Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

i found a way to fix every problem in X7

oneyankfan1

Watcher mentioned this in his post and I have mentioned this previously. I think everyone here should give this blog a read and it will open your eyes to some of the goings on with Mastercam and CAD/CAM in general.

http://camzone.org/2...ut-it/#more-670

And particularly relevant to this thread is his most recent article:

http://camzone.org/2...-cax/#more-1274

In my estimation the assessment of the current state of Mastercam is spot on.

And particularly relevant to this thread is his most recent article:

http://camzone.org/2...-cax/#more-1274

In my estimation the assessment of the current state of Mastercam is spot on.

First off, WOW! I'm blown away by the how much this thread has grown. I read the first few post a couple of days ago when it only two pages and haven't logged on since, so it took me a bit to read my way through all the most recent posts.

I have to say that a lot of the gripes that you guys have, I also have. I'm just not as vocal about it for the most part.

Like others here, I've hoped for new releases to fix problems that have been around for years or even at a more stable new release. But time and time again, new releases have fallen short of the hype that precedes them.

I think Bob said it best that we end up getting so used to the workarounds, that it becomes second nature. And I for one have spent many hours and countless hair pulling sessions because of them, just to get the job done, out the door, and on time.

(not to mention many 750ml recovery sessions) :wine:

I also took he time to read the private blog article above. Usually I'm not a big fan of these type of articles as they are for the most part someone out there just venting, or promoting propaganda. But this one did seem have some good insight on more than just Mastercam. I've work with a few of the software mentioned and agree with the points given on those.

Although it did seem like the writer was bashing CNC for mistakes made in the way the software is, it's not to much different than what most of us here have been saying for years. We like bells and whistles, but fix the bugs first! Even if it takes a little longer for the next release.

I've been a fan of MasterCam for many years and it's helped me make a living for at least the last 15 years, so I had been hoping that CNC would get it's act together and give us something good with X7. But again, I think that they've really continued in the wrong direction with the addition of features which IMHO were less necessary than good stable fixes to old problems. I mean really, I could of done with out a new tool manager that doesn't really work and makes creating a tool a longer process than before.

Well, for me, the energy that I spend relearning some of the new features in Mastercam can be better spent on learning another more reliable software like Catia. Which is now a priority for me.

JM2¢

I would love to be on 7 but they didn't feel that it was necessary to put on update function that goes into subfolders and since I don't feel like updating over 250,000 parts files manually I'll to work with 6 I will just wait for them to fix it and hope the new solid works doesn't come out before they fix the latest cutting edge disaster!

I would love to be on 7 but they didn't feel that it was necessary to put on update function that goes into subfolders and since I don't feel like updating over 250,000 parts files manually I'll to work with 6,...

they did,... :huh:

You know that we need to keep throwing some gas on the fire if we want things to change. :devil:

And like they say "change is good".

That's cute, how you think they give a sh*t about a dozen whiners on a forum

that the vast majority of users probably don't even know exists.

Unfortunately, like many other things, it's borken.

I tried it using the source as destination, as well as specifying

a different destination. Same result, no recursion.

Chewes, some particular reason you need to convert all that at once?

I just convert 'em individually, as the need arises.

Chewes, some particular reason you need to convert all that at once?

I just convert 'em individually, as the need arises.

same here.. we've got a terabyte of Mastercam files going back to V5.

I just convert them as I need them. I can't think of a single good reason to keep all that

data at the latest greatest revision

Unfortunately, like many other things, it's borken.

I tried it using the source as destination, as well as specifying

a different destination. Same result, no recursion.

That was not my experience with the utility, I use it to update custom machine / control defs & tool libraries, the files get updated and placed in the appropriate folders

While I have not tried to update 250K worth of part files, I have run a number of part files (couple 100 or so) through the update going from X6 to X7.

That was not my experience with the utility, I use it to update custom machine / control defs & tool libraries, the files get updated and placed in the appropriate folders

While I have not tried to update 250K worth of part files, I have run a number of part files (couple 100 or so) through the update going from X6 to X7.

IIRC I also migrated my libraries without issue.

The issue is recursing sub-directories while migrating part files. I tried twice this afternoon without success,

files in the top level directory are migrated but not in sub-directories.

Please try migrating some part files in nested directories and see if you have success.

Maybe I'm missing something, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

The issue is recursing sub-directories while migrating part files. I tried twice this afternoon without success,

files in the top level directory are migrated but not in sub-directories.

Please try migrating some part files in nested directories and see

I ran the update file utility specifying parts only on 500+ part files going from a main folder with a number of sub-folders. These are my training files so things are broke down based on what class is being taught (Intro Mill, Advanced Mill, Lathe, etc,...) I created a empty folder for all the parts to go to and all folders were recreated in the process of the update. I did the update local to the computer that Mcam is loaded.

I have not confirmed running the update across a network, are you running the update across a network?

Are you using a vault system like PMDWorks?

Were there file association warnings during the update process? Yes.

Did I go through all my files to double check file associations? Yes

(but these are training files, file association warnings are not a good thing when teaching folks how to use the software)

If these were customer part files I would address the file association on a case by case basis, the same as if I were opening files individually that had been programed in a previous version of Mcam.

I think if I had 250K worth of part geom I would need to rethink how I'm creating that geom, what could get archived, what could possibly be deleted, 480+ part files/week over 10yrs seems a bit excessive.

$0.02

I ran the update file utility specifying parts only on 500+ part files going from a main folder with a number of sub-folders. These are my training files so things are broke down based on what class is being taught (Intro Mill, Advanced Mill, Lathe, etc,...) I created a empty folder for all the parts to go to and all folders were recreated in the process of the update. I did the update local to the computer that Mcam is loaded.

I have not confirmed running the update across a network, are you running the update across a network?

Are you using a vault system like PMDWorks?

Well, I wasted the last 1/2 hour messing with this.

I created a nested directory structure locally (on my desktop) for testing.

X7 SP2 does not recurse.

X6 MU3 functions correctly.

This isn't an issue for me personally, I don't update part files with the utility.

Just sayin' it's broke.

Try using it. I doesn't work, crashes everytime! Was told it was an issue that will be dealt with in MU1. Along with the fact you can't save any posy without file extensions, sorry but it is a pain to have to delete the extensions of files when you are trying to get some actual work done. But again I will just sit and wait!

No I miss typed .nc files. Biesse machines won't accept an extension with your code. So it is just more of a pain than you would think when you work in a 500,000 ft facility and you get walk it because you missed a file extension. It wasn't a claim, I have over 250,000 part files separated in thousands of folders. It is called 10 years worth of work. The reason we update them all is now that mastecam decided to add version number to extension you end up with double files and when you open it without updating the 6 file in 7 it creates corrupt machine code. Also not everybody out their is as experienced as us and trying to show people work arounds and shortcuts leads to disasters.

Just a guy trying to do his job, just wish the creators would make it easier!

No I miss typed .nc files. Biesse machines won't accept an extension with your code. So it is just more of a pain than you would think when you work in a 500,000 ft facility and you get walk it because you missed a file extension. It wasn't a claim, I have over 250,000 part files separated in thousands of folders. It is called 10 years worth of work. The reason we update them all is now that mastecam decided to add version number to extension you end up with double files and when you open it without updating the 6 file in 7 it creates corrupt machine code. Also not everybody out their is as experienced as us and trying to show people work arounds and shortcuts leads to disasters.

Just a guy trying to do his job, just wish the creators would make it easier!

Hello Chewes,

You mentioned stripping the .NC file extension. Is this something you want done during the posting process? It is certainly possible to create a NC file and save it with no file extension. You need to do this in the Post in the 'pprep$' post block. You'll also need to add some code to 'ppost$' to get the full file path and name for the NC file, and use the 'setncstr' function to let the Editor know that is the file you want to display in the editor.

Please contact your Reseller for help with this. We can easily help them get that issue solved so you don't have to worry about it again.

Thanks and best regards,

Colin