Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

2 many options.

And worst of it half of them not working

I am geting an impression that no one cares cause I am tired to talk about it

for a starter

IMHO take off the job parameters things that do not work at all

like subroutines and entrance point placement for HSM

I put on my flamesuite and say that FBM not work at all

If you call this work don`t be funny

Who needs such a work ?

And how much time I need to waste to get a code close to acceptable ?

Why I can not breake assosiation of FBM and it operations ?

Scrapped a 160$ part (my fault i didnt verify the damn thing!!) ,, we ran out of 5/8 mills with a .06 corner, so i decided that a .03 corner would be just fine with a program change,, i edited the corner radius of the tool on the first op everything was great, verified and looking sweet no problems!! so i kinda got in a rush and just changed the corner radius on the second op as well but no verification,, SOMEHOW my tool #2 got deleted from the tool list and yet it still shows on the toolpath op!! so how did i scrap a part?? i changed the corner radius value from a .06 to a .03 on tool #2 from the toolpath tree (without opening the toolpath itself) ,, the op went dirty (as it should) i regened it,, posted the program and it still calculated the tool to a .06 corner radius thus making all my roughed chamfers on the part .03 too deep!!

Scrapped a 160$ part (my fault i didnt verify the damn thing!!) ,, we ran out of 5/8 mills with a .06 corner, so i decided that a .03 corner would be just fine with a program change,, i edited the corner radius of the tool on the first op everything was great, verified and looking sweet no problems!! so i kinda got in a rush and just changed the corner radius on the second op as well but no verification,, SOMEHOW my tool #2 got deleted from the tool list and yet it still shows on the toolpath op!! so how did i scrap a part?? i changed the corner radius value from a .06 to a .03 on tool #2 from the toolpath tree (without opening the toolpath itself) ,, the op went dirty (as it should) i regened it,, posted the program and it still calculated the tool to a .06 corner radius thus making all my roughed chamfers on the part .03 too deep!!

Tools have a mind of there own in X6. Holders are a complete joke. I'd really like to do a gotomypc conference while I program a part just to see their response.

Mike

IMHO CAM should not be choosen or judged from a personal choice perspective but rather as a tool that a programmer has at his disposal. The more quality tools you have in your toolbox, the better it is I guess.

I agree, you should have quality tools in your toolbox. There are plenty of reasons I personally don't like MC, and they all have to do with what I believe is a sub-par quality product, that in my eyes is just plain dangerous to use.

If they brought it up to the standards of the current generation of CAM software, then my opinion could certainly change. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

heres a issue ive had for some time now,, only sometimes when i create a linear dimension i pick both sides of the line then the dimension value is now "live", but the center of the

dimension value is not on center with my mouse pointer, not even relatively close,,, so i end up zooming way out so i can position my mouse pointer out in space somewhere so the dimension value is where i want it to be,,

anybody else get this ??

i just had it happen this morning,, the first time i tried it, it was off about 5in or so,, then i deleted the dimension , did it again then it was spot on

I dont know if this is an old bug or not but:

When using the offset surf function in X5.

There is a blue arrow to cycle the normal seletion and then the regular one to flip normals.

Twice in a row I would lock up and could not drop the thread because it seemed the offset function would get stuck in an endless loop when trying to reverse the surface normals. There would be an error message that says Mastercam cannot be stopped because of an active function or something. I had to just hold down the power button and hard boot. (I dont like to do that)

I guess the work around would be to make sure they are right to begin with. Is this a known problem? :rant:

This is quite off topic for this thread, because i have no problem in X5. But sometimes i got critical fault when opening file. And today i got critical fault when doing boolean non associative operation. Both problems are not bounded to file. File is ok and after restart X6 everything is ok (opening file and boolean op. with same solids).

I got Vista 64 bit OS.

• 3 weeks later...

Gee, I thought I was the only one that had a pet-peeve about the jumping red arrow. It never worked right from the introduction of the "X" product.

Yes, it is aggravating. It seems to happen at random. I just tried to copy three HSS roughing ops and they just pasted at what seemed to be where ever they felt like. Then I copied to finish profile operations and they pasted exactly where I wanted them to. :shrug:

I wonder how many more versions of this software we will advance before the little red arrow actually works?

It would be nice if copied operations would paste where you asked them to.

I use the right mouse button, highlight the operations you want to move, press and hold the right mouse button, move over the operation right before where you are going to place them and let off the mouse button. You will get a menu just select copy after.

I use the right mouse button, highlight the operations you want to move, press and hold the right mouse button, move over the operation right before where you are going to place them and let off the mouse button. You will get a menu just select copy after.

That must be how CNC does it too because this bug has been around so long that would be the only explanation of why it has not been fixed. ;)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Speaking of bugs... I'm at a "Gibbs house today...." All I gotta say is ROFLMFAO..... You have GOT to be kidding me. I'll GLADLY take MC's warts ove GibbSCAM every day that ends with "y". What a POS!!!

Just sayin'

• Like 1

Speaking of bugs... I'm at a "Gibbs house today...." All I gotta say is ROFLMFAO..... You have GOT to be kidding me. I'll GLADLY take MC's warts ove GibbSCAM every day that ends with "y". What a POS!!!

Just sayin'

We have had GibbsCam here since the mid 90's? I have never liked it.

I do know people that just love it and do their best to convince you how good that it is but I feel exactly the same way that you do about it.

I would take a semi broken, partially working, quirky assed seat of Mastercam over fully functioning GibbsCam any day.

• Like 2
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I always knew Gibbs was :censored: up, but when I watched what a Gibbs Jock had to do to change the plane on an operation... my gosh... You're better off starting from scratch. And thhe :censored: CAD... Connecting all that geometry, you've got to be :censored: me!!!

I'll take another look at it when it grows up and big boys use it. Right now it's a toy... matter of fact, I've got toys that are more logical.

Didn't Gibbs get bought out by Cimatron... and isn't Cimatron barely treading water?

Gibbs and Cimatron merged back in 07-08? I cant remember for sure. I also cant figure out what would make Cimatron interested in Gibbs other than maybe a functional lathe package. I havent used Cimatron for quite a few years but I remember that lathe was next to non-existent/horrible. Gibbs lathe is very simple and would be the ONLY reason that I would consider using the software.

I have been forced into Gibbs (new job) and I am no fanboi, creating geometry is tough and awkward, but importing solid files and dxf's from solidworks and other CAD systems is very easy. It has never been toted as a CAD package. Gibbs lacks functional tool libraries which is the biggest PITA of all. It's advanced 3-d functions are superior to Mastercam and easier IMO, and I am well versed in both. The real difference is NO GLITCHES and no post issues. (except when doing big 3-d files, I have had 2 crashes over one year) I had weekly issues with MC crashing.

Mastercam frustrated me to no ends with constant upgrades and new versions which in turn would give me a whole new batch of glitches and B.S to deal with. I am far less frustrated using gibbs for what it is worth, but i do miss some features of Mastercam.