Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trim 2 entities keeps wrong side.

Thee Rickster ™

X4MU2

anybody else seeing this since the trim preview

was introduced.

Does turning off the troublesome trim preview stop

trim from keeping the wrong side?

Getting tired of trimming 2 entities and it

keeps the wrong piece of one of the entities.

It happens 50% of all trims

so, I....

-exit out

-hit undo

-trim using break

-delete the unwanted pieces

-exit out

If it does fix the bug, how do you turn off

the preview?

Thanks in advance

Rick

quote:

I have had trouble just trimming 2 lines that intersect. I had to extend the lines so they overlap and then the trim worked

Are you sure they weren't splines? Splines won't trim (and extend) past their end points. You must first extend them so they cross each other, then trim them back. Lines will extend OR shorten when being trimmed.

Thad

quote:

Are you sure they weren't splines? Splines won't trim (and extend) past their end points. You must first extend them so they cross each other, then trim them back. Lines will extend OR shorten when being trimmed.

Im sure they were lines. Some of them worked and some did not. I did get them to trim but like i said i had to extend lines so they overlap each other. Which should not have made a difference.

quote:

I have never used Screen / Combine Views. What does it do?

It takes circles and arcs that may be on different parallel planes (like top and bottom or left and right) and sets them all to the same plane without physically moving them. Trimming doesn't like arcs with different parallel planes.

I have had the same problem in X3 MU1. What I have found that works as a solution is this. Pick each element farther away from the point of intersection. Usually has to be more than the amount the elements are being extended or shortened. This works at least 99% of the time.

Thad is correct too that unless a spline is already past the (theorectical) point of intersection it won't work.

Lines and arcs do not need to be extended to create an intersection, but splines do.