Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X6 and Version 9

westerfieldc

Hello all, I'm looking for some straight answers. Has any one had problems opening mc9 files with X6. My machine kept crashing even if I tried to use update folder. I was however able to use update folder in X5 to update the mc9 file with no problem, and X6 opens thoes fine.

With that said can anyone see a reason why I would want to keep a working version of 9 if I have updated all the mc9 files to X5.

Thanks for the help.

If you got em all updated to X5 id can the V9

Along with the fact that V9 is supported any longer

Cinco De Mayo start early this year? :laughing:

Westerfield, do you have X5? What hardmill was trying to say, is that V9 isn't supported, and X5 should open your V9 files right up.

Mastercam has a limit on how far back you can go when you open files from previous versions. For X6, V9 is no longer supported. The solution is to install X5, and use the Update Folder function. This will update all the files in a selected folder (so you can do a mass conversion). Once the files have been updated to X5, you can then read them into X6.

If you have questions about the 'Sunset' program, please refer them to your Reseller.

Thank you,

Edit: if you do not have X5 installed, you can re-install it from the Downloads section of the Mastercam website.

Mastercam has a limit on how far back you can go when you open files from previous versions. For X6, V9 is no longer supported. The solution is to install X5, and use the Update Folder function. This will update all the files in a selected folder (so you can do a mass conversion). Once the files have been updated to X5, you can then read them into X6.

If you have questions about the 'Sunset' program, please refer them to your Reseller.

Thank you,

Edit: if you do not have X5 installed, you can re-install it from the Downloads section of the Mastercam website.

I see that being a big hassle seeing as we probably have a thousand old programs.

• Like 1

We have thousands of v8 and V9 files here and to date most open fine in X6

The exceprtion is V9 files with large complex solids that were created in V9.

So far those have made the V9 to X5 to X6 transaltion without porblems

All our lathe files and mill files with dumb solids are opening OK.

V9 is a decade old...the resouces are better spent elswhere IMO

I call complete BS on this one....FFS I can open a Autocad 98 file with X6....I can see why they chose not to support the old non-associative GE3 format....or even the MC7 which was only partially associative....but to totally break the link to your code is a cop out....nothing more.

I appreciate everyones respones to this. I have been taking the time to go and update all the v9 programs with X5 update folder and while it is a slow process it is working. I understand the need to move on and I am willing to do it.

What I was really looking for was a direct statment relating to the fact that v9 files, at some point would no longer be able to be opened in the latese version of Mastercam.

Thanks for the responces.

Am I missing the hub bub?

I just opened a V9 in X6?

Some V9 files are crashing X6. The workaround is V9 to X5 to X6

I've had this happen with a V9 containing complex solids that were built in V9

dumb solids and regular wireframe have not been a problem.

Some V9 files are crashing X6. The workaround is V9 to X5 to X6

I've had this happen with a V9 containing complex solids that were built in V9

dumb solids and regular wireframe have not been a problem.

I guess since I just stuck my head up out of the foxhole I did miss something.

Thanks G