Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What CAN Mastercam do that other CAM systems CAN'T?

Thad

I decided to start a separate thread so I wouldn't take away from Jammer's thread.

Zero said..

quote:

If the money does not matter, maybe its time to show them what Mastercam CAN do that the others CANT.

I'm not trying to start a sh!t storm here, but can anyone give me some specific examples?

Thad

Well we do a lot which we take for granted, that other systems can't or just started to do, for example Full Toolpath Associativety. Mastercam Term of associativety, and the others are different, for example they might say it is associative but what they mean is that they can get the information from the other program or operation and apply it then they still have to chain the geometry ,where we just have to press Regen Path.

Plus Mastercam provides a high quality of Support.

Ability to edit posts and not have to pay your arm & leg for it.

100% control of pocketing & contouring cycles.

The list goes on and on. I have used other softwares and this is my personal opinion, they just don't come close to the "full use" arena of the cad/cam wars. Mastercam has it all and you REALLY don't get reamed when you want the functionality.

I need to stop there, I am getting hot-headed. I will let other forum members chime in now.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mastercam can stand on it's own merits!

It does not need some clown in a V-Neck sweater putting his face all over the place just so people won't forget about him.

JM2C

Well, only really ever using 2 other cam products I probably shouldn't have said it that way. I probably should have said what can the other product do that Mastercam can't . It just seems to me that every sales pitch I've ever heard from some guy selling this or that cam package seems to do some kind of Mastercam bashing in his pitch. I've never really been shown something in another cam product that I couldn't accomplish in Mastercam. And as for support...this forum says it all. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What????

quote:

Why the personal attack on Bill Gibbs? This is the second time you've made specific comments about him/GibbsCAM.

Correction, it's GibbSCAM. biggrin.gifwink.gif

Besides, I didn't say his name so how could it be personal? You know something about him I don't?

[ 09-10-2002, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've used a number of other software packages as well but I've found that they are all WAY more cumbersome to use IMNSHO. Lot's of input required, has a UNIX look to it, illogical, expensive, mandatory annual maintenance, that does not even go towards upgrades, that's just to use it! eek.gif Little to no post processor support, or they cost a ton for a simple 3 axis post. Or they're not truly associative.... the list goes on and on , and on....

[ 09-10-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

quote:

What CAN Mastercam do that other CAM systems CAN'T?

Thad, it is very good question.

Just look around in this forum. Is there any Ford, GM, GE, NASA...employees here? No, they are using Pro/E, UG, CATIA...They are big guys. Who are we? We are mall Machine shop, job shop owners, programmers and operators. We are school instructors and small company engineers. What kind CAD software do we have? AutoCad, Solidworks, Rhino.... What kind machines do we use? We use all brand CNC lathe, VMC, CNC routers....What kind CAM do we need? It has to be flexible, capable (can do the job the big guy can do) and affordable. That is "What CAN Mastercam do that other CAM systems CAN'T?" MasterCam can make many many many little guys happy.

Remember the big men's MAC and little guys' PC? What happened? Popularity won the war.

quote:

i think mastercam is good but it has a long way to go to be the best!

RAJ, you are new in MasterCam (I guess). Give your self another year.

MasterCam has never tried to be "the best" one. It is definitely the most popular one because that "CAN MasterCam do that other CAM systems CAN'T". It will be more popular when V10 (Windows version) coming out. I can not wait.

P.S. Trust me, there is no "the best" one in the CAM world.

[ 09-11-2002, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: David S ]

We are all MC users and most of us have expierience on other CADSCAM systems

so in fun and entertainment why not an occaisional other system bashing,You cant possibly

think they dont do it.Besides in the last few years weve had ALOT of other system demon-

strators in here saying oh lookie what we can do,They never showed me something I couldnt do with Mastercam.So they can have theyre V-Neck sweaters all over the place it only shows they wish they were in all our shops. biggrin.gif

"Just look around in this forum. Is there any Ford, GM, GE, NASA...employees here? No, they are using Pro/E, UG, CATIA...They are big guys."

That's because these managers from large companies who write the checks and decide on the systems that they'll be forcing you to use are not smart enough to know the differences between the two (or five). They've been wined and dined by Catia, pressured and intimadated by ProE, and are afraid of looking like the ignorant fools that they are. They all sit there in the demo's with the glazed over look of "information overload" and leave the demo early with their pad in hand of to do "more important things".

Luckily, for them, these behemoth systems have such a long learning curve and long time to get up and running in your shop that when 5 years later when they're still not getting any serious production out of them, the manager is either no longer to blame because he isn't around or the loss of $400,000 has been written off and amortized out of any pay raises you would have receieved (but never knew about).

If any one of us who actually USE the different software pacakages were ever in the position to make the call, we'd look like heroes.

Life is a funny road, you can drive it how ever you choose, whether it be a new Acura, or an old Chevy truck, you will reach your destination.

It is not what tools we have, but rather how we use them.

Back in 1995, I had the Displeasure of being sent off for a 2 week course, to learn SDRC I-Deas, only to come back and find my work-station replaced by a S/G Indigo, Unix platform. Small company, Owners freshly graduated son now calling the shots, I was informed we were moving out of the Dark Ages. The next year was absolutely miserable, hardware crashes, software issues, learning Unix. I had seen MasterCam working at a friends shop and got to try it out, Called the sales rep and arranged for an in house demo.

I remember the look on his face when I told him "If you don't want to get it, that's fine, put an add in the paper, you got my 2 weeks." He did put an add in the paper and 2 weeks later told me he would cut the P.O. for MasterCam if I stayed.

Shortest distance in-between here and there is a straight line

cool.gif

Tim Hollis

quote:

Show up and Cut It!

If thats what your job description reads, you cant beat MasterCam for its speed, ease of use...etc.

If your responsibilities involve design engineering or so, sorry to admit but other systems may be more robust in that area.

Currently i get paid to "Make Chips" so my support goes with MC.

An earlier post said something about demos from other software always doing "Mastercam Bashing". One thing Mastercam can do that others can't is stand on its own merits WITHOUT having to cut down the competition. The biggest thing to me has always been: Mastercam will let the programmer/machinist cut the part the way he/she wants to. Sometimes you have to model the toolpath yourself (I never let Mastercam run an automatic path for me at all until v6), but there's ALWAYS a way. Also, since the people who wrote the software originally were MACHINISTS (not engineers), the parameters tend to ask the questions that the machinist knows should be asked and the toolpaths tend to do what needs to be done to cut the part correctly.

Whew!