Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Space Claim Software

tline

I have been programming on Mastercam since 1994 and have done all my fixtures and construction GEO using Mastecam. Our Company is thinking of bringing in a software called Space Claim to reduce the time we are constructing on the computer. I have to admit that the presentation was impresive has anyone out there used it and is it fully compatable with Mastercam.

I was able to get a 2 week demo. Nice software. Gives NX's synchronous modeling a run for it's money. But because we already have 3 seats of NX and 2 seats of SW the management staff here chose not to go with it. :thumbdown:

Get a 2 week demo. All the training is online via webinars and videos. Training was straight forward. Good luck!

I'm interested in buying a seat for myself as I don't think I'll get the powers here to buy it.

You say its good at GD&T and that was one of my big questions. I'd like to export a cut model (stl) out of mastercam into space claim and lay some dimensions on it. Like corners, hole diameters, etc.. is it good at this?

I have used it off and on for about a year now and I tell you what, its great for quick fixes and building tooling in a hurry. it also repairs dirty models quite well. I've had to fix several models from customers prior to machining them. I don't believe I could have done it without the software. For someone like me that is learning this stuff as I go, it's nice to work with. Loads parts to and from Mastercam with the click of a button.

I have worked with SpaceClaim for over a year now and I like it more and more the longer I use it. SpaceClaim doesn't need constraints to build solids and it is very easy to learn. The average user just needs a couple of days of the abundant tutorials to be up and running with the software. I primarily use it to unfold models and to repair corrupted models supplied to us from our customers.

In regards to pricing, it is very inexpensive. Depending on if you get the CATIA translator, other translators, or a floating license the price ranges from around $3,000 - $6,000 per seat including the required 1st year maintenance package. After the 1st year you have to option to drop the maintenance. The Floating network license costs about an extra $1,000 but isn't locked to a single computer. Each license includes a home version download so that the user can learn the software at home as well. These prices are as of the time of this posting and my personal experience. I bought the network license without the extra translators since we already have CATIA and we only need stp, igs, and stl models. I paid $3,355 for the floating license with $1,115 for the floating subscription service.

The support is fantastic and my questions are not only answered but I get a video demonstrating how they solved the problem. My reseller came to our location and trained the programming staff at no charge as well. Compared to other modeling software it's a pretty simple decision. The hardest part of the software was learning that I don't have to establish constraints and relationships to build my models. It's a dumb solid modeler that is perfect for us Mastercam users that just need something to drive toolpath against. Just slap in a basic shape and start pushing and pulling until you have what you need in record time. When I have a dirty model I just click a button and it shows all of the problem areas, I can click another button to fix them all or just fix individual portions of it.

I hope that this helps people with the software. It doesn't replace SolidWorks or CATIA by any means when it comes to creating models that have mass and properties for engineering purposes, but it's a life saver when you need to make a flat pattern, tooling, or models for toolpath.

• Like 2