path which it further subdivided by job. I have the posts already defaulting to the correct drive/path. I still need to further drill down to the correct job folder for that machine. The only way to do this now is to have MC ask to overwrite. Which gets real annoying when you have a lot of toolpaths to post.

Ability to customize the right click menu.

Ok this one is pure fantasy but it would be nice. Distributed regenerations. For really big multiple surface toolpaths it would be nice to be able to open one file on separate machines and regenerate the separate toolpaths. Then when they are done have them merge/save back to the original file without overwriting what the other machine worked on. I’m sure it would have some limitations like limited changing of variables in operation manager. No deleting geometry. Changes that would only affect that op and not the other ops.

Have Design kick the designers in the nuts whenever they create arcs with radiuses so big they crap out the machines. Or design steels too tall or too big for a machine. Or give you a contour that doesn’t chain. Or sharp corners at the bottom of deep pockets. (Double kick for this one)

Create-curve-surface outline. It would be nice to create a set of curves that outlines/wraps a set of surfaces from a particular cplane. Create-curve-all edges doesn’t always cut it. This especially apparent with surfaces based on tubes or arcs. With create curve edges you get 2 arcs and a line that, from the side, looks like a U. With outline and the cplane orientated to the side of the tube you would get a rectangular outline.

Better holder representations in verify. Pull the holder parameters as they are set in the tool definition.

Unlimited levels. Or at the very least, go from using one byte (256) to represent levels to 2 bytes (65536). I can live with 65 thousand levels.

Chained operations for surface leftovers. Right now with leftovers you have your tool and then tell the operation what the previous tool was. It would be nice to string several of these together so it auto-magically knows what the previous tool was. You would only have to set the previous tool for the first toolpath in the chain. I would think this would cut the net-regeneration time in half for all the toolpaths that chain. I figure leftovers calculate where the first tool would cut, then where the second tool cuts, and finally compares them for their differences. If several leftovers where chained each tool would only have to be calculated once and then it would compare the differences. Not say, calculate tool 1 and 2 for the first toolpath. Tool 2 again and tool 3 for the second toolpath. Tool 3 again and tool 4 for the third toolpath. And so on. It would be more like 1, 2, 3, 4 and find the differences.

Consolidate all the various settings and options into one place. Right now we have: screen configure, job setup, settings in the operation manager, posts, etc. Lets get as many of these in one place as possible.

Under edit nci it would be nice to be able to delete or move a point in a contour toolpath and have it apply to all passes not just that particular point in that particular pass.

Bryan smile.gif

[ 06-12-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: bryan314 ]

Bryan,

That's one heck of a shopping list rolleyes.gif remind me not to ask what you would like for Christmas biggrin.gif

quote:

Unlimited levels. Or at the very least, go from using one byte (256) to represent levels to 2 bytes (65536). I can live with 65 thousand levels.

Personally, I only use about five or six different levels but then again I am not doing a tremendous amount of complex surfacing at the moment - even still I don't think I have ever used more than twenty. Basically, I thought that 256 was an overkill situation.

P.S. Kathy - wow look at these requests and responses and now I hear you have a heavy right foot as well (IMPRESSIVE) biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Bravo Bryan well thought out. The 6 pictures were probably overkill, but very nice work smile.gif

On the levels thing, My Cad software recently introduced unlimited levels. These can be nested and drug (dragged) and droped at will. If nested, turning a parent levels display off also hides the child levels (quite handy).

quote:

Have Design kick the designers in the nuts whenever they create arcs with radiuses so big they crap out the machines. Or design steels too tall or too big for a machine. Or give you a contour that doesn’t chain. Or sharp corners at the bottom of deep pockets. (Double kick for this one)

This feature was added to 9.1 ... you really should upgrade biggrin.gif

CAMmando,

I call shenanighans (sp) on your comment. biggrin.gif

quote:

On the levels thing, My Cad software recently introduced unlimited levels. These can be nested and dragged and dropped at will. If nested, turning a parent levels display off also hides the child levels

Unfair response, please name your cad software, or do I simply drool until Mastercam brings it to the forefront anyways; I simply cannot imagine wading through 200 levels to get to the quick and produce the part!

Yo Gcode, congrats on the senior status; I think there is a number of members approaching the zone in the next few months, including your's truly.

cheers.gif

Regards,

Um. Wow. I'm truely speechless except for

quote:

'Rekd teh