Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

On/T -What do you like about MC?

Scott Bond

Mastercam Is constantly taking criticism because

of some minuscule Temporary bug, also and being

Pew-pued because some 50 k ego seat has some

feature that we won't get for awhile. So how about a

counterbalance.

I appreciate the way our software has matured ,

without being sold off, or consolidated with some other

software and allowed to die off.

I like Solids ,, Solid drill ,, and create a solid

from surfaces they have been great features and

have made simple work out of a bag of snakes.

[ 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

I've never ran other cad/cam softwares so I can't do a comparison. I do know this: I love mastercam.

A SolidWorks rep badwrapped MC's design abilities, but the kid who did the demonstration [not the know-nothing sales guy] said to me when his boss left the room, "Mastercam's surfacing powers are awesome!"

I love MC's design package. And the toolpathing powers are great! SolidWorks rep said "Mastercam can't do assemblies!" I replied, "But it can cut a mean mold!!!" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh, I forgot to list what I especially like about MC. Building 3D models! I also like making blueprints. I like the flexibility of MC's dimensioning and drafting as a whole. I like the bounding box feature. Coons surfacing is fun, and powerful. Though we don't have a 5 axis router, I like messing around with Multiaxis toolpaths. The list could go on, but let's see what the other forum members like about MC.

+1 on Solids. Great tool and it keeps getting better.

+1 on the design side too, Mastercam's CAD is far better than most other CAM packages design (or lack of). MC will definately smoke SolidWorks anyday as far as surfacing goes.

I'll add the WCS to the list, it's been getting better since it's debut in v9.0.

The remove or add cuts in shallow areas in surface contour, pretty slick wink.gif

..I could go on and on here...

Flexability.....I have yet to see a comparable software package that is as flexable or versatile as MC. I also like the menu structure. For an entry level user, it doesn't get any easier than this. Out of all the different systems I have tried out, I was able to get something drawn, and a toolpath on it way faster with MC. And last but not least....Forum support!!!! biggrin.gif

two things, the design side, sure solid works can do it as well, wildfire can do it as well, auto cad can do it as well, ad infinatum. BUT, can they also do it all? And do it as intuitivly? thats what I thought. When I can I actually do my drawing in MC and then ship off for dimensioning prints and such.

second, the tool pathing and posts, I've had code for 2d come of identical to the stuff i had written by hand using an unedited fanuc post. Also the toolpaths miraculusly stay around as little or as much as you need. unlike some (cough, cough, surfcam wink.gif ) where it seems to just add in little extras, like mandatory leadins.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have yet to encounter a bug that I could not find a workaround for. How many other systems can boast that? Mastercam gives you so many different ways to do something it is a tremendous help. Best of all what I like about Mastercam is that what I do with Mastercam allows my wife to stay at home with our three boys and THAT ladies and gentlemen NOBODY can put a price tag on.!

quote:

Best of all what I like about Mastercam is that what I do with Mastercam allows my wife to stay at home with our three boys and THAT ladies and gentlemen NOBODY can put a price tag on.!

Hrm, +.5

My wife just transferred and is making $.86 more per hour than me now!!! eek.gif

'Rekd teh Mister Mom??

Hi all

I like the imediate help from the forum, these posts were 4 minutes apart.

DIARMUID

posted 07-15-2003 01:23 PM

-----------------------------------------------

Hi all

I've just donwloaded patches for sp1 and now I cannot open SAT files, can anyone help me with this?

regards Diarmuid

--------------------------------------------------posted 07-15-2003 01:27 PM

--------------------------------------------------

Make sure to grab the 'APPS' patch and the ACISDATA patch.

PDG

--------------------------------------------------DIARMUID

posted 07-15-2003 01:45 PM

------------------------------------------------

That worked great, thanks for you're help PDG

------------------------------------------------

[ 07-15-2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

I take the toolpath capabilities of mc for granted. This is definetly the strong point of mc. I post, send to the machine and cut chips. Mostly 3D stuff. The only dry runs I do is run each tool a little bit to make sure I set the tools right. Then I usually walk away and do somthing else. This is on parts that sometimes cost thousands of dollars, and if I screw up it would come out of my pocket since I own the company!

The verify feature is working the way I like it. I save the STL with each operation and bring it into the next op to see what I am really cutting. As long as I keep all of the ops in one file the STL works good. I only have STL problems when I bring in an STL from another mc version or that was saved while running another mc file.

I thought I would add a positive post, since I normally only post when I need something or can't get mc to do something. tongue.gif