Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Tool Models

RandleXX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"I've never seen somebody get native CAD models of machines before. It's always been STL's. "

Thermwood sent us a nearly complete step file of our five-axis 10' x 20' x 6'Z machine without hassle. For years, we've had 30' long patterns CMM'd at +/- .005, not bad for a router. All that without pouring a twelve-inch-thick concrete pad like we had to for our worthless DMS.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Got a tape measure?

Funny you mentioned that James... A couple of years ago that I was talking to Karlo Apro and I asked him where he got certain machine models for his book and his response was same as yours... Sometimes you just have to get down & dirty to get what you need.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Tape measure is where the vast majority of the models come from. It takes probably half a day or less to model enough of a machine to make sure you're not making a mess of things. The time is really setting up the kinematics and stuff like that.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

James,

Does the Estop button work?

Just tried it, no it does not work. BUT... the program DOES run on the control panel and distance to go, positions, etc... all display on the control as they are running.

Try that MachSim :harhar:

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

LOL :whistle: James why would than even matter?

For the same reason MachSim matters... If you're not checking g-code, it's just window dressing. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

• Like 1
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
Got a tape measure?
Yes but my jobs require more precision than yours I guess! :harhar:

Most aspects of a Machine Tool Model do not require greater precision than .5mm (sheetmetal, waycovers, toolchanger claws, doors, etc...), easily obtained with a tape measure. You can usually get spindle and table drawings from the parts manuals that come with the machine.