Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Neurosis

Consider to hardcode H and D `s in your post from tool number .

That`s how some of my posts work and it makes work safier cause

renumber tools work "unpredictible"

I suggested this a while back and he was not interest in this fix.

ALL my posts have some sort of logic to deal with tool offsets be it a hard value always (H1/H2/H3/H99/H999/H#517/D1/D2/D3/D99/D999/D#517), or to always follow the tool number, or the tool number plus an increment (EXTREMELY rare).

The way I see it, it's just one less thing to think about which is a good thing.

JM2CFWIW

I suggested this a while back and he was not interest in this fix.

ALL my posts have some sort of logic to deal with tool offsets be it a hard value always (H1/H2/H3/H99/H999/H#517/D1/D2/D3/D99/D999/D#517), or to always follow the tool number, or the tool number plus an increment (EXTREMELY rare).

The way I see it, it's just one less thing to think about which is a good thing.

JM2CFWIW

Let me be clear on this matter. I am not interested in a fix that automatically fixes the offset without warning and allows me to leave the operation or tool setting wrong.

There was a solution posted a while back that I have not had time to implement in to our post yet. It warns you which operation is wrong and allows for fixing the troubled tool and/or operations.

Our reseller put this into our post. It works really well.

I'm curious, what does the mod actually do? Does it output a warning in the posted code, along the lines of "WARNING: H0 PROGRAMMED!", or something like this?

If so, I did a similar mod a while ago (around X2) for the same reason, and it worked really well.

Mick,

If a situation happens where H+D do not match T number, when posting it flags a warning saying

PLEASE CHECK THE TOOL OFFSETS. OPERATION ID NUMBER = # (where # is the offending op number).

It then allows you to post and the code shows upto the offending op number, which then has a note saying OPERATION ID # and goes no further.

So it is a very safe warning.

On our Makino's you always use H1 D2 so it is hard coded into our posts. But what I would do if I were you is put a macro statement in your tool change macro to check to make sure your H value matches the one for the tool number you are using. That is if you have Macro B on that control.

Mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What I don't get in this whole discussion about tool offsets and whatnot, is why people don't want refuse to take advantage of functions in the machine that will eliminate a whole host of possible issues that are not even CAM related. I mean hey, it's your machine, use it how you want, but you're really missing out.

What I don't get in this whole discussion about tool offsets and whatnot, is why people don't want refuse to take advantage of functions in the machine that will eliminate a whole host of possible issues that are not even CAM related. I mean hey, it's your machine, use it how you want, but you're really missing out.

Our Mori is set up so that H200 and D200 are always used and we do not have this issue in that machine.

I think that the point is more that you should NOT have to worry about the CAM system outputting faulty numbers. If the CAM system were working properly we would not be having this discussion in the first place. The fact that this particular issue has been around for so long and obviously very well known about by CNC is troubling.

We have a couple of older machines here that are not able to hold the same tolerance on a small diameter hole as on the larger. We use multiple diameter offsets to regulate the hole sizes. On those machines we cannot have a hard coded H or D value unless we want to have to hand edit the necessary programs. I should be able to have faith in my CAM system to output the proper H and D values should I not?

I have allot of respect for you James but this is something that is difficult for me to understand. Height and Diameter values are one area that I would hope that I would not have to fight with this system to output proper values. Regardless how how easy it is to manipulate in to our post.

eliminate a whole host of possible issues

but not all??

Neurosis, James is just trying to clarify that CNC may never fix the issue so

You might be better off to fix it by post warning or hard coding etc...

James, for the record, I have fixed my H and D zero issues, sorry I forgot to tell you.... ;)

Now I just have several other issues that plague me that have

no work around, but i hear MU1 will fix them.. :cheers:

I don't come across the tool renumbering issue very often and I think it's because it HAS burned me so I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't happen again, but this most certainly IS CAM related. If I open my mastercam file I expect to see the tool numbers / offsets match what is in my posted code. Yes, I can make the post edits to fix this and in some cases I have... I just don't like doing it because I want the data to match.

We have a couple of older machines here that are not able to hold the same tolerance on a small diameter hole as on the larger. We use multiple diameter offsets to regulate the hole sizes. On those machines we cannot have a hard coded H or D value unless we want to have to hand edit the necessary programs. I should be able to have faith in my CAM system to output the proper H and D values should I not?

It's always great to hear about real life examples that are often underestimated by CAM developers and their QA teams.

+10K to Neurosis.

I just don't like doing it because I want the data to match.

This is my feeling on the matter. I want my part file to be correct. I do not want my post fixing xxxx ups that are caused by the CAM system.

Eventually, once I get some free time ( I havent had very many spare blocks of time since getting the new machines ) I will be implement something similar to what newb has.

words from a true AE :sleeping:

we have some of those Zombies walking around here too

We have over 80 CNC's on the floor to deal with on a DAILY basis. a multitude of different controls and machine types. I would expect my cadcam software to behave as it should/used too. It's one thing to have weeks on end to play with controls and software, It's a whole other ballgame helping to keep a manufacturing company going strong with random H,0 tool and work offsets and what else happening at random.

This release has really made ( he who's name must not be mentioned) looking right on target

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The reason I say T/H/D mis-match is not necessarrily a CAM issue is because in a lot of instances, people will change a tool number for testing, setup guys will make a fixture and write the code by hand if it's simple enough and then be about their business. So, with that being said, it's a REAL simple, EXTREMELY effective TOOL to add some logic to the tool change cycle in the machine to capture the T# and place that value in a MACRO variable, then use the MACRO variable for your H's and D's. So when you want to change a tool, you change the T# once (with no regard for H/D) or twice if you stage tools. I've been doing it this way since before I even used Mastercam. That is why I say this is not necessarrily a CAM issue. In your particular instance it is a CAM generated issue, but T/H/D mismatches have been happening since LONG before I even saw my first CNC machine.

That is why I say this is not necessarrily a CAM issue. In your particular instance it is a CAM generated issue, but T/H/D mismatches have been happening since LONG before I even saw my first CNC machine.

While that may be true, I have been programming since 1990 and Mastercam is the ONLY system that I have used that has output wrong H and D values.

While that may be true, I have been programming since 1990 and Mastercam is the ONLY system that I have used that has output wrong H and D values.

~````````````````

+1000

especially when you translate your toolpath but can happen anywhere and be weird

2 different tools can have same number too even after renumber

• Like 1

Mick,

If a situation happens where H+D do not match T number, when posting it flags a warning saying

PLEASE CHECK THE TOOL OFFSETS. OPERATION ID NUMBER = # (where # is the offending op number).

It then allows you to post and the code shows upto the offending op number, which then has a note saying OPERATION ID # and goes no further.

So it is a very safe warning.

Ah, ok, it actually halts the posting. That is a better option.