Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Our new Mori Lathe!!

kccadcam

Yes,, we plan on trying to program with Mastercam.

It does have the conversational control, we are signed up with the on-line courses at Mori.

Haven't had a chance to look at the course yet, but it's supposed to simulate the machine on-line.

Tim at Mcam NorthWest says he has a post already dialed in for this exact machine.

Get to see that next week.....

I don't think they put mapps iv on the lathes. We bought a NL2500/700 in March and it has Mapps III. I was at the mori grand opening of their new headquarters and I did see a new lathe with esprit though. Hmm, I don't know now. The screen should be 19" lcd though. It looks from the pictures that it is Mapps III. I guess we could just wait for an answer. Am I rambling?

Cool machine....we got one of the exact same thing back in January. No lower turret means no sync'ing means mastercam can do a pretty decent job with it. We had alreay spent a bit of time with MPLMASTER to dial in a NL-3000 (with no sub) and the ZT-2500 (sub with upper & lower turret...you remember that machine) so adding this in was cake.

This machine (the 2500SY/700) was also the victim of one of the potentially worst crashes I have seen in YEARS....The operator had a piece of stainless steel hanging out 3 ft out of the head stock.....at 3000 rpm it did what things do...bent 90 deg & beat the living sh!t out of things. We found chunks of sheet metal 50' away....not small chunks, but BIG. When you get your machine you will see....there is a sheet metal box on the outside of the enclosure/headstock. That was mangled beyond recognition and on top of the mill office....

quote:

bent 90 deg & beat the living sh!t out of things.

Ouch. Thank god for enclosures. Lucky no one got hurt. Do you remember the shaft dia? 3ft at 3k sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Saw a couple of these machines yesterday, a part was run on one. Mori makes some nice stuff. Quiet.

• 1 month later...

We have that same exact machine. We do not program with Mastercam yet but im pushing for a lathe seat. We do however subcontract out complicated programming. We provided the post which is really basic and i still have to tweek the code after its done being programmed. Its a crapy post at best i admit and im the guy that wrote it. We have been searching for someone with a better one. Someone that is actually using it vs coming from a CAD /CAM rep company (have not had good experiences) . As soon as we do find a good post we plan on purchasing the lathe module right away.

Posts are a very sore spot with me and CAD/CAM companies and up for some other discussion. I have traded posts over the years with other shops and seems to work out for both parties. I am surprised there is not a database of shared posts out there.

Hey pal, it usually works the other way around....

Chris, In his defense, with these lathes, I too think that knowing a good post is out there is very important.

I went thru the same exercise. I know members of this forum have posts for that machine but the dealers have posts that are not fully proven. From what I have been told there are issues with polar interp with some of the posts.

So, I assume his point to be "we are not going to add the lathe seat until we know we can get a solid post for the machine"