Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T....Can You Believe This!!!!!

RStuart

they claim it does not require alot of horse power although our machine has a direct drive 35 horse spindle. The tool is made by Iscar and is not a conventional turning tool by any means. It is an insert with four cutting edges but instead of lying flat like a cnmg it lays on its side and is very think. It has a helical cutting edge much like a milling insert. It is called a heli-turn. They also make what they call a feed-turn which they claim to turn stainless at .100" per rev. @ .100" doc. If it works anything like the heli-turn I will be impressed.

On the subject of new tools. We just bought 5 Mitsubishi AQX 1-1/2 diameter milling cutters. We tried one out on some 4140. 525 sfpm, 26 ipm at 7/16" depth of cut. Anyone else using these? Just wondering how they hold up in different applications.

Greg

on the topic of the iscar line. myself and fellow forum member mold 100 (corey bratton)also had the pleasure of trying out a 2" feen mill in our v55.when we looked at the recomended sfpm and axial depth we thought it was a typo in the application guide so we went with more mortal feeds and speeds wink.gif .all we did was melt the tool down mad.gif when the rep came back in to get his tool he was not as mad as one might think,only upset that we did not run tool as specified.who would of thought a tool could withstand that kind of abuse. any how talked with the same rep monday,he's bringing in some more tooling to try out. yes these new cutters from iscar are bad a@#.

waiting to try some more out

trevor

robk,

That's the rumor they told us too. The menatality around here was crank it up til it breaks, then back it down a notch. We'd send facemills, indexable drills, etc, out to be rebuilt by the dozens. But we have gotten into an approach to keep the spindles going unattended, which means slower speeds and feeds and longer tool life. But I'd be willing to bet my paycheck, with all of my mastercam knowledge (3 months) that we will get to try out that warranty soon enough. cheers.gif Are floor bar goes 934 ipm at rapid, might not be that fast, but considering it has 394" of travel, it could get real ugly real fast....

quote:

The tool is made by Iscar and is not a conventional turning tool by any means. It is an insert with four cutting edges but instead of lying flat like a cnmg it lays on its side and is very think. It has a helical cutting edge much like a milling insert.

Tangential Turning tools have been around for some time. The first one that I saw was a hertel tool about 10 years ago and theirs was a ground insert rather than the presses geometry on the Iscar one. We have tried this tool as well and have had some decent luck to this point. One objection (as pointed out by a Sandvik guy) is that the insert screws are under a lot of strain and have a propensity to shear. But with anything a salesman says, you have to find out for yourself.

I think that Valenite also had a tooling program like this but I am only guessing. The Sandvik tangential Turning tool is found only in their Railway turning program and they don't promote it very much.

I am impressed with Iscar's ability to bring out new tools and their resiliency to bounce back from programs that are a huge flop - anyone remember the "Chameleon" line of milling cutters? The ChamDrill was the only one of note that came from that program and I guess the development just for that one sweet tool was worth it.

Again, Kudo's to Iscar, keep the new things coming and for the rest of you tooling manufacturing guys - watch out for this group...

Trev,

I remember the cutter, I had the pleasure of watching the same tool run in Yasda in Cleveland,

It was pretty gruesome NAK 80 .2 d.o.c and I am pretty sure 2100 ripmz and programmed rate at 300 plus ipms-needless to say it made the floor shake and chips looked like heavy turning chips I watched it rough for about 15 minutes and the inserts still looked alright.It was the first time I seen a Yasda but I gotta say WOW.Up until then I swore by Sanvik but Gotta stay with the Technology.

quote:

anyone remember the "Chameleon" line of milling cutters?

I bet they're hoping we don't

The only good thing about that program was the cool-looking multicolor lizard on the books

C

P.S. Anybody out there turning Nitronic 60? I can't get above about 350SFM without wearing giant flats on my inserts in 2 (small) parts.

We've got a few Mitsubishi AQX's 1". Not a bad cutter, plus the replacement warranty! However have been trying out some of the new ISCAR stuff, in particular a 2" plunge/face mill, and seem to like it a little better for hogging material out. Our machine is not really rigid enougt to take full advantage of the AQX, but can get more material removed via the ISCAR plunging mills. tongue.gif

quote:

anyone remember the "Chameleon" line of milling cutters?

quote:

I bet they're hoping we don't

The only good thing about that program was the cool-looking multicolor lizard on the books

Apparently you didn't go to IMTS '98! Who went and saw the naked painted chameleon girls do their dance to Boy George singing Karma Chameleon? THAT was the best part about that line. biggrin.gif

Thad

[ 06-04-2003, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: thad ]

quote:

Apparently you didn't go to IMTS '98! Who went and saw the naked painted chameleon girls do their dance to Boy George singing Karma Chameleon? THAT was the best part about that line.

I got there on the afternoon of the opening day, by that time, the show organisers had a brazier on her... If only we had skipped lunch!