Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

I received answer from CNC about the X6 Macro's error, this option has been disabled, the arguments are incredible.

I think the boat "X" is sinking, the solution is not X6 MU1 or X7, the solution would be to rewrite all the code from zero, a new era "2013" "Y" "Z" but no more "X"; the big question Could CNC Software do that?

• Like 1

Rick - out of interest do you use any gcode verification software?

Keith - you obviously have to 'measure twice cut once' with billets that cost that, but I would have thought something like vericut would pay for itself pretty quickly in your company if you're dry running everything?

No i dont ...yet.

My problems are 99% at the P.C.

If they get to the machine its because I did quadruple check MC enuf for errors.....

i have all the time in the world.

Like most ppl say .....should of stayed at X4 an the worst problem would be slow crunch and verify times.

Every time i try the new version before the Sp or MU comes out I get bent over.........

Like Rick said. Comb the code over and over.just like im getting multiple work offsets in 5 axis. Where the fuc is that coming from. 5x dont use tool planes. Bull xxxx software. Bad bad bad

I had a really bad day. fighting airfoil fillets and MC wig's out in 5x toolpaths. I have 2 days into a 8 hour programming job because of bugs.

BTW, where did James the fanboi go? we must have lost him in the dust

I do 3 axis and don't comb the code just the magically ever changing

Toolpath settings going back to defaults and the stock to leave magically putting

In a.05 integer in the walls and z levels , not to mention I have to check

Every path to see if the arc filter an refine toolpath has magically

Unchecked the box, on regen ing to new geometry

Thats the latest one the showed up out of no where today

X7, can't wait

I just got 8 new airfoil blades for the new GE 9X engine. Dont knoe WTF im gonna do. they all need 5x machines and MC is falling apart. I'm looking hard for software that can produce. Them boys in conneticut aint got a clue

Hypermill - Probably the best in terms of power and usability in 5 axis

TopSolid - Great usability and decent toolpaths / Excelent Machine Simulation

NX - Very powerful for 5 axis too - A steep learning curve but awesome for multiaxis - We have 3200 seats of it worldwide

JM2C

NX - Very powerful for 5 axis too - A steep learning curve but awesome for multiaxis - We have 3200 seats of it worldwide

you said We? wanna give me a qoute and demo our part files? No smoke up the xxxx here. We got work that needs getting done. 2 new Integrex I series with subs showing up in the next 2 weeks. Got posts for them?

I received answer from CNC about the X6 Macro's error, this option has been disabled, the arguments are incredible.

I think the boat "X" is sinking, the solution is not X6 MU1 or X7, the solution would be to rewrite all the code from zero, a new era "2013" "Y" "Z" but no more "X"; the big question Could CNC Software do that?

I will use an example here in the CAM industry, although there are other cases:

Missler Software started a total re-write of TopSolid about 6 years ago. The software is totally new, full .NET architecture, multi-core support from the ground up, touch screen support, Win 8, blablabla...

It took them 6 years to re-invent themselves and yet V7 is not as powerful as V6 for millturn and MTM... however, far better than it in terms of ergonomy, for production machining and multiaxis. 6 years ago they had an excellent product (V6) and decided that they could not continue with it. They had to move on in order to take advantage of the new possibilities in computer languages and hardware. They had a tough decision: Port their software or start nearly from zero. They started from zero.

If CNC decide to make a wise decision (And they won't because they can really take their head out of their a$s right now and really acknowledge they are marketing a piece of crappy software because of too much patchwork along the last decade - They can't even come to this board to apologise for a single issue reported here) they would have to start now, and you guys would only see the result within 6-8 years because they are not as fast as Missler and they don't have the QA Missler does. And Missler is just an example. Delcam, Esprit and even Siemens are great example of companies that value the maintenance money and provide rich and regular fixes as well. In TopSolid, bug fixes are available just like Windows Updates - Every other week patches are downloaded and installed automatically for you. And trust me, they also have HUGE bug lists... which are provided every other week too... the difference is that they fix them...

Now my personal experience with this problem:

We were in this situation a year ago, millions of dollars in technically outdated CAM software (Not NX BTW) deployed (Latest version though) worldwide and we had to think about this: We realized that in 5 years our competitors would be far ahead than they already were, and that would risk our own existence.

Guess what we did?

I'm not really defending TopSolid here as I don't know it well yet. My point here is that we had to re-align our strategy by having a CAM partner that shares our vision about excellence, innovation, customer support and the courage to re-invent itself when needed.

There are many CAM companies out there that can do that. Not CNC, apparently.

PS: Just for the record, Mastercam was also written in .NET, but when this technology was in its early days. It's quite different to start from zero today using the latest frameworks and with focus in the UI and usability. JM2C

Question, does everyone have a problem with the functionality/interface, or is it just the reliability? Personally, I like the way the software works and how you go about doing things. I think it is superior to others as far as the amount of control it gives you (accept how ridiculously behind it is in verification). What drives me absolutely insane is how it is so predictably unpredictable. A lot of examples have been listed in this thread, but if all the bugs and quirks were magically fixed tomorrow, would it be your choice for programming?

Mike

In regards to dry running your programs... People, have your company invest in Vericut (or other simulation/verification software) regardless of what programming software you use!!!!. We have customer supplied forgings/castings in here at $100K+ . We run the jobs unattended without issues. Dry running will not catch what Vericut will.

We dont have all of this bugs

and we are doing 5-axis 3-axis higspeed and we are also using this software to

program a lathe with Y-axis 2 turrents and a subspindle

so maybe i depends also what hardware that you are using?

we are using custom builds pc with intel a good workstation motherboard

alot of memory and win7-64

• Like 1

We dont have all of this bugs

and we are doing 5-axis 3-axis higspeed and we are also using this software to

program a lathe with Y-axis 2 turrents and a subspindle

so maybe i depends also what hardware that you are using?

we are using custom builds pc with intel a good workstation motherboard

alot of memory and win7-64

I am not so sure about that. We have 4 guys here, all using different hardware set-ups and we all seem to have the same problems to some extent.

We're running 4 workstations here, all Win 7 x64 SolidBox 6 core Xeons with Quadro 4000 and Quadro FX-4800 video cards and have very few problems.

My personal opinion is that many of the problems with defaults not sticking, or copied operations changing back to default settings

etc are related to Windows users permissions and whether the defaults are set to the public or user profiles.

I have experienced the particularly annoying bug where copied high speed ops refuse to regen.. but have never been able

to construction a decent file that replicates it for a bug report.

All in all though I like X6 and will continue to use it, and will continue to pay maintenance on my personal seat.

I fully recognize that people are having problems, but we're not seeing them here.

• Like 1

I also like X6 (No James did not steal my keyboard...)

The lathe finish tool inspection is a feature I have been waiting for for a long time.

The variable depth roughing is a decent start to something that will flourish in the future IMO.

I also like the 64 bit support, X6 opens in about 1/10th the time of earlier versions, also less "hang ups".

The dynamic chaining in mill is much better/easier to use than before.

The tool # / offset # issue is the only thing keeping me at X5.

Though I altered my post to stop the issue from making it to the floor, the time I need to spend going back & fixing it is what kills me (even when I "fix" it, it still won't stick sometimes)... surprised more people haven't seen/talked about this one.

Wow. X6 lathe. Change a comment in op one and reverts the tool back to default tool angle for all the sub ops. Need to go back and set each on back individual to regen. What I would really like to do is sit down with someone from CNC and program a part in lathe with them and see what they have to say.

Mike

If all the bugs and issues were magically fixed, I still wouldn't pay $0.01 for this program.

Sorry for my sincerity, but I think that everyone under maintenance would be more than happy if 75% of these bugs were solved. With 100% solved, in their shoes I'd be absolutely pleased.

If one is not happy with a functional CAM software (That is, if Mastercam was really doing what they advert it does), then I'd say he's just another Mark Summers hater... and we know that there are some out there...

IMHO CAM should not be choosen or judged from a personal choice perspective but rather as a tool that a programmer has at his disposal. The more quality tools you have in your toolbox, the better it is I guess.

JM2C - I didn't mean to step on any toes.

Best,

Daniel

• Like 1

you said We? wanna give me a qoute and demo our part files? No smoke up the xxxx here. We got work that needs getting done. 2 new Integrex I series with subs showing up in the next 2 weeks. Got posts for them?

Siemens turnkey posts for MillTurn are not good IMHO. Janus Engineering is good though... as well as lot of their VARs...

However, for NX, my first bet would be Austin NC to write them for me. The service and cost is great and they have off-the-shelf Integrex posts... We got a Pro/NC post for a Integrex 1060 8V for about ____. The same post provided by Siemens or their VARs wouldn't be less than _______ in my experience...

They do support Mastercam AFAIK...

HTH

Mod edit: We discourage forums talks about pricing, esp. competition but feel free to PM a board member if you wish to continue the discussion