Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Feed Mill Recomendations

FTI2007

Good morning all,

I was looking for recomendations on a good high feed mill to be used to cut p-20 and 4140 using 50 taper hass and a takumi. I wanted to know what you guys are using and why one might be better than another. We currently use mostly ingersoll and seco for our other insertables. It will mainly be used for roughing 3d surfaces. Our company doesnt like to spend money on tooling so we only get one chance at this. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mitsubishi has a feed mill that has extra clamps on it that provide a little more rigidity than some of the other feed mills. But we've moved away from Mitsubishi because their tool rep isn't very good.

We also use Seco feed mills. They have a more positive rake that is more free cutting.

I haven't done recent research into it so there might be something newer that will help you out.

I found some excelent tooling from Kennametal that seems to to do a great job. I have some face mills that hold a variety of different insert in the same holder and a set of roughing end mill from 1/2" to 1-1/2" that all use the same style insert. I just order different grades of carbide for different apps. Best advise is to find a GOOD tool rep. and do alot of shopping to find what best fits YOUR shops application.

We've got Iscars here too. I find the Iscars to be tougher and the Mitsubishis freer cutting.

I use a Mitsubishi 2.5" shell mill on a 10" extended arbor to mill a 4.5" x 10.5" deep hole in steel. We use through tool coolant to blow the chips out of the hole. I tried the same toolpath with an Iscar but the spindle load was too high.

quote:

I find the Iscars to be tougher and the Mitsubishis freer cutting.

We have only used Iscar. While the metal removal rates are awesome, I am concerned about what the tool does to the machine. When running these, it sounds like a little man is inside the machine beating the s***t out of it with a sledge hammer.

This guy sells a mitsubishi knock-off that takes the mitsubishi insert. I have not tried the konck-off tool holder, but it might be worth checking out.

http://www.maritool.com/Indexable-Tooling-..._180/index.html

Also, Mitsubishi makes a few different chip breakers so some inserts might take less HP than others.

I am partial to Mitsubishi stuff....if you can't find a distributor e-mail me.

Just switched to Seco 217/220 high feed mills from mits AJX line, no comparison!!! They cut WAY freer at at least 150% of the AJX SFM too! Less heat in the part and have better insert life, can run at high overhang with a very stable cut. BTW We cut mostly preheat treat in the 30-32RC range and soft A2/D2. I am going to try my 2.00" with a 15.o" overhang next week sometime in aluminum. Also I think that a 0 dergree rake works better on these materials over the positive rake I seen mentioned up there somewhere, positive works good for gummy stuff like alum or stainless though