Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

best machine for one offs

An Okuma MU400 or MU500 with Okuma CAS/3DVM will do Gcode simulation both offline and collision avoidance when you get the program out to the machine.

nice for okuma to have a complete solution.

but looking at the machine, what is the deal with having a spindle extension but also having some piece sticking down just as far, right where the trunnion would hit....then there is the appendage on the side of the trunnion.

looks like crash-city from this video:

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Some people just have the "anything you can do, I can do better" attitude,and quite frankly it's not at all impressive. Just my opinion though.

One of our CAMplete customers came to us with a lanudry list of things "CAMplete couldn't do", so I had to spend an hour or so debunking the lies. I later learned that the Vericut salesman had been in there trying to sell our customer on the superiority of Vericut. Problem was, he was not selling Vericut on it's own merits (which really is not too terribly difficult, it's good software), he was selling it on something else. Not sure what.

James,

I've been talking to the Icam guys for a while (our fault not theirs). seems they can really make a tailor made product for just about any CAM-Machine combo.

isn't Camplete rather incomplete 'cause it only supports a few machines?

interested in your opinion on Icam.

nice for okuma to have a complete solution.

but looking at the machine, what is the deal with having a spindle extension but also having some piece sticking down just as far, right where the trunnion would hit....then there is the appendage on the side of the trunnion.

looks like crash-city from this video:

It's the tool setter. It looks like it in the way, but it's not. It's way at the end of the travel, outside the max swing of the part.

I live in an absolute and R&D world. I have not made more than 10 of anything in 10 years.

This really depends on what world your in. Sheet metal, medical, aerospace. All have different needs.

I am in the process of due diligence with a machine similar to a Mori seiki NT, or a lathe with live tooling and Y, plus horizontal mill for a specialized group. I make ridiculous parts out of the "nel" and "Loy" family of metals. It's harder than I thought to make a choice.

Nice vid that one :rolleyes: There is actually a little more clearance than you see in the vid but yeah it is certinally possible to have a good crash. That is about the biggest part that works inside that size 5 axis machine when running to the trunion travel limits -110 +20

The part is on the FTP.

I am a Vericut fan.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

James,

I've been talking to the Icam guys for a while (our fault not theirs). seems they can really make a tailor made product for just about any CAM-Machine combo.

isn't Camplete rather incomplete 'cause it only supports a few machines?

Not really. Some may see it as that, I see it as a competitive advantage and a reason to purchase the machines that come with it. Let's face reality. CAD/CAM systems have inherent limitations. They have no idea, nor do they really care about machine kinematics. The velocity at the tool tip is DRASTICALLY different from the velocity further up the tool. CAMplete allows me to manage that velocity. Also, I can program the part anywhere, any position, any rotation and CAMplete doesn;t care. I can reposition the program with a few key strokes, done. If I have an A/C machine and a B/C machine and I program a part for the B/C machine and I need to move the program to the A/C machine... just a few mouse clicks. WIthout it you either have to edit the code :shiver: or rotate the CAD 90 deg and hope everythign regens... :shiver: . WIth CAMplete, I just change the machine and it re-posts for the new kinematics. Done. BTW, lest anyone say I'm not an actual CAMplete customer... FOr the record I am an actual full retail price paying, maintenance paying, CAMplete customer. We had to pay FULL PRICE for the software unlike our customers that get it at no charge with the machine. So our money is where our mouth is and it's worth every single penny tnd then some.

interested in your opinion on Icam.

ICAM is a great post builder. I used it probably 6 years ago and I found it extremely powerful. It was a handful though. The sales guys make it look easy. It's not that easy. You can get a lot with it, you can get simulation as well. You'll have to build the machines if you want that functionality, and IIRC (been a while so some of the details are a little fuzzy) there is an extra charge for the simulation.

i must not have been clear.

the extra white protrusion on the spindle (back of mach) plus the appendage on the trunnion that swings up toward the spindle protrusion, also back of mach.

The back of the spindle is the Z axis cover and the protrusion on the trunnion is the C axis motor covers. Any 5 axis machine has collision points. The key is to have good verification software (3DVM, Vericut, Camplete) and realtime collision avoidance features in the machine. The attached picture is from Okuma 3DVM software. It is showing a possible collision point on an MU400. However, with the CAS option enabled both the 3DVM software and the machine would stop before the collision happened. CAS even works in MDI, JOG and Handle. You can put the machine in JOG, close your eyes and push an axis feed and it would stop before it runs the machine into a collision with itself like in the picture.

post-13170-0-13838900-1331311115_thumb.jpg

The back of the spindle is the Z axis cover and the protrusion on the trunnion is the C axis motor covers. Any 5 axis machine has collision points. The key is to have good verification software (3DVM, Vericut, Camplete) and realtime collision avoidance features in the machine. The attached picture is from Okuma 3DVM software. It is showing a possible collision point on an MU400. However, with the CAS option enabled both the 3DVM software and the machine would stop before the collision happened. CAS even works in MDI, JOG and Handle. You can put the machine in JOG, close your eyes and push an axis feed and it would stop before it runs the machine into a collision with itself like in the picture.

Looks like you need very long holder to machine small part at A-90. Otherwise you'll need a high fixture and then you'll end up not having enough Y-axis travel.

The MX-520 comes with both IPS and Camplete. Then you've both offline and online collsion check.

wow high tech! boy technology has come a looong way. most could prolly 'member when all fanuc machines would hard over travel cause they had no proper software limits.

someday i will work in a "real" shop like you guys.

• 1 year later...