Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How many of you have a Space Ball unit

Jayson Kramer

I am starting to see more use of the Space ball units. so lets put this to a pole of how many have and don't and would like to have.

This would be Example, Space Navigator or a Space Pilot and so on.

[ 07-01-2009, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Jay Kramer @ Precision Programming ]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG ! I can't believe there was actually a person who finds it in their way... Maybe they just accidentally clicked the wrong selection in the survey...

I bought my own (refurbished) Space Pilot for work and it is some of the best money I ever spent.

I don't really want the new one. I don't think I'd use it's improved features...

In fact, I think I'd be just as happy with the Space Navigator...

I just bought a Space Pilot a few months ago, and I'm already in the, "If I don't have it I feel like my left arm is cut off" category. It's just such an outstanding tool.

I tied the Named Views box, Analyze distance, Analyze Properties, Gview=Tplane, Pick Rotational Center, and the level manager into the customizable soft keys. It's also handy having the fit button right there at your thumb, along with Alt, Ctrl, Esc, and Shift right there at your pinky.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My Space Navigator works well (AFAIK) in CATIA V5 R17 and MC. Not sure why it would be any different in UG. UG maybe has different driver implementation???? headscratch.gif

quote:

How about "...if I don't have one I feel like my left arm is cut off..."

+1000

and the comment about smooth, you just don't have it setup right for Mastercam, my movement is as clean and smooth and the day is long.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

NOw that you mention it John, I do have different settings for CATIA than I do MC. In MC, I have the sensitivity jacked WAY up whereas in CATIA, I have it set to be a bit slower. Strictly a preference thing, both are smooth. I am WAY more comfortable in the MC environment than CATIA.

I had a co-worker who just found it in his way. He was a guy that had a certain way of doing things, thought that was the best way and that everyone should do it his way. He wouldn't use it enough to get used to it.

I had a space navigator here at work and had problems with it so I took it home to practice with it and have different problems there.

At work it is jerkey but sometimes so is my backplot. We have the Internet, Microsoft Exchange server for email, and Communicator for instant messaging. It seems all these apps are looking for a network connection and when they can't connect everything stops until it connects or times out. It can sometimes take 30-40 seconds to regen a tool path that usually happens instantly so this is not Navigators fault.

At home it works smoothly but not all the actions work and sometimes it just keeps moving.

Almost everytime I go to use it I have to redo the settings. The Z actions are not checked so I have to turn them on and relaunch the app to get that to work. The settings don't stay put from one boot to the next. I also have found the part sometimes just floats off the screen. I expect it to stop when I release knob but often it keeps going. I have to bump the knob for it to stop, kind of like bumping a toilet handle when it keeps running. If it was problem free I would love it but it just isn't so it sits unused most of the time.

bogusmill sounds like there is a issue with the unit. as it should not keep moving after you let go and if you bump it and it stops there is an issue. contact 3D Connexion about this.

I have two Space Navigators and two Space Pilots and a space Travler and do not have these issues. they work great. but I have seen this in the past.