Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Default Operations Interaction - X

OK everyone, one more question...

As i scan through the bugs and requests logs for Default Operations related issues i see conflicting requests and complaints that i'd like to square away for X.

If in V-9 you edit the clearance height on a contour operation the next contour operation will remember that height. But, if you create a pocket operation after the contour the clearance height is still set to the default height for pockets and not what the user entered for the contour.

What should happen?

a. - Should the system always go back to the defaults for each operation type the first time it is used and then use the new values the user edited? (that's how it works now)

b. - Should the system take the last clearance height edited and create all subsequent toolpaths using that height? (It used to work this way, but many people complained)

(This affects all kinds of things, Retract and feed planes, stock height, depth, stock to leave, tolerances, etc.)

If your answer is A then we don't need to change a thing for X. If your answer is B, then tell me what should and shouldn't be included in this approach.

Your feedback on the other questions has been very useful, not everything suggested or requested will be implemented, but your comments are having a positive influence on what is being written into the specifications (and hopefully the software as well)

Thanks,

Ken

my vote is leave it as is.

one small thing..

you give us an option for rapid retract.

how about a check box for rapid to depth. there are some problems with this now. but we do a lot of face milling with depth cuts, and its rare that we need a feed to depth.

How about a mini setup page for each view/WCS that would allow for a few defaults based on what your active t/cplane or WCS is. On the top face I want a retract of 2" to clear clamps when I machine the front .250 clearance is good enough... 5 axis, on this face I need 7" clearance on face b i only need 2"... You get the idea. I know this isn't what you asked but hey...

I like the toggle idea or leave AS IS.

[ 08-11-2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Roger Peterson ]

quote:

How about a mini setup page for each view/WCS that would allow for a few defaults based on what your active t/cplane or WCS is.

Now THIS would be useful!!!

I use WCS on everything that has 1 or more operations, and to be able to create a sheet for each WCS would be awsome!!

'Rekd

I already have a list of things I would like to put in the mini setup for views but I don't want to be greedy. Most importantly I think defining a nci destination based on view would be awsome. I currently do this by having my nci destination match my group name which limits how you can use groups but it does work.

sorry for the hijack

[ 08-11-2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Roger Peterson ]

quote:

I have a hard time imagining a situation where you would want different numbers for a contour and a pocket.

I am constantly using different clearance for pockets, drills, contours etc. Especially when programming single parts with up to 6 offsets on the same program, hitting it from different views. If I 'forget' to set it back to the default, I get these funny loud noises from the machine when I run the parts, and often cut air for the remainder of the program.. eek.gif

'Rekd teh enlightenment

Rekd has a very good point. What happens if you machine 5 contours inside a set of clamps and then you need to pocket with the same tool on the outside of your clamps? I know....WHAMMMMM!!!! Now considering most of us will remember to pull the tool up before moving, but I will go out on a limb and say that some will forget which will obviously lead to many problems. Leave it as is. If you change it, then the toggle has to be.

Not only that but if you do alot of castings or d o secondary machining in the pockets once you rough them out. If you are machining pockets on a deep mold with webs you dont always want it to start at the top maybe near the bottom on the inside and outside of a web.

Then there are time when you might be doing a increment clearance verses a absolute clearance. It would be great if you could choose.

Just my opinion though.

Crazy Millman

Yes, loud unexpected noises, followed by air cutting is why we decided to go with the current method of A. Of course you can still mess that up if you need values higher than the defaults, i guess you still have to be careful no mater what options we give you.

We constantly stuggle with giving users more flexibility at the risk of allowing them to do inadvertant harm. Flexibility can be both a blessing and a curse.

I think i have some ideas to work with that will either make everyone happy or equally mad.

I am still trying to get my head around the idea of allowing separate settings based on a named view. It sounds like you want a "Heights and Planes" option in the view definition that would allow you to create a named view and then set specific values to be used when that named view is used instead of the defaults or modal values from previous operations.

Did i get that right?

Ken

I'd like:

- All ops to use clearance/TOS/Feed Plane from previous op as the default.

- The option to set different 'approach' and 'retract' clearance heights, like lathe's ref points.

- A Job Setup option for setting default clerance/TOS/Feed Plane.

- MasterCAM to stop outputting 3-axis rapid moves when I use different clearance heights on adjcent operations.