Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Often we forget...

Often we forget, in the rush of daily activity, the wonder of it all; that when we manipulate a graphics file a little, and click on a few buttons--thousands, and sometimes hundreds of thousands of flawless lines of code miraculously appears--and our machines are humming away, producing parts that a few years ago would have stumped even the most adept of machinists...

• Like 3

The other side of that coin is that we are standing on the shoulders of giants. Look at the sr71. No CNC, thousands of hand made titanium parts. I often think "how in the hell did they make this without?" when looking at stuff like the turbopumps for the Apollo program.

• Like 1
The other side of that coin is that we are standing on the shoulders of giants. Look at the sr71. No CNC, thousands of hand made titanium parts. I often think "how in the hell did they make this without?" when looking at stuff like the turbopumps for the Apollo program.

My grandpa is a retired machinist and he still does machining at home at 84. Watching him work shows me how we were able to do things like that, truly skilled craftsman.

i was trained/started at a shop owned by a Yugoslavian guy. the guy could do basic trig in his head and could damn near mill a perfect circle on a manual mill. some of the fixturing he had me do by titling the heads and using angle plates where the best lessons i could have ever received. i go into shops now and some guys tell me they are stumped on how to fixture parts. i just laugh inside to myself. seems like most people i come in contact with as of late cant think for themselves any more.....not all, but most...:no

I had the privilege once of being able to examine a barrel off a 1917 Le Rhone radial engine. These engines were used in the Sopwith Camel during World War One. The machining detail on this barrel was fantastic, considering the equipment that was used back then.

It is good to look back what was once was, to appreciate what has become :)

Plus 1-effing-000!!! My company re-manufactures Sikorsky S-64 Skycranes (designed and built in the '60s), and I tell you holly crap, from the design, to the drafting, to the machining, these people were freakin genius's!! I have nothing but the utmost respect for that era, or before! I think someone else who said this was right, alot of machinists these days, self included, are nothing compared to what they were back then! What I would give for a time machine to go back and watch these processes! Does anyone know of any good site/thread for photos like that?

SR71 parts were a long way from being hand made. Before CNC there was NC, and hydrotels