Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peel Mill

Newbeeee™

Just finally gotten around to trying the peel mill in anger today.

St Stl 316 producing a slot 3.5mm wide x 3.5mm deep on a prototrak R8 knee mill.

Length of slot 550mm.

3mm cutter

3.5mm doc

0.125 stepover

Feed 200mm/min

Speed 3000 rpm

Coolant

Tool looked new after and no burrs with mirror finish.

Hats off cnc. This toolpath is gunna get used a lot from now on.

• 1 month later...

CParish,

You have to change your thinking a little to use dynamic hst efficiently. It is a high speed tool path. Used correctly, you can feed your tools much faster achieving much higher material removal rates. Some times it doesnt make sense to use this path, but used correctly when the situation calls for this type of strategy, it is a very nice path.

i just rough a pocket with a 7/32 EM at .725 DOC 12% step over at 350 ipm

took less than 5 minutes to cut roughly a 4x5in pocket with .25 corner radius

instead of drill/rough /finish/rest mill

1 tool do the job faster than 4 tool

and i don't had to hold the part with 40 clamps to hold it in place , just 2 is more than enough wink.gif

be aware that the more passes you make, the more the tool will wear and that's why in many cases a heavy cut can provide better tool life. However, IMO it all comes down to how much volume can you remove with the tool and obvioulsy the fastest method to remove the volume.

Wow Colin, if I can kick up to speeds/feeds in this material to your specs that is a monster volume upgrade. I'll give this a shot on Monday. I understand chip thinning but standard thinning at .035 would bring the feed up to .0016 per tooth. (yes it's four flutes) Can you normally double up speed/feed specs without burning or snapping the tooling with this process? 20CB-3 sort of machines like a stainless but it also generates heat like a nickel alloy.

Colin,

This is on a 1-1/2 and a 2 year old Enshu JE80S horizontal with a Fanuc 18i control. Max rapid/feedrate is 3543ipm(90000mm) x,y,z. This is a sensitive part so I won't be able to show it. The material is 1"x1_3/4" flat stock sawed to 1.6". The outside shape of this part is something like a very fat smallcase lower case letter t (or a cross) with various recesses and is also where most of the material is removed. The wings of the "t" are posts .66" tall and the floor is about 3/8" thick. The intersection of the posts and floor must be sharp. I use a separate sharp 1/4" stub length for finishing the floor at a 30% stepover. This surface requires a mirror finish with absolute flatness and using a larger em or a larger stepover increases the amout of polishing and the subsequent possibility damaging the flatness. There are currently 28 tools being used with the smallest drill at 1/2mm (.020) and the smallest em at 1/32". One part currently has 6 hours of machine time in three operations. The 1/4" roughing op takes a little more than 1/2 hour of that time and right now is my best opportunity to decrease this time cost.

That's a very small part (similar to what we do) to run very fast feedrates since the machine (our Mazak's) can't move that quick in small features. I would be interested to know how your machine performs. Recently I was engraving a part with .06 tall letters (.005 deep) and I was going 100 IPM and needed to slow down to 60 IPM so the letters could be read. And even at 60 IPM they were still not perfect (probably would have needed to be 40 IPM)

Dave,

The Enshu website used to have the acceleration specs but I see they dumbed the website down. I think it's 1g. The highest feedrate I've programmed is 1620ipm but the fastest feed I've seen on the screen was about 12-1300ipm on an 8"? cut. We run a 303sst heatsink with a 1/8" high feed mill at 15000rpm, 330ipm, .005doc. The longest slots are just under 2" and on those slots we do hit that feedrate. I don't worry about part integrity, I just set my finish feedrates and let the contour control (G05.1) worry about that.

Ok back to peel mill biggrin.gif

I use this toolpath on an ancient Fadal VMC with what seems to be a 1hp spindle.

316L

1/2" 4 Flute

800SFM

0.030" Radial DOC

1" Axial DOC

90IPM

0.010" Microlift

150IPM back feedrate

0.125" rounding Radius

It just plain rips material out and the spindle load is nill.

You have to be careful with the transition from cutting to back feedrates. If your machine is not tight (like mine) then you need to play with this and the rounding radius to keep it from banging. Also use the arc filter to get the code down in size. Use "retract at distance" and play with the lenght to get the tool to retract instead of traveling around the part if using a core rough.

I live by this toolpath. especially on Stainless and Tungsten parts....

I use dynamic mill for core roughing and pocketing and peel mill for cutting slots and even contoured features. I cut through 1" thick tungsten in an arc with peel mill at 90IPM at full depth...

I've got a job coming up that has 2 .280 wide

slots in 302 SS.

The part is .400 thick and I have to work on both sides.

I was thinking I'd try 3/16" 3 or 4 flute and

rough with a peel mill .200 deep from each side, then finish with a 1/4" from the second side.

Does a 15% radial stepover sound about right for a cut like this??

[ 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

I checked Destiny's website and NuTech Sales

out of Brea is our main perisables supplier.

We have a couple of vending machines to dispense

inserts, drills traps etc and Nu Tec stocks them.

That will make it easy to try some of thier tools.

Thanks for the lead smile.gif