Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stinky Coolant Real bad !!

ERIC14779

We have two Haas machines that originally had Trim-Sol coolant in them.

Now we are using Blaser Swiss-Lube, and they stink like rotten fish...

We emptied out the system, and flushed with Bleach water for several hrs.

Drained & cleaned the sumps, mixed up a fresh batch of coolant ( at the proper concentration )

we use a refractometer to set the concentration.

In no time the machines stunk to high heaven again...

Anybody ever have this happen ???

We have Blaser, that's all we use in our 21 CNC machines.  It will start stinking if you have oil in it and let it sit too long, The tramp oil floats to the top and traps all the gas from the bacteria; as soon as you mix it up all that gas comes out. The key is aeration. Feed an air line into your tank with a small brass muffler on the end and let it keep bubbling away.

if its a vertical haas , could be you have residual oil and compacted chips like a brick under the waycovers and your not getting all the bacteria out and its getting back in thru that drain tube that comes out from the back of the saddle

We used Blaser Swiss-Lube for the past seven years and It always smelled like crap.  As soon as a machine would sit for any period of time the coolant would start to smell. I think it has something to do with bacteria forming in the coolant because the oil that settles on the top cuts off the air supply to the coolant. Our solution was to switch to Hankserfers.  It never smells and is a much better coolant in my opinion.

A couple of things here:

The Haas manual says no mineral oil based coolant. It eats up the seals.

I use Trim-sol E206. NO Issues here. Its changed out every year in both machines. I personally can NOT USE Full -Syn coolant.

The lube oil has changed for the Haas machines. Its now Mobil SHC 625. They were finding rust on a lot of machines that are run hard and only serviced when they broke down. Ways and ball screws mainly. This oil is supposed to take care of that. Its not cheap !

Blazer is known for smelling. YOU have to change it  out more often, use a skimmer, ...ect.

Machineguy

Guest MTB Technical Services

Add an aerator from a large Aquarium to your coolant tanks.

The bacteria causing the odor is anaerobic meaning that it thrives without oxygen.

Oxygenated water will keep the coolant from going bad.

• Like 1

^^^ I did the same thing. I think I got better coolant pressure also.

My Blaser was going bad. I mixed up a fresh batch on Friday, came in on Monday and there were nasty green streaks in it and it was already starting to smell. Everything in the machine was clean I think my stuff was just sitting around for too long.