Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Corrupt Tools

When you open a file and get a corrupt tool warning, note which tools are listed.

Then say no and open the file.

Build new tools and use them to replace the corrupt ones.

I really have no idea what causes this.

I've had it happen once in the last couple of months.. some guys get it every day

I did that and then when I save the file and reopen it I have different paths that go dirty for corrupt tools. So I fix those close it and go through the whole thing again. Like 4 or 5 times before it's cleaned up and stays and then I got the multiple tools error when I tried to post it. I had imported some of these tool paths from a different X7 file and I thought that might be the problem. I deleted all the paths and recreated them from scratch, that seemed to fix it for a little bit but then I got the other problem I posted the picture of. I don't know if there is something with this file it doesn't like but this one has been a real mess.

Kevin K.

Just wondering if most of you updated your tool libraries using the "Update folder" utility? I have NOT used that utility and have not had any issues with the tools many of you are speaking of. I updated my tool libraries in this fashion:

- Open your tool manager within X7

- In the lower section, open a previous version tool library eg: johnford.tools-6

- Select all those tools (Click on the top tool, hold the shift key and select the bottom tool.

- Move all those tools to the top section of the tool manager by hitting the "arrow up" button on the far right. (Hold the enter key down instead of clicking "yes" for every similar tool

-In between the upper and lower sections, hit the "create a new tool library" button and give your new library a new filename and hit save. (be sure to save your new tool library in the proper folder you desire)

- Select all the tools in the upper section and hit the "arrow down" button on the far right side

-Hit the green check on the lower right corner and select "yes" to save your changes

Try using your newly created library and see if this works for you. I'm not certain that is the answer, but like I said, I haven't experienced any of these problems using this method. I eventually changed all my tools that shared the shank and cut diameters to different lengths. Eg: flute = .590", shoulder = .595", overall = 1.968". That will take some time, but I was not busy at the moment and managed to get all my tool libraries defined properly.

I Did not migrate or update any tool librairies from X6 and I still ocasionlly get a corrupt tool. Almost seems at random. Mainly happens when I close a file at the end of the day and reopen it the next day to finish.

I wonder if it's a network thing - save the file just before shutting the pc down and if the network isn't very fast, mcam maynot save 'properly'???

Don't know - clutching at straws - but from what you guys say it's a last thing at night 1st thing in the morning prob???

I am getting this on tools imported from my X6 library, from new tools. I am having tools convert to custom tools upon re-opening the file. It's a bit of a pain when you have different speeds and feeds set in toolpaths and you have to replace a tool. Please fix this ASAP.

I'm not sure they can do anything about an X6 file that already has duplicate (aka corrupt) tools stored inside it. That's what the warning message is for. The warning message comes up when it detects this problem in older files. The SP2 fix I was referring to was when people were getting this problem when working in X7 (even with a brand new part file). You should NEVER be able to create a new part file in X7 with this issue. Even if you bring in an older file, once you fix it the file should be good from then on.

With respect to the converting to custom tools issue, I will have to check the logs. I won't hijack this thread for that since it is a separate issue. Let me see what I can find on that and I'll get back to you.

I'm not seeing how these tools now all of a sudden are corrupt. I've had plenty of files with similar sized tools or identical tools with different tool numbers/feeds/speeds that aren't corrupt and they work just fine in every single version prior to X7. I dont see why I should have to spend time on 'fixing' tools that are perfectly fine so I don't get an erroneous error message and mess up my file every time I open them in X7.

Am I seeing this wrong or something?

• Like 1

I haven't opened a single X6 file and converted it to X7 because I am the only one using X7 at this time in our shop. I am having too many issues to have to listen to everyone else complain about me screwing up their PC's after installing X7 and them not being able to use verify, and create new tools. I have yet to be able to get a good verify on a large program.

On the last part I programmed I opened an STP, created a bunch of tools, imported a couple, and some of the created tools became corrupt. Custom tools and facemills seem to be problematic at times. I consider myself a custom tool master and the first one I created in X7 came in like .250" too low in Z and the wrong diameter. I had to revert back to a regular slot mill because I could not get it to work.

As for the duplicate tools, I use duplicate tools with different feeds and speeds set for slotting, profiling, facing, etc. So Rich, you are saying this isn't a good thing to do? Because if so I am just going to go back to X6 because I can't take the time to deal with this on every part I program. I have had the same tool library since X and it's been a major work in progress that is a lifesaver when programming a complex part. I really don't want to re-create all of these tools.

As for the duplicate tools, I use duplicate tools with different feeds and speeds set for slotting, profiling, facing, etc. So Rich, you are saying this isn't a good thing to do?

Kev - just to be clear are you saying you have duplicate tools (ie with the same tool number) in your file? If so why would you do that?

I can obviously understand duplicate tools in the tool library.

Mr corn-fused from the UK :lol:

I know one thing, this needs to be fixed A.S.A.P.

Doesn't look like its going to be fixed at all. Rich said they probably can't do anything with the X6 files being brought in having these so-called corrupt tools.

As for the duplicate tools, I use duplicate tools with different feeds and speeds set for slotting, profiling, facing, etc. So Rich, you are saying this isn't a good thing to do?

No, sorry for not being clearer. You aren't doing anything wrong. We would expect that you may want to use a tool in more than one operation. It's a defect in the software, not your workflow. The 'duplication' or corruption I was referring to has more to do with the storage of tools within the part file. Each unique tool should receive a unique ID. This ID is used internally by Mastercam (not to be confused with the tool number property). It's nothing you can set in the software. The ID gets assigned automatically when the tool is brought into the part file. Duplicate ID's can lead to ambiguity when the software has to fetch a tool from the part file. I don't know all the specifics but this is my understanding of the issue. I just don't want you to think you can't use the same tool twice.

Kev - just to be clear are you saying you have duplicate tools (ie with the same tool number) in your file? If so why would you do that?

I can obviously understand duplicate tools in the tool library.

Mr corn-fused from the UK :lol:

Yes, I have a mill drill I use for spot drilling. I use the same tool for profiling and chamfering. These all require different feeds and speeds. But they are all the same tool in my machine. So in my programs 9 times out of 10 I have:

#1 - 5/16" Mill Drill - Spot

#1 - 5/16" Mill Drill - Chamfer

I don't like having to edit my feeds and speeds on 50 toolpaths because I am using the same tool to do 3 different operation types.

I've had X7 loaded for over 8-9 months now. Tool library and custom tools issues is what keeps me from using it for daily production. This is the first time ever for me. Before this release, I've always used MC for production while still in beta.