Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What did you make this week?

Keith Graydon

Rekd,

Gerradi abuse will not be tolerated under any circumstances, please refrain from such blasphemy – punch up a couple of the cheap wanna-be machine tool vices (I won’t mention any names).

On another note: I admit to the forementioned abuse and it is true that 60 Rc is possible to machine (I have the vices to prove this).

Is there truth to the fact that Gerradi are now manufactured in China?

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 03-08-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bryan314

quote:

You gonna share?

I'll upload my script after I make a few subtle changes, in the meantime there are a number of examples included with v9.1, you will find one that shows how to batch import a folder full of DXF files, and another that shows how to toolpath. Those should get going in the right direction.

Lets see... just finished some plexi housings for some large medical equipment, a miter saw motor housing and handle on Friday. Today I'm machining, get this, Victoria Falls and modeling the miter saw table.

Did I hear someone say 9.1 ?!?!?!?!?!?

[ 03-10-2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Parts for the space shuttle, parts for human heart valves, parts for smart bombs for the military.

OK, not really...

I had to make something up to compete with you guys. AMAZING!!

Really, I wrote programs for store fixtures we make, and for applied RP doors for high end refrigrators.

ScottyB.

Not too much demand for heart valves out of wood.

Jack,

Abuse is not the way I see it. It's an improvement over an already fine piece of equipment. Fortunately, we have an extra that we can almost afford to booger up, though I don't think that will be an issue.

So tell me, Jack... did you make some mods to yours? If so, will you share your expertise on cutting it? We will be drilling a < .500 hole a couple inches deep in one end, and a cross hole to intersect it.

I've considered many other alternitives, including a spool and many configurations of a "service loop", but it always seems to bind up the vacuum lines, and limits the amount of rotation. Especially with lines on 4 fixtures, from 2 sides of the Gerardi. I came up with the idea of integrating the vacuum into the Gerardi from a guy that does a lot of wood turning. He adapted a vacuum to his chuck and it seemed to work well.

Other suggestions, as always, are welcome.

China?!?!?! mad.gif (Figures)

'Rekd

[ 03-10-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

what did you use to make what you made this week

(1) mcv8.1

(2) my mind

(3) a few hundred mouse clicks

(4) a handful of cutters

(5) 3 diffrent makino vmc's

(6) and last but not least the forum to keep me sane cheers.gif

all the best

trevor

Rekd,

I believe the only way to machine the jaws will require electrodes, I cannot be sure but I think the rest of the vice is case hardened rather deep. I have nineteen machine vices, three are Geradi’s the rest are Kirt knockoffs - I often do extensive set-ups utilizing soft jaw inserts for many different jobs.

I can upload a Mechanical Desktop ver6 of the classic Geradi for you if you like, I did this many years ago converting metric to inch (there is a minor problem with a mated surface but the vice as a whole is very accurate) if you are going to machine these then perhaps the model will help.

Which is correct, Vise or Vice?

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Some would say it's a vice to machine a machine vise.

The Gerardi's I have are for rotabs. They're basically horizontal tombstones, not vises. We do have independant jaws we can mount to them via large T-Slots in the tombstones. I would imagine the hardening would be similar though.

I'm making a surface model of one, I'll put up a pict when it's done.

'Rekd

Heres' a skinned picture of one of the Gerardis we're using. I want to drill thru the dia on the right side, past the mounting flange, then intersect-drill to connect the vacuum lines. The line going thru the end will be on a swivel, allowing full 360 rotation while still using the vacuum.

GerardiSkinned1.JPG

'Rekd