Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

I've got better things to do in my spare time.

Not for nothing but spending almost 3 years of my "spare time" got me to where I am at now.

I "think" many of my brethren here would consider me a power user.

So, if you have a goal, it's not a waste of time to "invest" in yourself.

:cheers:

"ATTENSION'

Hit save before you verify in X6.

After you exit frmn the task manager, the error is

'Invalid argument'

this is the 3rd time it 2 days it locked up and I lost all my work back

to the last time I saved.!!!!!!!! I thought it was just a fluke.....

I verify in turbo so maybe its just that????!!!!

I was hoping to post more often int teh 'X6 Pros's' thread then this one.....

regard

Not for nothing but spending almost 3 years of my "spare time" got me to where I am at now.

I "think" many of my brethren here would consider me a power user.

So, if you have a goal, it's not a waste of time to "invest" in yourself.

:cheers:

I cant speak for anyone else and I do NOT consider myself to be a "power user", but my time is bought by my company and though I dont mind spending the time learning, I mean that is what we are all doing when we have to search for work arounds is learning the software better, I do not think that the owner of this company shares that point of view. I should be spending that extra time programming the next job, designing tooling, or working on constant improvements to current jobs, not fumbling around with Mastercam bugs.

When he quotes a job he also quotes the programming time. I am pretty good at looking at a part and telling him how long it will take to go from paper to product "USUALLY". Some of these pitfalls are making it much more difficult.

there are actually 2 control defs ..

the hard copy in the CNC Machines folder and an internal copy

in every mastercam file.

You can test this yourself..

Open a copy of Design

draw a few lines and circles and save the file

check out the file size..

load a machine def

save and check out the file size it will be 200 to 400 k bigger

depending on the machine def you loaded

Editing the internal copy (via the Edit button in the Ops Manager)

does not edit the hard copy.

This causes a lot of confusion.

In early days, I spent hours tweaking stuff via the Edit button

only to find all the edits gone when I started a new file.

After years of screwing with this, I just don't use the Edit button.

My edits to my hard copy control def are sticking in X6..

Now I wonder if anyone is starting to wish that there would have been a licensee only bug forum and whether or not it may have been a good idea?

We could do it - but CNC is also making their own forum, and that was part of their survey to do it. I'm not opposed to the idea of doing it here, but it depends what other people think. G*d knows it would help our own tech support

we just have to manage who's a licensed user or not, and because we're not CNC we have to goto them to check Sim#'s, and it can get time consuming. I'll admit I dropped the ball on checking into users in the past as I'm not in the office nearly as much (our customer tech-support issues/training as my regular job would always trump eMastercam stuff) - but I'm also not responsible for eMastercam anymore, and could have made this directive more clear to the others

Man, CNC competitors are finding in this place an amusement park...

Instead of bad-mouthing the product themselves all they've got to say now is: "Check out their forum... Then give me a call..."

The funny thing is people still accuse us of censorship. People who have been cherry picking this thread for weeks for quotes to support their anti-Mastercam stand also claim In-House Solutions suppresses even the slightest hint of negativity towards Mastercam. Cognitive Dissonance fail!

BUMPING this i case you all missed it

"ATTENSION'

Hit save before you verify in X6.

After you exit from the task manager, the error is

'Invalid argument'

this is the 3rd time it 2 days it locked up and I lost all my work back

to the last time I saved.!!!!!!!! I thought it was just a fluke.....

I verify in turbo so maybe its just that????!!!!

I was hoping to post more often int teh 'X6 Pro's' thread then this one.....

I also never go thru the edit button.

As I stated in my last post.

Settings

Machine def

control def

make changes

save CD

save MD

Hit ok when it asks me to reload

The thing that kills me is that when I get to it, THE BOX IS CHECKED.

I uncheck it, then recheck it and it will work..... for the moment.

I also never go thru the edit button.

As I stated in my last post.

Settings

Machine def

control def

make changes

save CD

save MD

Hit ok when it asks me to reload

The thing that kills me is that when I get to it, THE BOX IS CHECKED.

I uncheck it, then recheck it and it will work..... for the moment.

where is your CNC Machines file?

do you have read/write access to that folder..

try making an edit to the control def then check the time stamp

Now I wonder if anyone is starting to wish that there would have been a licensee only bug forum and whether or not it may have been a good idea?

The problem with that is that it could end up like the Gibbs forum where things get unanswered and threads get locked and no one gives a crap because it's behind a closed door so there's no incentive to keep good customer relations on the forum.

Kudos to IHS for letting this thread run its course IMO.

• Like 1

It is kind of a shame that CNC needs to make such forum changes to pretend that the

bugs will all of a sudden get fixed in a timely fashion. Software has to be written

so that its patchable FIRST. If it were patch able this thread may no have

gotten so big, as not even one patch has been released since so many

issues have arose, after the 2nd release of X6

gcode,

-mine is in the place it was installed, every install since X2

-administrative rights on both my machines as always, even when I was the Temp IT guy

here for the first 7 yrs.....

+1, default locations, I am the admin. & the timestamp shows this morning.

The biggest problem I have had with updating to a new version is the control def not updating to the new and correct post. It has ALWAYS pointed to the previous version's post and when you select the new post, it will change all the control def parameters to default. I progam 8 different machines. What a PITA! Most folks in the local area have the same issue. When I visit their shop after receiving a call that their upgrade isn't working properly, I notice right away that they have installed the software as instructed, sometimes by their reseller, but the control defs are ALL POINTING TO THE OLD POST. For all of those that installed X6, make sure your control def is NOT POINTING TO THE X5 POST. CNC still has NOT figured out how to do this right! I think they should just dump the damn control/machine defs and go back to a post only system.

The funny thing is people still accuse us of censorship. People who have been cherry picking this thread for weeks for quotes to support their anti-Mastercam stand also claim In-House Solutions suppresses even the slightest hint of negativity towards Mastercam. Cognitive Dissonance fail!

In my humble opinion, censorship is not happening here now at all... I admit I'm surprised because the eggs are coming from all sides...

JM2C...

• Like 1

Im my humble opinion, censorship is not happening here now at all... I admit I'm surprised because the eggs are coming from all sides...

JM2C...

If I were a reseller, I wouldn't censor this either. They have to deal with this xxxx too! I'm sure they want the xxxx fixed!

The problem with that is that it could end up like the Gibbs forum where things get unanswered and threads get locked and no one gives a crap because it's behind a closed door so there's no incentive to keep good customer relations on the forum.

Well that will all depend on how they choose to run the forum. It seems to me that is a reflection of the company and how they do business. There are companies that make very good use of their online bug tracking system. In my experience, it was beneficial for both them as well as the customer.

Kudos to IHS for letting this thread run its course IMO.

I couldnt agree more. I can remember some years back when I rarely saw ANYONE complaining about Mastercam and when I would complain about issues on this forum it would turn in to a neurosis bash fest. It was never the softwares fault and ALWAYS something that I must be doing wrong. The sad thing is, I am still dealing with some of those same bugs today.