Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

!@#$%^&* ARGH! I Hate the new Trim!!!!

DavidSV

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i'm seeing a theme here...

Obviously the intention of the change was to be helpful to everyone, (Similar to how filleting works) not just new users. During testing we did find and fix a lot of cases that produced the stupid Zero length entity errors.

I would ask that you send us samples where these errors still occur, along with a video of how you produced it.

If you don't have some sort of video recorder there is a free one called Jing, that is put out by TechSmith - http://www.jingproject.com/ -

I would rather user programmer time to try to resolve problems and make it work reliably for everyone then to use it to make a way to disable the functionality.

quote:

I would rather user programmer time to try to resolve problems and make it work reliably for everyone then to use it to make a way to disable the functionality.

Ken,

Whether it works properly or not, it slows down the trimming operation. I hope you'll consider adding the option to turn it off first, then fixing it. That would instantly "fix" the problem for those of us who know how to trim, then you can take the time to fix it (for the minority, I would guess.)

Thad

here is an exemple

its 2 lines at 90deg and .008 corner radii extend by .005

when i trim it i got to be careful to where im clicking , and with a .008 radii i got to play a lot with zoom in/out , in previous versions i only got to click the 2 entity to join them with "trim 2 entity" without paying attention on what side of it i am clicking

th_trim.jpg

if you need a better quality video just contact me

[email protected]

The preview during trimming is actual geometry. That can be verified by analyzing the previews, or a position on them, in the midst of a trim operation. That is what I think is causing most of the headaches here.

In my rather humble and perhaps uninformed opinion, the software should be written in such a way that actual geometry is created only by the user, not temporarily by the software where some other form of graphical representation could be used.

To try to make my "point", heh, what are cursor "blips" in every other system I've used, that is temporary marker points drawn on the screen when selecting midpoints, endpoints, centers, etc are actual point geometry in Mastercam. I ran into a situation that caused problems for me in, I believe it was, X2, reported it as a bug, it got fixed the next update, then it re-appeared in the next version and I decided to just live with it with caution.

I'm with others. Give us the option to disable the feature. Even if it gets fixed, it's not something I'll ever *need*.

Even CAD software doesn't waste time or resources with something as mundane as a trim preview. If you don't have a clue as to what the results are going to be, you are in the wrong job! And if by chance you get an incorrect result you still have the UNDO button to save your behind!

Ken, what happened to the double click functionality?

By that I mean you go into trim and single is the default. (no buttons are selected) It used to be that if you double clicked on the second line, it acted like trim 2 lines. Now, if I do this, the second line is ALWAYS trimmed to the wrong side. Is this going to be fixed?

It works if you select the trim 2 lines button. But it used to be real handy to be able to use, in effect, 2 functions in one.

Why we are talking about trim do we have an idea when quadrants on circles being a PIA might get addressed. I have seen this since Version 7 and has always drove me crazy. You go to trim to a circle and then it will trim back to the quadrant then you have to sometimes even extend the circle you trimmed or you will have to break the circle before starting to trim. I will take the preview all day long if this one could be addressed.

Just make a disable switch for the trim preview instead of trying to convince us that it is somehow beneficial for everyone. For the small fillets and stuff I immediately delete them (small arcs) and trim by re-filleting is that what we should do? Maybe dump trim all together and just re-draw the lines? I've known how to trim since v6 no preview needed.

Erik