Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCam Apps

haasvf2

I have no doubt a tablet like this could run simple Mastercam files

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009US2FLK/ref=pe_171880_95046390_em_1p_1_ti

The lack of mouse and keyboard make it impractical and the graphics would probably be unacceptable.

For Mastercam to run on a tablet like this, CNC would have to develop a version that would run properly

on plain jane Intel graphics.. and I can't see enough demand to justify the development expense

At some point though a CAM vendor will release a file viewer, then everyone else will have to climb on board

to keep up with the competition

CNC would have to develop a version that would run properly

on plain jane Intel graphics.. and I can't see enough demand to justify the development expense

If they would only "do" that, maybe we won't have to buy $1000 vid cards for the p.c..

Hopefully they can figure out the Horrendous 10X file size problem too, that

so many other cad/cam packages do not produce.

Then it may be feasible.

And if it ever gets to that level

then technology is finally winning.

The point is, JP, when will the technology or software be less resource piggish and

not need such powerful systems to run cad/cam applications?

Video games can do it seamlessly,

so someday machining software will make a break through too... hopefully

Its like teaching a dog a new trick, or tricking the dog.

Hey James, have you ever seen powermills tool path editor....and its graphical. ;)

uses the same principle as Solidworks power trim

Outstanding to say the least... :smoke:

all ya'll's un-intuative pessimistic and negativity is duely noted....LOL :harhar:

Not to start a bun fight (it's Christmas after all :D) I have used NCPlot a couple of times to lift the tool up rather than it drag across the face when surfacing.

Now this is probably down to my own lack of training/stupidity (delete as appropriate) but no matter what I did on a couple of paths, the tool would only retract to the finished Z level and not fully clear the scanned face when it then shot across to the other side of the part and continue (talking HS path here).

So load the code into NCPlot, click on the line, add a smidge in the Z to clear and all was well.

Hey James, have you ever seen powermills tool path editor....and its graphical. ;)

uses the same principle as Solidworks power trim

Outstanding to say the least... :smoke:

all ya'll's un-intuative pessimistic and negativity is duely noted....LOL :harhar:

:cough: graphical toolpath editor :cough:

:rofl:

yeah wouldn't that be awful ??? I'm with Rickster on this one..

Since many inventors simply apply existing tech to new problems, this doesn't seem like a crazy question.

with Remote access or distributed computing the tech is really already available.

http://www.hsmworks.com/overview/

Distributed CAM

The HSMWorks Distributed CAM server enables users to respond even faster to design changes, by automatically utilizing idle PCs on the local network to reduce toolpath calculation time. Distributed CAM is automatically used by HSMWorks when installed on selected PCs and requires no additional setup or interaction from the user.

I tried creating an .exe presentation from Mach Sim, however it won't open on my ipad. It was a long shot, but I could see it being useful for operators. Not sure if it would work on an android based tablet. I'm going to try running the .exe on an OSP-200, it should work and be pretty neat.

The only thing ipad is good for is watching you tube videos; particularly on how jet engines work, steam train maintenance films from the 1940's, or atomic bomb test footage. And reading the Onion.

I tried creating an .exe presentation from Mach Sim

I tried doing this to make a presentation for our sales force, but the .exe file would not run

on any of the plane jane office workstations in the company.

It ran great on our Cad/Cam work stations but not main stream office PC's

They would throw a yell about some component being missing.

I figured that a sales presentation that didn't run, or required the potential customer

to install new dll's on his PC was worse than no presentation at all.. so I bagged the project.

I think there is more of a need for MTB and Distributor apps that are machine brand specific. More so, apps that have manuals, simple conversational programming, and assist in programming special functions of machines. The more high tech machines become the more special cycles by control manufacture there are to know. An app that could assist programming advanced mill-turn functions, diagnostics, etc would be very useful on the shop floor, IMO.

• Like 1

I can see the use use of a Mastercam viewer for viewing the models and geometry (not toolpaths). Could be especially useful for a shop that wants to go paperless. There is an app for eDrawings with Solidworks I use and works fine for looking at drawings and models. A viewer would be a very useful tool.

Just my $.02