Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

My controller file disappers whats up?

RObert TImby

A little history, I keeping my machine def, control def and post outside of Mastercam in a server that this company gives every employee. The reason why I have a guy on second shift who likes to think he can program since he took the Mastercam lathe class had screwed up my lathe stuff a couple months back. So there it went into a protected place to jell out. Now i installed Mu2 the other day. I had to make a change so I made a changed after saving it I notice the control def was missing. Ok thought I screwed up some how, so I paste and copied it to my folder went through the whole thing again pointing everything to each other: looks good and all. I go check it again the control def is pointing to the generic control def in Mastercam again. I did this about 5 times even created a whole new one twice and i go back to the folder it's gone. Any of you guys having this problem?

I JUST had this happen to someone this morning.

I went into their folder, it was gone but was now a renamed .tmp file, I renamed it back to a control-6 file and it seem OK

It's not the first time I've seen it but haven't been able to put my finger on what's happening.

The weird part is that it was working great until I screwed with it to make a change in the control def. I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I never had this happen before to me. At least I'm not going crazy, but it did take 2 hours out of my day trying to figure this thing out.

• Like 1

I've had that happen as well.

when I opened my CNC Machines folder it was there with a .tmp file extension

Like this TAKUMI.CONTROL-6~RFebec65.TMP

I renamed it to it's proper Control-6 file extension and everthing was OK

I have no idea what is causing this

Jim,

I don't know if this is part of it but I noticed it after MU2

Take an older set files, X5 or previous, update them for X6, place them in a network location and try to link them back up

That's where I noticed it the first time........

I had this happen to me a while ago. I can't recall what I edited, but I do know it was the one time I edited a control definition that was located on a server.

I usually always store my definitions on the server, but use local copies (the issue above was the one time I used a definition on a server directly)

If I get a chance today, I will try and replicate it.

Details please... Without 'em we're guessing.

When you "saved" the Control Definition...

1> Did you do a Save? Or...

2> Did you do a SaveAs? And if so, was it to the same file (same path & name) or to a different one (folder and/or filename)?

3> Was the destination folder always a network location?

4> This "folder" where you saw .TMP copies. Was this the CNC_Machines folder? And was that folder "local" or a network location?

Details please... Without 'em we're guessing.

When you "saved" the Control Definition...

1> Did you do a Save? Or...

Save

2> Did you do a SaveAs? And if so, was it to the same file (same path & name) or to a different one (folder and/or filename)?

Saved to original location, which happens to be on the server.

3> Was the destination folder always a network location?

Yes

4> This "folder" where you saw .TMP copies. Was this the CNC_Machines folder? And was that folder "local" or a network location?

Network Drive\MASTERCAM_X6\CNC_MACHINES\

I can confirm the same as peon.

I opened a control file on the network through Settings -> Control Definition Manager -> Open An Existing Control Definition

I did nothing, other than press Save.

The original Control Definition File was named TEMP.CONTROL-6

After pressing Save the file was renamed to TEMP.CONTROL~RF5bc552.TMP

Interestingly, the title bar in the Control Definition Manager still showed the TEMP.CONTROL-6 name though.

The network path to the file is:

L:\Mastercam Machine Definitions\X6\TEMP

Settings/Machine Definition Manager--- open Control Def ... make edits ..green check out answering yes to Save queries.

then go to ops manager .. see screen shot

note the control def is now "default control"

and operation default and Operation Library settings are wrong

My files are in default locations

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx6\mill\Ops\Mill_Inch.OPERATIONS-6"

try this..

open your CNC Machines folder in Explorer

then open the a Control Def as detailed above then refresh Explorer

there will be 2 different temp files ..

I don't know if it matters but our Machine/Control Defs and Posts are on a network

P:\X6 Posts\CNC Machines\Mill\TAKUMI.CONTROL-6

post-162-0-77061000-1343944005_thumb.png

We have had a couple of customer with similar issues. I dont think it deletes the files... it renames it so you cant see it and makes you think it was deleted.

We actually had one customer who just installed MU2 tried to do an edit in the control def and had this happen. I asked him what he had changed on his computer all he could think of was MU2. He uninstalled, reinstalled MU1 and now hes up and running again.

It appears to happen with MU2 and when the files are saved on a Network location. If I get some time tomorrow or in the near future I will try to repeat the steps, do video up and send it to CNC.

I had started a topic on this a couple of weeks ago. http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=68664 In my instance, I can't tell that the files were being renamed. They just disappeared. I too have everything on a network drive so all programmers use the same files. The only solution I could make work was to have the control file on my local drive. All other files could be on the network drive. If I moved the control file to the network, everything would get jacked up.

I reproduced this phenomenon this afternoon using mpmaster and our server here. Put all three files on our server... pointed to them and went in to edit the control def. Upon editing the control defintioin it the renamed the control def wih a .tmp.

I sent a video and email with description into CNC software this afternoon. So we will just have to wait to see what we hear back.

If you look at the screen shot I posted in Post #16 of this thread, you'll see the paths to

MILL_INCH.OPERATIONS-6

and

MILL_INCH.DEFAULTS-6

are not correct

By default, they are supposed to be in

C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx6\mill\Ops

I just checked in C:\Program Files\mcamx6 and there is a copy of these file in the root of the

install.

I did not put them there, so the system must have made copies the first time I had this problem

Thanks to all that have sent information in on this issue. So far we have NOT been able to reproduce this in house. I have viewed the videos from Chris at In house and have used the exact same steps and I can't duplicate the issues. My network drives are mapped, but I also tried accessing a network driver using UNC and everything has worked fine. Now there are multiple permissions for the network where you could have Read/Write but not modify. Don't know if that matters yet or not but everything I have tried works just fine.

Some how we need to find a common denominator with those having the problem and as of yet I have not.

There was a change made in MU2 as to the function we call to do the save and rename to address an access issue that was reported, but again there is no one in the building here at CNC that has been able to reproduce. Those that are having the issue it would be nice to see it either via a web meeting or a video clip. If you have the issue and are willing to participate in a g2m web meeting or create a video please email us at [email protected] and let us know that you are available and when.

Thanks for all the help with this one.