Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Renishaw Probe Wanted

POSEIDON 5-AXIS

Maybe we just haven't seen the corrosion because we never keep a tool long enough to corrode. The operators destroy them all before that can happen. el-oh-flippin-el. :wallbash:

:(

What a drag.

I worked in a shop once that EVERY SINGLE ER16 holder was split... ON BOTH SIDES! :o Buncha damn Neanderthals put a cheater bar on EVERYTHING. I only stayed a month at that craphole.

The corrosion post-scotchbriting could have been a form of "micro" crevice corrosion. Minute scratches leaving deposits from something on the scotchbrite pad.

The funny thing is I was working for the last hour (yeh yeh yeh :rolleyes: ) and was thinking about this and that I wonder if the manufacturers passivate the holders after grinding?

So there's no impurities etc which stops any galvanics or crevice corrosion as you suggest.

Scotchbright (used) would have all sorts of different materials embedded within it.

(possibly) great minds think alike :hrhr:

Maybe we just haven't seen the corrosion because we never keep a tool long enough to corrode. The operators destroy them all before that can happen. el-oh-flippin-el. :wallbash:

I worked in a place that treated every machine tool the same way. Every one of the machines had been crashed repeatedly. So much that we joked that the test bar should be registered in the magazine as a fixed tool..

Kevin, my partner in crime told me a story about a shop he worked at once.  There was a machine operator/ programmer that repeatedly crashed the machines and one day he was mounting a vise to the mill table with bolts and strap clamps cranked down so tight they were bowing in the middle.  When asked why he wanted it so tight his response was "I don't want it to move it if I crash the spindle into it."  I almost fell out of my chair I laughed so hard.

• Like 1

Kevin, my partner in crime told me a story about a shop he worked at once.  There was a machine operator/ programmer that repeatedly crashed the machines and one day he was mounting a vise to the mill table with bolts and strap clamps cranked down so tight they were bowing in the middle.  When asked why he wanted it so tight his response was "I don't want it to move it if I crash the spindle into it."  I almost fell out of my chair I laughed so hard.

:yes:

No school like the old school.

:yes:

:rofl:

Yeah the crappiest one out there. Full of trolls and malcontents. :unworthy: :unworthy:

I'll take this group of vandals, miscreants, and overall brood of vipers over any other vermin infestation or forum out there. :yes: Many people whom I can call friends I met here. :cheers:

Well, now that took a turn for the best especially after I opened it up for not the best.

Says a lot about the character of active members.

I wouldn't have joined if I didn't think I could learn and hopefully help others along the way. My post was intended to help and bring a few things to mind after all.

I don't know if tool holder manufactures passivate or not. Maybe some of the reputable more expensive ones do. I only have a few stainless holders any way.

That's good thoughts on accelerated corrosion. I've never thought of scotch brite beyond pitching it in the can. In my mind I've always associated accelerated corrosion with low quality holders or low concentration coolant. More directly with low coolant concentration.

I have a few habits and train operators to do a few simple things every time... whether it gets done or not is hard to say. When I do run a machine every time I pull a tool I wipe and oil the taper and check the retention knob.

So, does any one else have a probe laying around for him?

Well, apparently I have sinned against the perfect Internet gods. I knew better than to say anything but thought since probes were brought up I'd throw in what I see neglected so often, actually every where I've ever worked. apparently gently cleaning the flaky crap some coolants leave with ultrafine scotch Brite is just insane And drastically affects the gage line of the tool holder Within seconds. Maybe I should've added "gently" to that The first time. Apparently the simple use of scotch Brite means you're bearing down on it with a side grinder. Good lord. Now apparently I said sand paper.

it's served me well for 15 years but I guess a good clean shop towel and brake cleaner is the answer to a badly neglected tool holder. Guess no one's ever noticed how freaking hard you have to work with scotch Brite to actually alter the surface of a hardened tool holder or maybe I'm the only person ever to have to clean one good.

How about offering suggestions along with the criticism... or do you just want to poke and not admit you do it too? I do know how fun it is to jump on some one when every one else is. Or at least say why you think ultrafine scotch brite is so bad for a holder taper any way.

No wonder this forum has such a bad wrap on so many other forums and among users on other cam software forums.

Lighten up, Francis.

I know that guy....His reputation lives to this day. 8 clamps (4 down each side) on a 8" kurt vise. I wish I had pics of it......

• Like 1

No school like the old school. 

More like the school of hard knocks.

Scotchbrighting will put micro-scratches in the surface which will increase the surface area.  Polished surfaces are more corrosion resistant even when the chemistry is identical.  That's the main reason high quality medieval armor was polished.  Low quality was blackened, though some fancy stuff had patterns of polished and blackened.

I know that guy....His reputation lives to this day. 8 clamps (4 down each side) on a 8" kurt vise. I wish I had pics of it......

What make me smile about rigidity and stuff is if you pull back the covers on a VMC and look at the linear rails and the trucks that run on them.

The trucks are only bolted to the machine casting with 4x cap heads per truck, and usually M8 ones at that (with no dowels).

So on a 30" VMC on the Y you'll have 2x rails so 4 trucks so 16 cap heads holding itself plus the weight of the X  casting and table and vices shooting around at high rapids.

Makes 4 clamps on a vice seem overkill...

• Like 1

What make me smile about rigidity and stuff is if you pull back the covers on a VMC and look at the linear rails and the trucks that run on them.

The trucks are only bolted to the machine casting with 4x cap heads per truck, and usually M8 ones at that (with no dowels).

So on a 30" VMC on the Y you'll have 2x rails so 4 trucks so 16 cap heads holding itself plus the weight of the X  casting and table and vices shooting around at high rapids.

Now imagine that my 15'Y, 10'X, 6'Z, holds a 6' Z column, a large enough spindle to run 25k RPMs, and still only sits on 2 trails, 4 trucks total with 4 bolts each, so 16 bolts holding that entire thing together 

=P I feel your pain! 

Not to mention some machines have the entire spindle attached to the ballscrew by one single M6 screw on a collar. That's how our Daewoo DMV4020's are. Loosen up that bolt and vwooop! the spindle drops to the table in a split second. I know that has zero effect on rigidity but if you're worried about crashing, screwing up the Z would be the biggest concern.