Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

!@#$%^&* ARGH! I Hate the new Trim!!!!

DavidSV

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

How about tossing an undo button into the trim function bar. Then when something goes wrong, you won't have to back out of the function in order to undo. While you are at it put the undo button into ALL of the relevant toolbars.

+1

Some of the software I use has undo available for pretty much everything. It's extremely handy. I would love to have CNC Software expand the function of undo so we don't have to back out of a ribbon bar to use it.

Tough crowd... smile.gif

Since i don't have control over how difficult, or dangerous, something is to code all i can do is ask for the appropriate programmer to look into a problem to give us an idea how long something will take. That's why i almost never promise something will be in a release.

But in this case i can tell you that it looks like there will be a switch in Alpha 1 of X5.

At the same time i am pretty confident that there WILL NOT be an undo button added to this function.

quote:

When I trim 2 entities it is a crap shoot whether it keeps the right sides as well as the zero length issue.

this is real common when trimming splines.. I don't even try anymore. I enable the break feature

(hotkey "B")

The zero length issue usually involves an arc and a line.. If you choose the line first, it usually works properly.

If you want a real adventrue, draw 3 intesecting circle and try trimming those..

You'll be pounding the keyboard in frustration

before you're done.

Eric / Rickster

I've been an autocad jocky since the launch of r11 (17 years???), and I guess I've gotten use to doing things this way.

The way I use the software/type of work I do (nearly exclusively 2d) needs either 2x lines trimmed to sharp corner, or to a specific rad size.

In my mind (?) 1x command is easier to select with either a 0 or the required fillet size entered.

For trimming, in mcam I exclusively use the trim divide.

It's a real pity that this cannot be added to the right click mouse menu.

Steve,

We would all like an Undo in every function. The problem is that CNC Software traced a bunch of unhandled exception errors to the Undo/Redo buffer and it's interaction between functions that are open.

So, would you all rather have the Undo functionality back or a more stable Mastercam? That is the issue at this point.

Colin, we want to have our cake and eat it too...

That and we want undo on the trim function. I mean ****, if it ****s up 1/2 the time, then at least give me the ability to undo it and try it again, Without having to exit the function to undo it, relaunch the function and try it again!

*sigh*

Having a switch to disable the preview will solve this entire problem. This is slated for X5, after that we will have a trim function that works like it did in all the previous X versions, so the need for undo will be much less.

Would it be nice, sure, but I can live without Inline Undo if it keeps my system stable.

2 cents, with hopes for improvement.

All of our programmers have noticed a difference (in a negative way) in the trim function in X4. I suggest trim 1 or 3 entities as much as possible, this seems to "avoid" the issue.

When we do use trim 2 it does seem to function differently.

My guess though, if there was a switch to turn this feature of before the trimming issue was solved it would not make a difference. The trim function appears to function different, turning off a graphic function is not going to help.

Great SNL quote: "FIX IT!"