Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

!@#$%^&* ARGH! I Hate the new Trim!!!!

DavidSV

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that is a pain is when you are trimming two entities that are really close together.

James, you ever have a chain that looks complete, but there are some really small gaps/overlaps that are stopping you from chaining a toolpath? With the trim preview, it can be a real pain to try and re-trim a section.

I also find that the graphical preview takes a split second to invoke, so if you are used to trimming quickly, you can get out of sequence very quickly, because the preview has not updated while you are picking the second entity.

I just think it is one of those features that can slow you down.

Trim worked just fine for how many years?

Now we have to cater to the noobs that can't figure it out.

Sorry, I'm done ranting.

quote:

Now we have to cater to the noobs that can't figure it out.

the noobs need to get some basic training on MC and they will be fine. trimming is not a space shuttle launch.

this getting a 6 year old to program is got to stop it seems like we have taken steps backwards not forwards in the software JM2C

give us the option to turn it OFF!

I just hate it because if I have a complex model that I am doing wireframe with, and I am trying to trim 2 lines, it will keep giving me a pop up that interrupts the process because it can't preview what I am not trying to do. Then I have to try again and again, reposition the model, so that I can click the proper lines without getting too close to the lines I don't want. Argh! Its just a pain in the xxxx and I wish there was an option to turn it off. Give me the alarm after I click or something....

quote:

Just out of curiosity's sake, why don't you like it?

X4 Trimming Auto Preview Feature

See my second post in that thread.

And, the zero length entity messages are becoming annoying too.

This is one feature that really needs to be permanently discarded. Mastercam is supposed to be a CAD/CAM system, making it into an Etch-A-Sketch is NOT forward progress.

quote:

I just hate it because if I have a complex model that I am doing wireframe with, and I am trying to trim 2 lines, it will keep giving me a pop up that interrupts the process because it can't preview what I am not trying to do. Then I have to try again and again, reposition the model, so that I can click the proper lines without getting too close to the lines I don't want.

+ 1 quintillion

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Fair enough. It has not been a problem for me yet. I asked, not because I wanted to be a PITA, or a fanboi, but because I pretty much like it. But, I can definitely see an advantage for being able to turn it off.

JM2C

I complained about it in the Beta cycle and still hate it for the most part. It to me is more of a PIA than an help. I was glad to see the CAD side getting some love, but too much of something sometimes can be a bad thing and just like the annoying errors on posting this is another one that got to much work and thought put into it. I still have posts that spit out perfect code and show nothing that is an in the error dialog but say there are errors. cuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif

I understand people put effort into their work to bring something like this to use the users and not trying to dismiss that hard work, but see this preview thing a problem that effects many long time users to the point it is going backwards from a user standpoint not forward.

HTH

I wouldn't mind the preview if the result matched the preview. Most of my "zero length line" errors are eliminated by not going directly from one entity to the next. I simply make a small loop off one and onto the next. Another "work around" and a little more mouse movement, but much fewer errors.