Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mori vs Mazak

FROZEN

Guest MTB Technical Services

Looking for anyone's opinion of multi tasking lathes. How's is Mori's service and parts. I have had trouble with Mazak's parts and service. Any thing would help.

Both machines are of comparable quality.

The difference is service.

I will echo the complaints about Mazak service down here is TX as well.

In my dealings with Ellison, I have found their Apps guys to be very helpful, especial when needing models for simulation.

Mazak comes with a million parameters and no two machines are ever configured the same so getting

a working post can be difficult because there are more parameters than Carter has little liver pills.

It's almost as if they have a random PLC and parameter generator.

That said, if you need synchronization, you need the new Mastercam Mill/Turn or a competing product.

I don't know where the Mastercam Mill/Turn product stands now for supporting specific machine models.

However, I do know that CrazyMillMan worked directly with CNC on the first models.

Mori is now bundling GibbsCAM with their machines.

Evidently both DP and Mori decided not to renew their arrangement.

Guest MTB Technical Services

I just got a quote for NTX2000 with espirt.

Must be non-exclusive now.

I just saw the press-release in one of the trade publications.

I may have misspoken.

http://www.mfgnewsweb.com/archives/4/2309/General-jul14/GibbsCAM-Approved-for-DMG-MORI-Machines.aspx

It appears that Gibbs and Mori are working even more closely together on the MORi-APT implementation.

The last time I checked, ESPRIT didn't support MORI-APT.

Just an FYI on ESPRIT for Mori.

Mori totally controls the ESPRIT post and forces you to use their Add-In application for ESPRIT to drive the process and work flow.

If you want post modifications, be prepared for a very long process to get that accomplished.

Mori and Gibbs' relationship goes WAY back to the early/mid-90's. They have not done much lately but seems like they are rekindling the romance. Perhaps to keep Esprit honest. You used to get a seat of Gibbs when you purchased a.... oh man.... it's been so long I can't remember the models... I'll remember eventually. I just know it was a pretty stripped down version of software and it came with no support. We AE's were supposed to learn it and train the customers.

Looking for anyone's opinion of multi tasking lathes. How's is Mori's service and parts. I have had trouble with Mazak's parts and service. Any thing would help.

I can't speak about Okuma or Mori but we had 11 Mazaks including 2 MTM machines at my last job. I hate dealing with Mazak service. I or one of the other engineers had done all the service on these machines for the last five years since a very bad experience with service after a fairly bad crash in one of the MT machines. After an operator realigned the turret with the spinning chuck, We called for a tech and by the time they got us one we had been down for over a week. He didn't have the parts we needed (even though we had given him advanced details of our problem) and we had them overnighted from Kentucky. The next day when the parts show up we find out that he was on another job and that he wouldn’t get back to us until the next day. After all was said and done that machine was down for over10 days. That said, on the lathes at least, I really like Mazatrol but I find it maddening that ability to run standard G-code is an option. When we bought an SQT250MSY used, Mazak wanted over $3K to send a tech out to turn on the parameter that would allow EIA (Fusion 640 control). I don’t know if this is still the way with their new machines but all this adds up to a very bad taste in my mouth for Mazak.

Serious questions for you, have you looked into Okuma? We have quite a few customers in Mankato and south of the cities that will attest to the quality of our service department. We just finished install of an LB3000EX-MYW in Mankato yesterday and will be training all next week.

I echo the Okuma sentiments posted previously.

Worldwide, Okuma service is rock solid.

I keep hearing that, but it's not the case here. As it is they are losing big potential sales...people that worked here and experienced their bad service don't want anything to do with them in new places...

• Like 1

I keep hearing that, but it's not the case here. As it is they are losing big potential sales...people that worked here and experienced their bad service don't want anything to do with them in new places...

Mark, Is your Okuma service experience mainly concerning the difficulties you have had with the 800VH, or do you have other Okuma OSP machines that you have had difficulties with? I ask because unfortunately That 800VH is such a rare machine that there is very little knowledge base among the dealers to be able help you. I wish I could help you but it's not my territory and never having touched that machine I don't know if I could resolve your issues. 

Yes they do suck especially in that area. I know a guy that does freelance work. very knowledge able with Mazak. Can't remember his name tho! sent an e-mail to my friend

will let you know if or when he gets back to me.