Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCam's tru COST $$$$

RandleXX

MasterCam's real cost

After you buy the Software you must also buy:

File converters

education

ect.

ect.

ect.

When a new software comes out that offers free education, upgrades, ect., it will rule the CAD/CAM world.

Don't waste your hard earned money

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think you will get a good product free of charge.

In order to become one of the best cad/cam in the world the company has to work very hard and pay a lot of money to a lot of pepole who build and design the product.

You get get free standard posts in MC cd.why do you think someone will modify it for your needs free of charge?????

[ 07-14-2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: elad ]

The first company that comes out with CAD/CAM software with free training, free custom posts and all free converters will be out of business in 90 days.

The companies that bought this "bargain" system will then have to re-purchase, re-train, and buy new custom posts for new software; software sold by a company that has some idea of what it cost to sell, train, and support customers. tongue.gif

[ 07-14-2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

I'm not out in the work force yet so I am just commenting on what I hear and see.

I love mastercam, heck a year ago at this time I truly never heard of it nor was I thinking about being in machining. I think mastercam and the CNC software team know what they are doing compared to some of the other software manufactures out there.

However I have seen two pit falls that hopefully will soon be fixed or dealt with.

The first is the pricing of educational software. Now I have no problem forking over the $300 for the first nine months then $125 every 9 after that but there are a lot of people that suffer with a hefty price tag like that.

Second problem I see is the post processors, all the other CAM packages I have had the time to talk about with dealers, students, teachers and users all compliment on the technical support that they get including post processors. I believe that items like post processors should be considered free to anyone that purchases a software package like mastercam. Now if they want coolant on a certain way or other nik-naks then charge the crap out of them. Not every business can afford fees on top of other fees just to get a machine to work.

This is just my current opinion and is always welcomed to be challenged. wink.gif

Post processor policies are set by the local dealer, and thus varies between territories.

The Mastercam CD comes with scores of posts that work quite well, and which support most of the common machine tools.

Of course, you could learn to write posts yourself, which should take between a month and 10 years, depending on the types of changes you want to make.

LOL Charles....ya it took me a year to debug the post I am using with Ver 9....

I will be 100% very soon though, thanks to the guys in this fourm smile.gif Too bad it took me so long to find this place........

**sometimes the answer is right there in front of you, but it has an invisible force-field arount it**

RandleXX....As far as the hidden costs in acquiring the licence on one seat of Mastercam......

Lets dont forget about those intrest charges.....

The way I have it figured....CNC software only got about 40% of the cash I shelled out so far....

...dont ask.....its a sad tale...... frown.gif

Mold100.....I couldnt live without Mastercam cheers.gif

Murlin

[ 07-14-2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

quote:

Post processor policies are set by the local dealer, and thus varies between territories.

Then I think CNC Software should have more control over the Post Processors. I mean if there is a customer that needs a post processor and there is one currently made for that particular machine then it should be at no cost. However if a customer want something changed within the post itself then let the reseller charge the crap out of them.

You want a CAD/CAM program that doesn't cost much - with free posts? Tell your company to buy BobCAD! Have you tried this wonderful software? Personally, they couldn't give it to me for free!!

If you want functionality, you need to pay something for it. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Case in point. Surfcam costs about the same as MC. Surfcam blows away BobCAD, of course, but it doesn't top Mastercam. CATIA costs an arm and a leg, and the learning curve also must be taken into consideration. It does a lot so I've heard, but is it worth the price?

Mastercam - for the price it costs and the powers it has, is about the best deal out there.

Tazzer,

If you spent a thousand hours developing a post for a machine tool that no one else could duplicate you dont think it would be worth something, especially a specialty post. Most

standard machine tolls have a standard MC post and generally it works o.k. and may need some minor tweaking which if you are willing to try modifying it yourself the help is right here. I think people who speacialize in post writing have a skill and should charge what they think its worth.I am just now learning the art I have always done modifications but now I am learning

about variables and what posts are about internally.Just my .02 (Thats it Im broke-new company poliy is killing me.)

quote:

When a new software comes out that offers free education, upgrades, ect., it will rule the CAD/CAM world.

Yeah, right kid. You need to wake up and smell the diaper. Are you a troll? You have absolutely NO clue what you're talking about, so why open your mouth and make yourself sound like an idiot??

quote:

Don't waste your hard earned money

How 'bout you don't waste our time with these stupid posts. We KNOW the value of Mastercam. If you think it's a bad deal, then don't buy it. Go buy Bobcad or EZ Mill or write it all out on paper then type it into the machine.

'Rekd teh Stupidity that good takes teamwork.

Rekd goes right for the juggler vein....

cheers.gif

BTW do you know how many Haas VF post processors I have? I modify one almost every month. People are picky about their code. That's OK, I think Tazzer just volunteered to write everyone's post for free!

What do you mean that would keep you from getting a job? You don't have rent, insurance, car payment, a family to feed, etc. right? Your time is obviously worth nothing. eek.gif

Reminds me of the old saw: "A man listening to a violinist comments, "I'd give my life to play like that". The violinist replies, "I did"."

I gave my life to learn how to do this job well, and you want me to give it to you! mad.gif

DanU2ok....Catia will do alot, but it takes an act of Congress to just draw a line with it, so I've heard....I guess it depends on what you are doin

Mastercam, well.....it lets me do things some of my competition using Pro-E can only dream about biggrin.gif

And I agree, I think Mastercam is definately the best deal out there for someone looking for an affordable CAD-CAM package that packs a punch..

***Murlin re-reads Randlexx's origonal post and wonders why he responded to such a trollish thread in the first place. Looks at his post counter and sighs****

I have terminal ramble-itis cool.gif

nuff said......

Murlin

[ 07-14-2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Yeah dude ... when someone comes out with a ATM machine that gives you money without you even opening a bankaccount. They will rule the ATM business ! tongue.gif

On the serious side certain salesmen if not pinned down can mislead you regarding post availability / modification. In this case, if you are not thorough in the quoting stage, you could be in for a little sticker shock. This is the case with pretty much all CAM software however. Anybody ever buy CATIA ? Spend 50 G's then find out you need 2 or 3 other modules to do what you need.

Salesman: "Oh you need 'prizmaticcatsurfwachcallit3ax' That wasnt in our proposal"

Me: DUH silly me, I shoulda known that. eek.gif

[ 07-14-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

I agree with Rekd, if you don't want to put out the money for this software you can use another. But so far I have found you get what you pay for. Not only with the software and posts, but also the education that you can get.

Last time I checked you don't have to purchase a post or take the classes. Will doing these things probably increase your companys profit and decrease the learning curve, absolutly.

Maybe if I was a charity and did my work for free I could see wanting the same from MC.

But I don't think that is going to happen very soon.

Steve S.

cheers.gif

[ 07-14-2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: ssibiski ]

MasterCam's real cost,,This was a great question.

I bought mine in 1985, plus all the other upgrades,classes tutor's,& posts added in(not adding hardware)for me came to $1:85 a day(US).

Here's a 50 dollar tip---- Tutoring and post prices may vary on if your being an a$S to the post writer.

Gentlemen I also have a question:::

What is the true cost of going to an economy brain sergon? .

[ 07-14-2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

I think I have just met the firing line. cool.gif I also would like to thank Rekd for not taking the final blow. wink.gif

Oooh and sure why not I would love to write everyones Post Processors for free. Now if it runs correctly that is your problem. cheers.gif

Haas VF post processors I have? Charge the crap out of them those picky xxxx.

You don't have rent, insurance, car payment, a family to feed, etc. right? Nope I don't have a single bill I put all my money into my education well I guess I do have a bill. It is a damn conspiracy. confused.gif

Charity maybe that is wrong with me, I do too much charity work, someone needs to slap me.

"Stupidity that good takes teamwork" No I just believe that there is a Me, Myself, and I in Teamwork. wink.gif

Thanks guys and sorry for the rambling, I love debating wierd things like this.

[ 07-14-2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Tazzer ]