Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How Many of you use this tool

cadcam

quote:

When done set the WCS back to the start location were you set the stock.

There's another way that may be easier..

As Jay said, create your stock in the first WCS you're going to create a toolpath with. When you want to verify, you can without going back to the WCS manager. Just select one operation in the first WCS, and regen it, (this will set the WCS to that operation as far as verify knows, but keep it as you have it selected for everything else, which is prolly a bug). Then select all and verify. Much quicker if you already have the ops manager open and want to verify, cuz you don't have to close it, open the WCS, change it, close it, open the ops manager, then verify.

'Rekd

[ 08-13-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Reked.

Like you said should not have use so many clicks.

I find it's still pretty fast by I use "Alt-N"

Pick then "Alt-O" and varify.

If I need to go to the Job settup we have that quick button in the ops manger now if you are using the C-Hook makes it faster to.

Or like me use "Alt-J"

Have to love the Quick buttons on the key board.

I started using Mastercam with version 9. The other versions I realize did not have the WCS.

I've used it to simulate machining but have yet to actually try it out 'for real'. I love it. Getting it to verify on all sides of a part was tricky, but I learned a few good techniques from the forum. Rekd wrote down some good tips. The cube example is a good one. I tried that already and it does help getting the verify to work right.

I designed a spoiler mold. The bottom mold was worked on with the WCS set to Top, as is the norm for most occasions. But when I need to make design mods on the top mold I set the WCS to bottom and life is easier. When the WCS is set to top and I accidently hit Iso Gview the part flips out of view and I'd have to re-dynamic view it. So basically what I'm saying is the WCS is a valuable tool for the designing aspect of MC as well as the programming end.

quote:

If I need to go to the Job settup we have that quick button in the ops manger now if you are using the C-Hook makes it faster to.

Not that you'd ever need it now with that bitchen c-hook, but you can right-click in the ops manager and Job Setup is towards the bottom.

'Rekd teh useless tidbits

I don't think I could go back to not having the WCS. At least not without becoming a whiny... I think back to all the wasted time.

I have taught so many people the WCS, some people have a bit of trouble at first and then it just clicks and they realize why this is such an enhancement and how much easier programming will be.

[ 08-13-2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Roger Peterson ]

quote:

I'm saying is the WCS is a valuable tool for the designing aspect of MC as well as the programming

I hadn't thought of that...huge files might flip right over instantly....

+1 for Dan......na, + 2

I might just use WCS a little more now....specially for making fillets when you need to flip your geometry over to change all the normals.......

Wheres my Hasp......I must try this out....

Murlin teh two heads are better than one cheers.gif

ok ok I know I am going to get some slack for this one. I am ready to have the wraft of god hurrled at me. I have not used it here doing 3 axis. I did use to use it doing 5axis but not doing 3axis. I know it is a great tool just always use to move point and shoot that just one them habits hard to get out of.

Crazy Millman

We feel the eyes that are put onto us with disbelief as we walk out into the light. Is that the path or are we just lost. Then as if a dream the world just turns upside down. Then you have to think was it ever really right side up or was I just always upside down.

I use it whenever possible. Lately, I haven't had a need for it with simple 2D stuff. I need to try Rekd's method of getting an accurate verify because that was always one of my complaints about it. Also, I believe you still cannot verify to an STL when in a WCS other than top.

Something that I often forget is that when importing ops, which I do for amlost everything, I need to first go into the parameters and change WCS. The WCS that was current when saving the op is "attached" to the op. All my ops are saved in the top WCS.

Thad teh "Why won't it climb cut!?!"

Silly question perhaps, but how does WCS differ from Cplane and Tplane other than if you're in say the bottom WCS, the "top" view is now the bottom. I've been moving origins and rotating Tplanes in unlimited rotations around parts since V8. They even verified correctly.

Thanks for any insight.

TJ

quote:

ok ok I know I am going to get some slack for this one. I am ready to have the wraft of god hurrled at me. I have not used it here doing 3 axis.

Crazy Millman, you are not alone !

Mostly I don`t use it , even don`t move origin ,simply translate all my model to the origin.

My work mostly sorta one part one time work , so I don`t need it .

Old habits , simple ways.

PS Millman ,have you seen crazy advices for dummies ?

Iscander teh old-timer .

quote:

ok ok I know I am going to get some slack for this one.

I know I'm gonna get slamed for this so I puts me helmet on first eek.gif

you guys gotta see delcams wcs. ask for a demo just to see it.it is way cool. I was told that this was demonstrated to the gods at cnc software.

you just select the side you want and manipulate the x,y,z in the diection you want and thats it.

you can then with a click of the mouse go from one to the other.

ok I'll shut up now. I still us MC and probably allways will biggrin.gif

May^day , aka Mayday ,aka Fall_Guy !

Generally speaking I think that MC now in a situation , when they must make a very important decision.

What to do next : to turn Mastercam to some monster like Unigrafics or Powermill or stay slick ,simple and fast like before ?

The more options, functions and other features ->

more complex database (MC9), more complex program

and more chances for bugs!

To stay slick ,fast and simple - the new users always compare program with some else (Hey, they don`t have this !!!)

Look on some recent features like WCS ,undercut surfacing,VBscripts and etc ..

I enjoy them like you all , but ...

Now nice kind people of CNC software even kindly ask us , common users what features we like to have.

Now, imagine we`ll have even only half of them !

Well , it can became a monster program with a lot of possibilities for bugs !

So my message is this :

Enjoy MC as it is and let us hope that future versions will be simplier and more stable than MC9.

And if some program has something better that Mastercam you can easily find a lot of things that Mastercam does better !

I only wish it will be simple and fast as before !

And WCS IMHO is only in the age of early childhood.

Iskander teh simpleton !

quote:

I only wish it will be simple and fast as before !

I agree, they can't add everything every one want's. It is great they are asking us end users what we want! my dislikes are the endless mouse clicks that are generated because of the versitility of doing so much, so many differnt ways. my opinion is decide what you are going to do and stick with it and streamline it wink.gif

Yeah Plasttav I do it the same way and yes it we get more than 5 of something to do here I make sure noone is sick that day. I have programmed over 75 different parts in the last 5 months. Just that works best for the sitation.

Just being funny about the whole wraft of god thing.

Crazy checking out till the same bat time the same bat channel

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Plastav,

I agree about the "monster" Unigraphics. I used it for about 6 years, and prefer Mastercam. Sure, its a powerful modeller, but there was too much to set in the toolpaths, and their post processors sucked big time.

Give me Mastercam any day smile.gif

And, I rarely use the WCS...but I need to start using it more...when time permits me to practice with it frown.gif

Mick

quote:

I have programmed over 75 different parts in the last 5 months

Every day average 4-8 programs and setups .

Programs from 1-2 tools to 20-25 tools (2,5 and 3axes ).

Mostly one part .Mostly molds .Copper, steel ,hardened steel .

Machine time from 2 minutes to 20 hours .

Never scraped something.

In 4 years I had may be 1 or 2 jobs to do second time.

No spare parts , no place to fault .

It makes you very cautious and conservative .

The old , proven ways are the best ways in such situation !

Iskander teh minefield walker

[ 08-17-2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

Plastav,

I could really use your help on an issue with a local customers machine that has.....wait for it...a *Siemens 840D* controller (I know I know frown.gif )

If you're willing, could you email me off the board to discuss this? (I dont want the board clogged with Siemens slagging smile.gif

I'm keen on your input, since you've had some experience with this control.

If you can't be bothered, I can also understand that as well smile.gif

Regards,

Mick