Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feature Based Drilling

Thad

I just installed X6 MU2 and want to take a look at FB Drilling. We do a lot of flat plate machining with taps, dowels and c'bored holes and I think it would come in handy. The documentation seems to be a bit lacking. I've read plenty on what it does, but now I need to know how to do it. For example, I need it to recognize a .406 diamter hole should be spotted, drilled and tapped with a M12 tap. I'm reading about hole mapping right now but I would appreciate any insight, documentation, videos, etc on the whole FB drilling thing.

Thad

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Only ever use FBM Drill for Spotting my holes, and will then duplicate it for other operations like drilling and tapping. I am not aware of any good documentation for it but would be very interested if someone could point some out. I have been playing around with it for the past 18 months and it is only just starting to get more predictable now and producing results I want...but I dont know that Im doing anything differently? It doesnt usually do what you would expect, but after a little fiddling it can be good and save a lot of time depending on the number of holes you have to do!

Years back I worked with it a bit, and it is very powerful. I'd say well worth the time learning if it fits your shop's work.

That said, I'll look around for some training materials.

Where you been Thad? (or have I just missed your posts)

Hi ,

do you have some example (file )using FBD on multy planes for 4 axis VMC?

Years back I worked with it a bit, and it is very powerful. I'd say well worth the time learning if it fits your shop's work.

That said, I'll look around for some training materials.

Where you been Thad? (or have I just missed your posts)

Chris, I haven't come around much lately since I'm still using X2 so I'm of no help on most questions. The OT forum was getting tiring and this site just isn't what it used to be.

I appreciate any info you can provide. I hope you have been well. :)

Thad

FBD does not work for 4 axis.

yes, it does.

Chris, I haven't come around much lately since I'm still using X2 so I'm of no help on most questions.

hmmm Thad your on X2...if I recall, there have been some significant improvements with fbm/fbd since then....

The OT forum was getting tiring and this site just isn't what it used to be.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went into that flaming dumpster. :nuke:

post-3836-0-52575700-1342809715_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just learned to use FBD with a tutorial that my MC dealer sent to me. Theres stuff in there I had to find out for my self but the tutorial told me enough to use it. I had 53 holes, all multi axis on different vectors. I didn't want to write 159 seperate programs for C'drill, drill, & tap and with FBD I didn't have to.

solids does not cost that much, if you need to do the work it will pay for itself.

i just started using X6 a couple of months ago and ive been using FBM drill. really need it for multi axis drilling. it works pretty well for as little as i know about it right now. waiting on a reseller to get me the tutorial.

solids does not cost that much, if you need to do the work it will pay for itself.

i just started using X6 a couple of months ago and ive been using FBM drill. really need it for multi axis drilling. it works pretty well for as little as i know about it right now. waiting on a reseller to get me the tutorial.

You're right, I was just pointing out that is is not included in working condition and that you still have to pay for something to get it. Anyway, as I mentioned I use it all the time. Whats nice is if you get a part in already made(drawn), you don't need to waste time analyzing the hole diameters. I have a library set up of specific drills I use for FBD and i use only that folder for selecting tools. I don't allow it to create new tools and I don't select spot drills or tapped holes. I have that setting as my default so its optimized to my type of jobs. if I get something different, its easy enough to change a specific parameter. I really like it and think its worth it to use it. I would use it over normal drilling any day.

Then you have to buy solids and it costs you more anyway, lol.

Mastercam Solids option is not required for FBD / FBM, but a solid model is required. With Mastercam, solid bodies can be imported and toolpaths created without purchase of Mastercam Solids.

Mastercam Solids option is a CAD tool. Adding this option has no effect on any toolpath creation.

Right?

Mastercam Solids option is not required for FBD / FBM, but a solid model is required. With Mastercam, solid bodies can be imported and toolpaths created without purchase of Mastercam Solids.

Mastercam Solids option is a CAD tool. Adding this option has no effect on any toolpath creation.

Right?

Ok let me rephrase. If you HAVE to draw yourself, then you need to get the solid options. Yes if the model comes in already done, then of course you can put the toolpaths on it.

I use FBD all the time. What exactly do you need to know?

Does it use the pilot diameter that's listed in the tool definition as the tap drill for taps?

For example, I need to put a .312 pilot diameter in my 3/8 tap definition to get it to work right? if not, how does it know what the tap drill size is?

I just tested it on some M12 taps. On tapped holes, our designers (and 95% of our customers) model in the hole size of the tap drill so it doesn't conflict with the reamed hole size. Example: M12 tapped holes are modeled .406 dia and M12 reams are modeled .472. FBM will spot and drill it with a .406 drill but won't tap it. My guess is because it would violate the model to put a .472 tap in a .406 hole. Any idea how to get around this other than to lie about the diameter of my tap and say it's .406? And if I did that, I'd have to lie about the size of my tap drill too to make it even smaller.