Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verdict on X8?

Bob W.

I see that X8 has been released. In the past I have never installed a new release until MU1 has been released, sometimes later. X8 seems to have gone through a much more rigorous development process with public beta, etc... Is is stable? Should I install the initial release? Do the new features give a good performance enhancement?

In the past I have never installed a new release until MU1 has been released, sometimes later. X8 seems to have gone through a much more rigorous development process with public beta

I did the same bob.but since its been out in the public beta and heard good things about it.i installed the public release

right away and so far its been good.the only issue I have ,and I know you use vericut so for you it doesn't matter,but my machine

simulation is behaving a little weird.i already contacted shopware about this issue just waiting to hear from them.

The most significant issue I had early on (but not since PC1) was I had to use task manager to shut it down. Since PC1, that seems to not be a problem anymore. Been real stable even early on.

I agree.

I TAKE IT BACK X8 JUST TOOK A S#$% ON ME NOTHING WORKS. BEWARE. It opens and doesn't respond. Doesn't matter what I do, can't close it without using task manager. X7 works fine. Thought it was  

the invida driver. Downloaded newest, Not!. Never seen this before.

I TAKE IT BACK X8 JUST TOOK A S#$% ON ME NOTHING WORKS. BEWARE. It opens and doesn't respond. Doesn't matter what I do, can't close it without using task manager. X7 works fine. Thought it was  

the invida driver. Downloaded newest, Not!. Never seen this before.

try turning off Customer Feedback

• Like 1

Exactly. Turn it off. If it locks up and you can't access the dropdown, disconnect your computer from the internet. It will free itself up. I just had this happen to me.

It happened to me once before in X7 and I lost a day of work trying to figure out WTF was going on. When it happened just now, that was the first thing I tried and it fixed right away.

Exactly. Turn it off. If it locks up and you can't access the dropdown, disconnect your computer from the internet. It will free itself up. I just had this happen to me.

It happened to me once before in X7 and I lost a day of work trying to figure out WTF was going on. When it happened just now, that was the first thing I tried and it fixed right away.

Thanks Cathedral and Gcode.  So much for CNC's feed back program. What really gets me Cathedral, how did you only lose a day. Must of took someone a long time to figure this one out. :cheers:

Thanks Cathedral and Gcode.  So much for CNC's feed back program. What really gets me Cathedral, how did you only lose a day. Must of took someone a long time to figure this one out. :cheers:

I had to figure it out myself. I wasn't on any forum at the time. I sat in front of the computer saying, "WHAT THE HELL CHANGED BETWEEN YESTERDAY AND TODAY TO MAKE THIS RUN SO SHIDDY?!"

I must have restarted the computer twenty times; checked the registry for added programs, checked the terminal server, checked for corruption of files, checked my hard drive for corruption, and after pulling out most of my hairs confirming to myself that I CHANGED NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! I turned the feedback option off on a whim and bang, it worked.

My reseller got an earload after that day.

I had to figure it out myself. I wasn't on any forum at the time. I sat in front of the computer saying, "WHAT THE HELL CHANGED BETWEEN YESTERDAY AND TODAY TO MAKE THIS RUN SO SHIDDY?!"

I must have restarted the computer twenty times; checked the registry for added programs, checked the terminal server, checked for corruption of files, checked my hard drive for corruption, and after pulling out most of my hairs confirming to myself that I CHANGED NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! I turned the feedback option off on a whim and bang, it worked.

My reseller got an earload after that day.

There was a discussion about this on the Mcam forum,...

Bob, have you given mcfsw a spin yet?

Not yet, haven't had the time. I am still noodling over whether the benefits are worth the cost. I would be purchasing Solidworks and the Mastercam functionality which is a chunk of change after all is said and done. Then there is the concern that someday the two (CNC Software and Solidworks) could part ways and leave me with a decision to make... Either stop paying maintenance and not upgrade Solidworks and Mastercam, or keep upgrading Mastercam and lose all of the files that were created within Solidworks. Those can't be opened in stand alone Mastercam... It has the potential to completely turn a business upside down if 80% of their files are in Mastercam for Solidworks and they stop working together (aka VOLUMILL).

Not yet, haven't had the time. I am still noodling over whether the benefits are worth the cost. I would be purchasing Solidworks and the Mastercam functionality which is a chunk of change after all is said and done. Then there is the concern that someday the two (CNC Software and Solidworks) could part ways and leave me with a decision to make... Either stop paying maintenance and not upgrade Solidworks and Mastercam, or keep upgrading Mastercam and lose all of the files that were created within Solidworks. Those can't be opened in stand alone Mastercam... It has the potential to completely turn a business upside down if 80% of their files are in Mastercam for Solidworks and they stop working together (aka VOLUMILL).

I hear you.

I've just accepted that I will get screwed on the software again in the future. When I have the time to learn something completely new I will.

^  Some times its a good thing to keep all your Important files in a Neutral file format  that can be used in any software  even though it may be a P I T A   but as you look into the future you never know when a software company decides to give up the ship and say bye bye .

SO CYA    and be done with it . It may save your bacon.

:coffee:

couple whys:

1. why in tool manager mouse mid button + alt is steal dynamic pan, but in mastercam

is changed to mid button + shift?

2. why in tool manager I can not activate dynamic tool projection ruler?

3. why in mastercam, when I start new file, mastercam is not link to default 

material library set in configuration file?

Question for Bob W:

"...lose all of the files that were created within Solidworks. Those can't be opened in stand alone Mastercam..."

Not sure I understand... SLDPRTs and SLDASMs that have MCforSW toolpath data in them can be opened into Mastercam - and the toolpaths, tools, planes, etc will all be there.

Is that the scenario that you're referring to?