Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The New eMastercam

Webby

quote:

It was on the table, but the current version is not sitting well with even some long-time supporters.

You don't necessarily need to use the most current version. 3.8.x seems to be the most acclaimed one out there from my perspective.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

You don't necessarily need to use the most current version. 3.8.x seems to be the most acclaimed one out there from my perspective.

That's true - it's used a lot. There's some other softwares though that seemed to fit better with what we're going to try to be doing, and people slag the vBulletin company lately..

I like a lot of vbulletin forums (www.mylespaul.com)

But I think you're going to find the new forum system much better

quote:

Have to get back to you on that. Even so, while these numbers would provide a good baseline, we'll be potentially requiring much more bandwidth for the new site.

I doubt it. Even if you add another board or two traffic isnt gonna be increased that much. Unless you want to put in a HTML5 avatar 3d playground (lol I didnt say flash cuz I'm a fanboi tongue.gif ). If it does jump up to using say, 20% more, that's not bad. I've always pushed the borderline on connection capability's. You get more than you need, take a baseline average load then scale back with 40% extra for denial of service attacks/misc crap people do (doubt this site will be attacked).

This board has little to no multi-media though, we expect more than that. We don't expect the traffic to increase in a major way immediately (but we hope it does), but we expect more bandwidth out of individual users

Storage-wise though, new forum will be less than current forum.

We want to avoid any reason to 'prune' the forum, or if that ever happens again, we maintain important information.

quote:

Its already there

My Profile/Preferences

Hide Avatar

No .. turning of SIGGY photos is NOT an option.

Hide avatar ONLY effects the avatars [which I don't mind] Webby polices the avatars very nicely.

However, some users get carried away which size and quantity in their siggy pics. Would be nice to turn those off if one choses to do so!

Jo, if you're using Firefox, just download the Adblock Add-On. Just right-click each sig picture you don't want to see, and block it. It will never show up again. You'd be amazed how much more streamlined the forum is without 76 signature photos to load on every page!

V- bulletin or PHPBB V3

both one are pretty versatile

i use both as a Forum Administrator and i really like them

but as an administrator, PHPBB admin panel is a bit confusing, and v-bulletin's admin panel is pretty easy to use, and you got some very advance setting

quote:

most definitely need an IGNORE option that will block any thread we choose

I never thought of an ignore for a

whole thread.. the ones I'm familiar

with just allow blocking individual

users.. on one thread Is used to

frequent, there was a seriously vile

troll carrying on a 3 year conversation

with himself.. The entire forum had him on

ignore. biggrin.gif

Guest Tyler Yanta

quote:

it would be kinda cool G.then ONLY topics you are interested in will show on the screen.can something like that be done?

Not sure about physically hiding topics however you'll be able to rate threads (among other things) so it will be easier to identify content you don't want to see.

quote:

I never thought of an ignore for a

whole thread.. the ones I'm familiar

with just allow blocking individual

users.. on one thread Is used to

frequent, there was a seriously vile

troll carrying on a 3 year conversation

with himself.. The entire forum had him on

ignore.

That wouldn't have been Cliff by any chance, would it?

quote:

I didnt read all, so sorry if this is a repost. On other forum I visit, they have the option to delete a post made by yourself (only) or even your thread...again, provided you are the creater of said post/thead.

We had the ability to delete our threads/posts years ago. It was taken away when some people started abusing it and the half hour edit limit was put in place. I prefer it the way it is now.

quote:

When you post a topic and when someone reply's it will send a email to you with responses.

Most definitely. There will also be a feature where you can "watch" a specific forum or sub-forum for new content if you wish (in addition to being able to watch just an individual thread).

quote:

I would like to see some kind of "human" check to stop the scripts and bots from just making a new account.

That was one of our core requirements of the new platform. We should see significantly less spam with the new system as it will incorporate active monitoring algorithms to prevent unwanted (automated) account / post generation.