Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

i found a way to fix every problem in X7

oneyankfan1

This discussion reminds me of the hot debates going on when the tree style menus were first introduced.

People hated them and said so long and loud.

4 years in, I suspect most people like them.. and grind their teeth when using one of the

old treeless legacy toolpaths.

The new Verify is very different and has some kinks, the most irritating being that

you can't setup and save defaults.

The new Verify also has the potential to be a very nice tool, far superior to what it's replaced.

It's introduction was pretty rocky, but it will get straightened out

• Like 1

Kdgrills please tell me how you would make your own CAM software? Tell me how you have figured out how to make it do everything not only you need but the thousands of people in 80 different countries want as well. Nothing is stopping anything from moving forward and not clear when anyone said it needed to stop moving forward.

Just so everyone is clear these are my opinions and my opinions alone. I am an independent contractor and though I do work for many different companies I have formed them all on my own without anyone telling me what or how I should say what I am saying.

RoR @ the thought of Crazy being a puppet. I too am an independent contractor that makes my living, (and a good one at that) with mastercam. Is it perfect, no. Are any of them, (and I see them all in my business), no. Does mastercam give me all the tools I need to do my job for my customers in a timely, cost effective, and competitive fashion, yes. Call me fanboi if you like. It will roll off like water on my way to the bank. Thank You CNC software for all you do.

edit: Sure I have complaints about the software, but I choose to stay focused on the positive and work towards a goal that I think will benefit all who use the product in a constructive fashion. As Ron said, These are my own thoughts and are not representative of any others. Nothing I have said here is intended as a shot at anyone. I respect all of your opinions. Just my 2 cents.

Well I think the majority that complain, like me, are upset about the fact that there are so many features that do not function correctly and need a workaround. It has got to the point where everyone has become adept using workarounds. If the features that have had bugs for years would just get ironed out that would probably please the majority. No one can say without laughing at themselves that it was alright to release UVBS without a Front End. Come on. I to have made a good living using Mastercam, but with this release my work proficiency has gone backwards not forward as you would hope with a new release. Just my Opinion.

Kdgrills please tell me how you would make your own CAM software? Tell me how you have figured out how to make it do everything not only you need but the thousands of people in 80 different countries want as well.

I haven't the faintest idea, my company hired Mastercam (#1 in the market place for 18 years)

to do that. Apparently "it's not easy" is your story, & you're sticking to it.

Nothing is stopping anything from moving forward and not clear when anyone said it needed to stop moving forward.

I got the impression that you thought my criticism was somehow impeding Mastercam from progressing, apparently I was wrong, sorry.

• Like 1

It boils down to disapointment and expectation.

Yes we all make a living with MC bug free or not.

IMHO MC has the greatest quanitity of bugs and the longest wait for

bug fixes. That being said, yes I will move to X7 eventually, probably MU2 or 3

Just like i did with X6. I avoid the time consumeing process of finding the bugs

and workarounds these days because i just dont have the time to

work with the new problems in the new releases.

The only one it really bothers is my boss and his

views on his investment. I get the job done with X6, so there is no hurry for X7

for me until it is stable.

CNC is doing thier best and we have seen it this way since X2.

• Like 1

I worked in a saw mill when I was in high school. Making custom windows and doors, planing 12" x "12 x 36' oak timbers and making every type of molding and based board there was. I was learning how to plane wood and make all the pieces needed for the doors and windows. My boss always knew the right way always had the best way and I respected he followed his dad's footsteps. One day he did not like the way my little brother was planning some wood on the sharper. I had taught him what I thought was the safe way and the best way to make the cut. The onwer's was better and faster and what did some punk kid know anyway. He went to do it and slipped and cut his finger 90% off. It took 3 months before he could use that hand again and he had to watch me and my brother do all the work he was use to doing his way our way. I still go back to that Custom Window and Door shop still in business today. Since then the owner my friend for over 25 years has told me my way was the better way. Not that my way was the easier way, but it was safer and got the job done and he was wrong for trying to make us adapt to what he thought was the right way. I use this same approach in teaching anyone Mastercam my way is not the right way. My way is the way I have learned that works for me. I have seen with my own eyes what CNC Software does in trying to make the best software possible and they are the 1st ones to tell me they want it bug free and perfect. So know I ask this question again to everyone making parts. How many of your parts are 1000% perfect to the dimension called out on the print? All true position, all diameters, all threads all depths do not change or vary more than .00005" all 2d and 3d shapes are within .0001" profile? The 1st company using Mastercam that always and I mean without exception can show me that I will say get your stones and throw it at the glass house. We all make decisions we think are best and others will question just human nature, but would any of you think it acceptable if you gave it your best and really are doing your very best got always called into question would appreciate it? I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt I have never made any part I ever made perfect. That is what tolerance is thing it with being machinist I see it time and time gain the perfectionist mentality. I can say I have seen it because that is me in a nutshell trying to always be perfect. Thing I had to learn the hard way through life is I am not perfect and those bosses that want to see a return on their investment that claim they are not seeing it need to pull the heads out of the sand and see the awesome job most programmers are doing with Mastercam. Slow adopter or committed to it 100% adopter of the versions to me does not matter. I will ask anyone using the HS tool paths are you not doing it better and faster than you were 10 years ago. Anyone and I mean anyone that want to tell me V9 is still the best Version of the software I want to know where your company is going to be in 5 years. The industry is changing and trying to keep up with that change to me from what I can see is not hard.

My story funny how my perspective is thought as so foolish. I hate to even go here, but I have been with over 40 different Mastercam dealers nationality and in different countires. I have been in 14 different countries where Mastercam is used. I have programmed well over 200 different machine tools using Mastercam. I have personally run well over 75 different CNC machines using Mastercam from 2 axis lathes, all the way up to what is considered a 9 axis lathe, Milling machines from 3 axis to 6 axis. I have been able to do all do that thanks to Mastercam. I know 100's of business owners who are very happy Mastercam is their tool for programming machines. I like wise know 100's of Mastercam programmers who feed their families thanks to CNC Software making the product they do. I have fought and cussed and yelled at Mastercam my fair share, but I learned there are caring people on the other side of this screen who make it and do their very best to make it the world class software it is. Be upset be unhappy that is your God given right and I say Amen you care that much to point out problems. Thing is some people keep forgetting just like that .0001" difference from perfect you just did on a .01" tolerance your customer is coming back and telling you failed on when you know you did your best whether any of want to see it or not it is really the same thing. Granted some see the issues as 100000000000000000.000" over tolerance and not .001" but that is just human nature.

Yeah being on that side of the coin I know making software is not easy and want to get a headache sit down with some of the people that write the code have lunch or dinner with them like I have. My brain always hurts after a few minutes of how just brilliant these caring and doing their very they can people are. I took the time to get to know a lot of these people so sorry that rubs a lot of you the wrong way, but he is what I tell me kids when someone is picking on them or mean to them. Be their friend just keep being their friend. People who know me see I hate it when people are like this to me and some people are mean to me and hate what they call thin skin. I always do myt best to treat everyone with respect and care for them. Imagine is a lot of you were getting ripped daily apart about your jobs as the people are? Imagine the stress it would be for you if everyday a very well known board about your company had topic after topic after topic ripping you apart how it would fell. I again have my issues with things in Mastercam, but I work to help them see what they are and get them addressed. I did my share of complaining and been right where a lot of you are. I walk on both sides of the fence know helping develop Verisurf for almost 5 years. Meeting a lot of the behind the scenes people and humble to get to go to Tolland and spend time there when I can. I have always been welcomed well almost. :laughing:

I always thank Jim Gamble the dealer in Florida for my start in Mastercam. He came in and spent 4 hours making sure I could get my late job done and out the door. The 2 other CAM companies that came in did not care or want to help. I have heard of countless stories from customers like mine in my many different shows being in the Mastercam booth. Last Westec person wanted to argue how much X sucks and V9 is the bestproduct ever made. I just asked him how was that ability to undo and work with live levels helping him. How about dynamic rotation with the center mouse? How are those High Speed toolpaths helping your company stay competitive? What is your story for developing software what time have you taken to send something into QC and they did not respond or care? They do care and Rob and Ryan and Ruth and many others there do care thing is do you care to give them ability to help?

• Like 1

Nope been through Teck Soft, Gibbs, Surfcam, Catia, Pro E, Bob Cad, Fanuc Greko Box with what seems like records for Floppys, Conversational on many different controls for CAM. Pencil and Paper CAM with Macros and Loops for programming. I learn how to program from a book back in the mid 80's we did not have NC machines. Tandy 286mhz with 4mb of memory was my 1st computer to write code on when I was 11. AutoCad, Inventor, Solidworks, CATIA, PRO-E and other software for CAD. A day or two with Mastercam and always open to learn anything new. Thing is I can afford Mastercam not the case with CATIA or NX are not something an Independent can afford on their own. One complete full seat is more than I make in a awesome year. The maintenance for one seat would also require me to charge $200/hr for programming. People get their feelings hurt at my current rate imagine if I came in with that rate? Have been there and done that enough in all others software to tell you they are better or worse nope. Notice I never say this software sucks. I always say what I can do and thing is if I can get it done then I get it done. Thing is I am a doer and get it one type of person. I may scream and yell and get red faced fighting through issues, but I keep trying and get it done even if that means 18 hour days for 40 hours straight. I have worked in over 40 different shops since I was 14. The longest Job I have had is my contract programming job of 13 years. 1 day at one company one week 1 month at a few. 3 months to 9 months for about 20 jobs over about a 5 year period. I voice my opinion, work hard to do my job, do more than my job and not a yes man. I expect to be treated with respect and give it back equally. I former owner said I am like grabbing a tiger by the tail. That can be seen in a good way or a bad way. Everyone is different thing is I am who I am. I cannot be something I am not. I have been called every name in the book being a boss, I have had someone going to kill me for firing them for stealing form the company. I have been in screaming matches in the middle of the shop and in offices. I have been called a racist because I have a problem with Latino people(Person forgot I am married to a Latino and my kids are half Latino before saying that). I am not perfect and the first person to admit my faults. I follow Jesus Christ and tell no one to follow me I am just me no one special. I am very glad to even type this seeing how I should have died again for the 5th time earlier this year, but by the grace of my savior I am here.

Think just think and walk in those shoes you are slamming and carry that load and then tell me it is an easy load to carry. Then will shut my mouth and tell you you are 100% correct, but I see the load and I see the path and I can say not as easy a load and path to be on as many of you may think. I am off to Carson City Nevada to earn a living doing some contract work. Have a great day and I will check back in to get slammed some more. Again I have learned to be okay with that too kind of comes with the load I carry.

I remember using Teksoft Cad/Cam over 20 years ago, and getting a new 5 1/4" floppy with "bug fixes" every week...I too, thank the people at CNC for their hard work. It is much appreciated here.

TekSoft was one of my first as well. I dropped them after they put out a really bad release

TekSoft98 I believe.

Doing a lathe threading toolpath resulting in an instant zero byte file.

Reordering operations gave you an instant zero byte file.

Looking at it sideways resulted in an instant zero byte file.

After putting up with this for about 8 months I got a post card announcing a downloadable update

40 meg!!! on a 15K modem with a teenage daughter in the house... The download proved impossible.

After trying for a couple of weeks I called and asked if they would mail me discs.. they said no

I offered to pay for the discs and mailing expenses.. they said no.

A couple of days later I got a postcard from Cad Cam Consulting, inviting me to a V8 rollout event.

I took a day off work and attended the event.. and I've been a Mastercam user ever since.

• Like 1