Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need optirough and dynamic mill advice

peon

Please see the attached pic. I am having some issues with the cutter snapping in the area shown. I'm sure a few others have seen this and would love to hear some advice to prevent this from happening. The current part shown will be run again tomorrow with a reduced stepover from 6% to 5% and a stepdown limited to .750" DOC rather than 1.2". I will post the results.

THIN_STEEL_CUTTER_SNAPS.jpg

Please see the attached pic. I am having some issues with the cutter snapping in the area shown. I'm sure a few others have seen this and would love to hear some advice to prevent this from happening. The current part shown will be run again tomorrow with a reduced stepover from 6% to 5% and a stepdown limited to .750" DOC rather than 1.2". I will post the results.

This is a definite flaw in the path. Ive had this happen a few times. Hopefully the new improvements that David Conigliaro is talking about will address this issue.

peon

what about doing 2 shots with 2D dynamic instead to get away from this

rough the part in 2 halves and get away from the thin wall unless you need that feature

peel mill 1 side dynamic the other is another option

just thinking out loud here

if you need more help shoot me a email and i can give you my new EXT

• Like 1

Ok, the stepover and stepdown reduction did the trick, but it is hard to watch the cutter whip around that thin sliver of steel. Tony, that was my backup plan, only problem is that I would have to attack the leftover material above those levels before I could attack the remaining steel below. Adding several operations is more programming and machining time when I feel it should all be done in one operation. So far I'm pleased with the Optirough path, but you certainly have to verify the program and use it at your discretion. Neurosis, hopefully the bull nose recognition will be available soon. That sliver in the pic is actually .750" tall (cutters DOC) before it starts machining the next level.

I sent these pics and a .z2g file to my reseller. Hopefully the bull nose mill support will alleviate these problems. I will wait till some improvements are made before I try the Optirough again and wait for some of the steam to blow away resulting from the broken cutters. I honestly think the toolpath just needs a little tweaking and all will be good. :)

OPTIROUGH_CORE_OVERLOAD_2.jpg

OPTIROUGH_CORE_OVERLOAD_3.jpg

• 6 years later...

This topic is old, but I think the problem still exists.

I am a big fan of Dynamic, but 95% of what I cut are long parts, which makes this type of sliver appear often.

Anyone know if these types of issues have been resolved or if some work arounds exist?

I have only seen this a few times.  When I do, adjusting step over usually does the trick.  Dynamic mill is my goto path.  I know it's kinda the opposite principle but it works great with high-feed mills as well.

• Like 2
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:42 PM, chipman said:

This topic is old, but I think the problem still exists.

I am a big fan of Dynamic, but 95% of what I cut are long parts, which makes this type of sliver appear often.

Anyone know if these types of issues have been resolved or if some work arounds exist?

MC2018 gives you the option of Climb, Conventional or ZigZag

When zigzag is selected, you can  also define a climb and conventional feed rates