Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Coolant

Nominal

We have several coolant related threads here in the knowledge base.

The single largest contributing factor to sump life is to keep the coolant sump clean of chips, sludge, dirt, grime, and biologicals. A disc skimmer to keep the tramp oils off the top of the coolant will save disposal costs as well. For $200 that will be one of the better investments you can make. (just think if you can avaoid one recharge of the coolant tank how much that would cost...)

Coolants are a commodity item and they each will spin things their own way - it is the process that they are in and how they are maintained that will determine their life. Machining Nodular Iron will foul coolant quicker than Machining Stainless - so wade thru the speculation of cooant slaesmen - I used to be one...

[ 10-10-2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

We're using Castrol Safety Cool 995. The horizontals hold about 300 gals. The coolant I belive might be all synthetic, so no foul smell at all. We drain the machines once a year just to clean them thoroughly.

I see you're in CT also... We buy it from K.B. Page(413)737-3912 @ about $650 per 55 gal. drum. Good stuff.

Rob

Hamikut 9124-HD coolant.

Grotan Biocide

Keller #351 skimmer

Purgital cleaner

I add about 6oz of Grotan / week to control bugs in 45 gal sump. Vacuum oil out of skimmer weekly, and add enough purgitol to keep things from getting greasy feeling. I just add water 60% of the time to make up lost volume, and fortify the make up with a stout coolant mix as required. Machining stainless and Ti, coolant is lasting >1 year with NO odor. I think the skimmer is a key to coolant life by preventing the suffocating oil layer. Last place I worked stunk worse than Bubba's gym socks. Here, I had the coolant skimmer going from day 1 and there is no smell at all.

We're using the product Blasercut by Swisslube in all are CNC's with good results.

I should of added, we have skimmers setup on timers to run on off shifts. And fish aquairm (sp)

bubblers to add oxygen. We recharge the coolant tanks with new every year reguardless.

We use The Cooler by Spartan in all our mills to cut Aluminum. Has a nice smell, cuts nice and stays decent for a while. we suck the top oil layer off in Mon A.M. We use a shop-vac, which if you do it right sucks the oil globs off nicely without taking much good coolant at all. Doesn't foam much either. We do aluminum mold work though with little large part count runs.

Tim

We have always used Trim-Sol, we machine mainly 356 and 319 aluminum cast alloys. We went through a lot of trials to extend coolant life and the one thing that made a huge difference is using ultra pure water. Bacteria will grow on minerals in the water, the harder the water, the more bacteria, more smell. We had US Filter install water pureification systems to produce dionized water for mixing with the Trim-sol.

We also installed 10 micron filters on all water based coolant machines (50 micron for oil). This eliminated aluminum fines from contaminating the coolant. This also improved tool life, we found the hi-pressure and standard coolant systems were flooding the cut zone with coolant with suspended fines. Oil skimmers on all water based coolant machined is a must. Our coolant purshases are a mere fraction of what they were before these changes, It sounds expensive, but the system had a very short payback.

On a side note, we also purchased a splitter to seperate the oil and water from the old coolant, this saved money on disposal cost.

Good luck,

Mark Monica

quote:

What coolant do you find lasts the longest before it becomes foul?

_________________________________________________-

air blast seems to hold up the best biggrin.gif

seriously tho we use chemsafe 39339,mixed at 5%.this holds up really well .we mostly cut h-13,s-7,and p-20.if you are milling alot of exotics or alluminum not sure how it will do.

trevor

quote:

air blast seems to hold up the best

Very true. With the tools and coatings these days being as good as they are, air is the choice for milling (stainless in here). The biggest reason for using coolant in here is mostly for chip evacuation.

Rob

Sump Cleanlyness and keeping the coolant free of contaminents. Our plant isn't the best for this either as our excange cycle is quite high...

As far as Grotan - no alternatives but to change out the coolant I'm afraid... If you haven't had any problems related to it then I guess you are using it the way it should be. My experience is based on a misapplication and in order to remove the potential failure from happening again, we stopped using the stuff.

[ 10-10-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

I know I am hijacking but it is related to the coolant subject. I am interesred in what kind of skimmers you guys use as well? We had one that was flat disk that turned in the coolant then a wiper removed the oil from it. But it removed more coolant than oil. I use Valcool VNT 650 and it has worked well for the miling I do. As long as we keep on top of the trap oil it does not go rancid.