Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Let's discuss tool management

I am curious what others are doing for tool management

Right now I have a cabinet of tools in plastic bins, suffice to say it ain't working.....

So I am starting to explore ideas, first off, for the size of our shop, a tool inventory kiosk is not in the plans, so I need to other ideas......

Things I am considering

1.) An excel spreadsheet listing all tools and order #'s, instituting a tool sign out slip......very manual operation

2.) An access database where the tool is "requisitioned" and then physically taken, counts accurate so long as process is adhered to by all.

3.) Post on emastercam.com and see what others are doing......

we are looking at having our tooling supply company supply cabinets and they are going to come in every week and do inventory and place an order for what we have used from it. like you we have little plastic bin in an unlocked cabinet on the floor and it is not working at all. we never have any tools when need it. I will be following this to see what other are doing.

The machinists here all hoard cutters in there tool boxes. I do not suggest this approach. lol

If you cannot dedicate a person as tool crib, tool assy, tool presetter person to track this I would

put your tool cabinet next to someone that can track that tools are being checked in out. nothing fancy just a fill in list to say what is taken out then have a return box.

once a week pull a burr person to put tools back in and check them into return sheet.

then submit to secretary to enter into network spread sheet available to your programmers.

been in many shops and this is always a challenge and black hole of big money.

Doug

I track tooling through an access database. We keep our tooling in a locked Lista cabinet which has the drawers arranged so each different type of tool has its own location.

Only designated people have keys to the tooling cabinet. When a setup / operator needs tools they see one of the guys with a key.. this minimizes unnecessary tool replacement, hoarding etc.

Also this way people don't run the cabinet out of tooling without anyone that can order more knowing about it.

Drawers are labeled by letter and each location within the drawer designated by number. Based on this Tools are assigned a location like A-10, B-22 etc..

Since all the tools are in an access database which includes all the information about each tool like Manufacturer, Tool type, EDP#, Diameter, Overall Length, Flute Length, Radius, Location, etc., etc. its easy to create a report which lists all End Mills, Bull Mills, Ball Mills etc..

Additionally I have another report which lists all tools by location.

About once a week I print out the report which lists all tools by location and then go through the drawers of the cabinet and note what tooling needs to be restocked.. then I just order whats needed to maintain stock on those items.

Its not perfect but it works pretty well for our needs and allows me to manage all our tooling needs with very limited time expended on it .. currently we stock around 300 different types of tools using this method and we have reduced delays in getting jobs running and red charges for shipping. We also have our high volume tools in autocribs which are stocked on consignement by our main tool supplier.. however to be honest I prefer having them in our cabinet since we tend to have more stock outs in the autocribs than in our cabinet using the method outlined above.

• Like 1

A good idea to prevent outages of tools is to place a few reserved tools in a sealed bag in each location with a tag stapled to it. When the inventory gets low the operator will have to open the bag and remove the tag. Then give the tags to whoever orders tools. This method gives them a physical reminder that the stock is low and needs to be re-ordered.

• Like 1

I use a Kennedy box with dividers in it. The tools have been organized by drills, reamers, chamfer tools, end mills, ect....Each individual bin has a manufactures number tool discription and a min max on it. The min tells the machininst when to turn in a req. for more of that tool and the quantity needed to bring it back to max. I go through the box weekly with the local tool rep to insure nothing has fallen through the cracks.

Look to your local tool supplier and see if they will do the kiosk for you. I had it arranged with one that we only paid for what we used. The most common and heavily used items could be part of that then you could do something different. Yes I read your requirement and non requirements, but good thing they are the bank for the tooling and not you. Always have what you need to the common items to pull from and then it allows to work and worry on the small not needed as much items.

As Ron says - this works well as you'll never run out. Previous place had a tool company put them (2) in.

BUT the problem is controlling it as in my experience, the guys on the machines then start every job with a new shiny cutter and their toolboxes get more and more filled up with good tools which may have only been used once...

For repeat jobs we have job packs/bags which have all the special tools in it (ie form cutters or tools with rads). Std size cutters, drills, taps, spot/chamfer tools are not in it, and a few common ones are left in holders in racks.

All other tooling is in steel trays/racking marked up by size.

This works very well but there are only a few of us so it can be controlled...

I think the key thing (where possible) is standardisation. We through out all different makes of facemills and standardised on all one make for ally (with only a couple of insert sizes through the range) and the same with steel facemills.

That said if we start doing exotics, we'd obviously need specifics but you get 'meh drift.

Newbee I never hired someone who had a box load of tools like that. I also went once a month to checked every employees toolbox's as a boss. It is a matter of accountability not so much trust. The tools need to be turned into once a new one is pulled from the system. If 10 tools are pulled from the system then 10 tools need to be put in the resharpen or scrap box. Locks are not for there for thieves they are meant to keep honest people honest. Accountability is the way to make a system like this work. Incentives to push and maximize have always been things I have seen to motivate and inspire people to not do this type of behavior. Never going to solve those that do not get it, but when you finally have to let the person fire them self for that behavior you can say you did all you could to prevent them from firing themselves. I never fired anyone they always fired themselves.

I have a vending machine coming at the end of October even for our small shop. Only 40 bucks a month, and the inserts/bits is on consignment. They will stock it for me, I set minimum quantities, I get e-mail reports of who took what and when. Worth 40 bucks a month to me.

I'm getting the fast 4000CT

http://www.fastenal.com/web/en/105/fast-4000ct-and-fast-2000ct

I'm definitely interested in the same sort of system here.

Having problems with operators not using the trigger points in the system to submit requisitions for replacement tools. I usually find out when I go to kit new work and find there isn't anything in stock. Hasn't been helped that a good portion of our current tools are being phased out by the manufacturer for who knows what new grades that may or may not yield the performance I'm expecting.

Haven't played with Access in over a decade, maybe it will prove to be a worthwhile option. Currently I'm just trying to wrap my head around using a Pivot Table to show the owner how poorly our shop floor is running.

ya we have a robocrib here and i would hate to be without it. They stock all the tools we want and the best part is we don't pay for tools untill they get pulled from the machine. We have a whole "Roughing" endmill area where they are stored afterwards. We don't have problems with hording of tools, but we also have an incentive program here so everyone is usally on board with the "program."

Get one and never look back!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

New here and saw this post so I just wanted to jump in and give my 2-cents. :thumbsup:

For the pass ten years, or so, I have been over our Tool Room here and had to keep up with and track over 3,000 items. Here we use a Kennametal Tool Program that they got with us on that works great. I can keep up with any tool coming or going, and alot more! It also lets me know when a tool needs to be reordered and keeps a record of everything that goes on in the program! Most any tool vender may ofter a tool program that might fit your need. Well thats my 2-cents, hope it might help! :huh:

• 1 month later...

We have a MSC tool crib system but the reports go to our office manager/secretary who has no idea what anything means so she waits until someone comes up and asks for tooling. That usually means we are out, I can't tell you how many times I've gone to get common tools for us and found the drawers empty. What ever system you choose is only as good as the people maintaining it. We were better off when our lead programmer ordered the tools because he at least had an idea of what we were using and who had it last.