Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Turn-Milling

robk

Anybody out there turn-milling using feed mills (ie., Mits AJX style of cutters or familiar)? If so, is there any info you are willing to share as to how? Any input would be appreciated.

Dont know how that work since feedmills are designed to direct the cutting force up thru

the spindle rather than causing deflection (side to side).

Personally i dont think it would be good for your turret. (long term)

An upper spindle would/might be a different story.

PEACE :D

It would be on a verical integrex with plenty of power. The part is fairly large @ over Ø50.". I don't think the forces will be an issue. I just can't picture it in my head as how to create the correct code. With the feed-mill style cutting tool geometry I don't know how to figure out as how to cut with the leading edge of the cutter. I have quite bit of experience with mill-turns as well as feed mills, but I can't put both of them to use @ the same time.

I'm working with Sandvik on this project and that tool never came up in the conversation. Not sure how that might work in Ti. but might be worth a try.

I've done it just using a rough turning toolpath and then have the tool offset in the Y-Axis

That is what I do now with corner rad tools. I tilt them .001° to cut with leading edge. How about feed mills?

Yes Rob what I did was use Curve 5 axis and make my line represent the edge of the tool as it come in contact with the surface that way the effective edge is cutting like it should if cutting in a normal axis condition. I have done with horizontals and for roughing round parts on big casting and forging. A face mill will rough the od of a part a whole lot quicker than regular turning tool will. I also will take these tools and do deep face grooves. Remember Mastercam lather will not know the milling tool has removed the material if using Material for other lathe operations. Make up dummy turning operations for the Material removal and then lock the op and also ghost it so it will not post when you go to post it out. Yes somewhat of a PIA, but helpful whe nyou need to do part transfers and they do not work correctly unless you have material defined.

At my last position, we were roughing out SAF2205 mainshafts using turn milling. They worked really well. We used the Face/Turn Milling method with 4/5 Axis. That was down on a Mori Seiki MT4000 machine. It was plenty rigid for the task.

If you want some more info I can dig it out :)