Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Power Outage- Scrapped Parts

cincy k

How does everyone deal with power outages? I have 3 verticals and when the power surges or fails for even a split second the Z axis drops 30-40 thou. How do you deal with this issue? It seems there are some pretty high end parts being machined by folks here and I can't imagine not having a way to deal with this.

Thanks.

It happens all the time around here. The mills just go down but we have one old Mazak lathe that will drift in Z until it hits the chuck. No way to stop it either just stand back and hold your ears.

My Fadal won't even shut off for a spike, it's like it has it's own power supply LOL. I have seen like a 1.5 second outage that killed everything in the building including the compressor and the computer systems... the fadal kept on running.

I don't have any verticals anymore but when I did my Matsuura vmc's did not do this. I had a friend that used to run a shop near by that had two newer Haas vmc's. The first one he bought had this problem, when he complained they gave him the option to install something for about $1500-2500 or so that would prevent this, no idea what it was unfortunately.

I do know that the robot on my mazak lathe will drop about a .375" or so when it loses power.

I've seen on the Hass machine build-up that they have an early power failure detect function. I'm not sure how it works though. I recall some similar function on a Mori NH from 07 that I ran. Don't remember having used it to see how well it functioned. I know of a very large high-end shop locally that installed some sort of battery backup system for some large Makinos they have. I'm trying to get some more info on it. I'm sure it's well beyond what I could afford.

I didn't even think about the insurance thing. That is why you have insurance isn't it.   

We had insurance specifically for power cuts.  There was a time when the industrial park we were in was under a lot of construction and power cuts were frequent, sometimes for hours.  P-100 was the code on our time sheet so accounting new when to claim those hours under insurance.

My Fadal won't even shut off for a spike, it's like it has it's own power supply LOL. I have seen like a 1.5 second outage that killed everything in the building including the compressor and the computer systems... the fadal kept on running.

Take *that*, you Fadal bashers! :laughing::clap:

• Like 1

we have the same problem here, we were told to look into surge protectors on the incoming power plus each machine. it will be worth it in the long run. the last spike took the drive out of my vdf lathe, by the time we found someone to replace the drive and get the machine up and run we were into $20000. 

All of our verticals will drop in the z a bit and free wheel for several minutes, which--if the drop didn't destroy the tool or part--burns it up pretty nice.

We lose power maybe, maybe, once a year. I don't know what it is but when they wired this area they prepared it for Armageddon. It seems the only kink in the infrastructure is when a drunk driver smashes into a pole.