Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Tool Models

RandleXX

It sure would be nice if machine tool manufacturers would supply basic 3d models of their machines. With all the major CAM packages using some type of 3d simulation, and the popularity of software like Veri-cut and Preditor I would think machine tool manufacturers would be all over this.

I think this is the 3rd time over the years I have modeled up a Haas VF6 and rotary for machine simulation... Better save the files this time.. lol!

;)

is this a 4/5 axis thing to prevent crashes?

yes. It's very helpful for simulation and for checking rotation positions on new machines with new posts to get directions down right. It saves time from having to load a program into the control and run it, just to find out it is rotating in the wrong direction.

Question:

Why do you need to simulate the entire machine anyway? I've never used or needed it... is this a 4/5 axis thing to prevent crashes?

With 4 and 5 axis, machine verification is a valuable tool and another level of precaution. Almost every shop I have worked for uses some type of machine verification. Vericut being my particular favorite. Even the new X5 verification is better than nothing.

I use it when we have parts that over hang the machine table. Machine sim has been a great help too make sure our positioning is right so as to not hit the machine cabinet, or the z axis column.

We have some "Custom" shaped sheet metal on one machine from hanging the over the table.. :o

"Unless you ask for it prior to signing the PO"

That´s the idea. We always negotiate this before signing the PO, and we demand true CAD models (STEP) and not STLs... :rolleyes:

And do not forget to put this on the PO or to get a written statement from them... :unsure:

My 2 cents..

Daniel

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

...we demand true CAD models (STEP) and not STLs... :rolleyes:

Daniel

So, let me ask you this... what machine tool builder has given you/your company "true CAD models"?

So, let me ask you this... what machine tool builder has given you/your company "true CAD models"?

Okuma, some years ago when we bought a Captain lathe.. and recently, WFL Millturn

All solid models including covers.. for our machine simulation in Vericut and to automate the programming of steady rest, headstock, quill, chucks in Pro/NC.

When you invest US$10 million in two Millturns you have that power to get it... but I think it is a matter of negotiation... it's harder when you ask for them after placing the PO...

I went through the arduous process of modeling our Model 67 Thermwoods (junk, I concur) in Solidworks before creating STLs for the simulator in X5. Through some arm twisting, I did get Thermwood to send me the C axis housing and spindle models in IGES format. I figured that was sufficient since that is the only part of the machine that gets anywhere close to what I am cutting.

Now if I could get my set-up to work in the X5 simulator..... :angry: