Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

opportunity knocks ?

mayday

time to spill me guts, I feel I can trust you guys out there. you all seem to have a level head about things.(maybe a little twisted) biggrin.gif

got a call today from someone I know pretty well. He runs a prototype shop. doing 90% 3d work. they have Hase(cant spell),mazaks, 4 EDM. 4 - 5 seats of MC cheers.gif . he needs a programmer/floor supervisor/help everyone guy. he took over this place 6 months ago and is banging out the work. Cool stuff. they just made wheels(harley) for Uncle Kracker, the rock guy smile.gif Ive been with current place 10 yrs. starting to suck. sick of drilling holes and face milling fabrications. the money's as good or better. He' basicly told me (quote)Tell me what you want and its yours.

whatcha think. I know its tough out there

beer cheers.gif with me guys on response time it is Friday

[ 09-12-2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: May^Day ]

Up front I would say go for it biggrin.gifcool.gif . My only question is this: Where do you have the better stability? If the new gig is a better future and you can support the family (if your married and/or have kids) then head out as fast as you can because chances like this are RARE! If you don't have a wife/kids, then DEFINATLY GO FOR IT cheers.gifcheers.gif !!! I hope you have a great time at the new place. HTH wink.gif

If opportunity knocks, at least open the door. Got any vacation time left.....maybe you can try it out for a week or two.Then If you take it stipulate that you want vac. time up front .

Tough choice with 10 yrs. seniority (seniority, yeah rite !)and economy down. Do you know the background of the new company?

Getting stale sucks too. 5-10 years ago i'd jump in a heartbeat under your circumstances.

Where is Merrill, mi.? maybe I've heard of the shop.

Good luck cheers.gif

M.O.

good response I expected that.

I cant name every one here so,,,I am married/with children, one 18, one 16, I have 13 yrs at the fist place / where I started with MC. 10 yrs at current. the new place has been around for a long time. just new mamagement. current place 30 miles west of saginaw Mi. new place in saginaw. 45 min drive. they make lots of prototype parts(before the investment castings) for Delphi,Vistion, ect. and anything else they can get there hands on. new management is a cool guy. we golf together on the same league. he's benn buggin me all summer. My wife says do it. the home page is web page check it out

I have a friend that is a successful accountant. We were talking one day about what a company considers when deciding to kill an ongoing project. One of the more interesting points he made was this. It does not matter how much money the company has spent on the project. It could be millions. That money can never be recouped. What does matter is how much more money will be needed to finish the project. This can be applied to your current dilemma. The ten years you have spent at your current company can never be regained. The question to ask your self is what your current company has to offer you in the future and what does the new company have to offer. Nobody is secure in their current job. Are there more new, exciting, career promoting, and educational opportunities at your current company or the new company? The list of factor to consider is extensive. But the past is the past and can never be recouped.

When I look back on my past experiences, I spent eleven years at my last job; I wished I had moved around more before the family came along. I think I would be more rounded in my skills and experiences.

What ever you decide I wish you the best.

HTH

Do whats right for you buddy.

For me seniority never was worth much.

Most of the shops out there will get rid of you

and you know you won't be getting any notice.

When your times up, you know it rolleyes.gif

If your looking ....YOU KNOW THE REST

PEACE biggrin.gif

[ 09-12-2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Hardmill ]

Sounds like a great opportunity, but I can also sympathize with your uncertainty. The unknown is always a bit frightening, no matter how good it sounds. However from what you've said about your current job, it seems like it's run the course, and you're ready for new challanges....that said,

GO FOR IT! cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Besides, 40 years from now would you like to look back at what opportunites you passed by, or at the exciting things you have indeed done. biggrin.gif

Well May^Day when it comes t odoing things like this make sure it all it is cracked up to be. I can say I kinda like it here but not what what is was suppose to be. You have an advantage for 30 minutes a day more driving well worth the shot. I came all the way out here to Calforina from Florida on just such thing. I will tell you this much about this business everyone wants it yesterday and no one wants to here more than 3-4 days on anything. I tell them it will take 3 weeks they quote 5-7 days. I say talk to who you are working for now and explain the way it is. I gave a month notice the last place and the one before that cuase I was so much a part of the business. I could if need be go back to either one right now. I think if you want to expand your knowledge then go for it. I have worked in 17 different shops in the last 17 years and would not trade anything I have learned in any of them.

Good Luck and if you got your wife behind you there is half the battle won already.

Crazy Millman

[ 09-12-2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Millman^crazy ]

quote:

I have worked in 17 different shops in the last 17 years and would not trade anything I have learned in any of them.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you sent your resume to me with 17 shops in 17 years, it would get tossed in the trash! Sorry Millman. eek.gif

Thad

Well Thad in the last 8 years it has been 4 places. Current postion is Shop Supervior, Last Position was 5 axis Programmer and Machinist doing Aerospace work they lost a big contract and cut all top people's pay mine was $24,000 less a year, the company before that I was the Shop Supervisior for almost 4 years at a company I started from the ground floor up. When our biggest customer went out of business and we lost 50% of our business. I had been trying for over three years to get the owner to do different work and he didnt want to. In that 4 years he put 1.2 million in his retirement I got $3,200. I left so the 4 guys who I had working for me could keep their jobs all who had familes, the job before that almost 3 years when I was threaten with bodly harm when I quit working the 80 to 90 hours a week when I got married to my wife.

Yeah think it would be good for me if you did cuase you are not looking for a talneted person just a body to fill a position. Alot of my job hoping what between 16 to 24 so I tell you to stick that in the trash also!!!!!!

Crazy Millman

Oh yeah you want to know what a person like me is doing tonight. I am fixing one the owenrs mistakes I will problay be here till 5:00 am tommorrow been here since 6:00 am and wll take them to the airport to be flown to where the customer will have them at 12:00 pm tommorrow yeah would make sense to me not that have a person like me working there!!!!

[ 09-12-2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Millman^crazy ]