Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hey Guys,

We bought our third NH4000DCG about 6 months ago. The machine has had a few more problems then we'd expect to see. The one big issue I noticed was the pallet was 4 times harder to spin in the load station. I called a tech in and after some convincing he took apart the bearing plate and we discovered Mori decided to "redesign" bearing that the pallet rotates on and instead of a large metal roller bearing instead used two 0.06"thick 3"dia plastic washers with grease between them. I kid you not. 880lb capacity on two pieces of plastic with grease.....

Problem is this machine was bought to run a 3min cycle 24 hrs a day. Operators are getting worn out.

Anybody else have Mori issues? This is the first one we've bought with the Mori/DMG label on the side. It might just be the last Mori we buy.

Josh-

THe Mori of today is NOT the company the old man and his brothers built. The company where Mr. Mori himself signed off on every single technical (service, applications, and management) hire world-wide. A company where a top quality machine tool was priority #1. That philosophy remained up until the mid-2000's. There's so many SL (1 and 2 digit) lathes that to this day are still holding .000x's all day long every day. Those machines were built to service generations. Now... not so much. It's about the show, the market share, the appearances, the bells and whistles, or the bling and the machine tool takes a back seat. And now... the Mori Seiki name is dead. Along with it a proud tradition. It's a shame really.

JM2CFWIW

Guest MTB Technical Services

Single turret lathe with sub

FWIW,

Take a good look at Samsung.

They actually were the ones that made a lot of Mori's commodity lathes.

Rock solid products w/ FANUC controls.

They have been quietly gaining market share in the areas where Mori dropped the ball.

They have also been agressively marketing against Doosan.

http://www.samsungmachinetools.com/?k=Mori%20Seiki&gclid=CMqcxaSFqcQCFYRCaQodo0EA4Q

• Like 2

Good lathe alternative to Mori?

Okuma. Not the cheapy Captain series, but the Japanese manufactured series. Single turret with Sub would be LB-W series. I always remember having a conversation with an engineer from Matssura Japan back in the early 2000's. I asked him what brand of lathe he preferred. His reply was "Okuma make very good lathe" :)

But if you're getting a sub, why not go twin turret? We went through this decision recently. Started off with a single turret single spindle lathe with C and Y axis milling. We've ended up at the point where we are about to sign off on a twin turret, twin spindle mill/turn. Whilst it is more expensive, the benefits far outweighed the cost. Disclaimer: Of course, I don't know your requirements :)

In all seriousness, I do wonder if DMG/Mori will be around for the log run.

The money that is being put up from Mori to buy/take control is huge.

There's so many manufacturers in the world today that I would have thought that Mori should have kept doing what they used to do well - make machines.

I heard that the old man wanted to be bigger than Mazak, and this is his way of doing it.

Organic growth is always first option to me (and this can be hugely problematical) but fathering someone else b'stards is never a good idea, imo.

Don't get me wrong. I've made some badass parts on our Mori's. We have 9 Mori's in our facility and 9 more at another facility. Lots of old SL's at the other facility....

After seeing all the new machines switching to that silly mazak inspired "Celos" control and the cost saving measure on our new NH I'm looking hard at other brands. It's too bad because Ellison is our best dealer.

Josh-

• Like 1
Guest MTB Technical Services

back in the day, Eillison was an Okuma dealer

don't know who left who though

FWIW-

Ellison no longer exists as an independent dealer.

Mori bought them out several years ago.

This is why I'm so glad that I bought one of the last NH5000 DCG machines in the states at the time. Right when they started coming out with the NHX. Mine only says Mori on it and it is the best machine I've ever used.

almost the same story here. our NH is as solid as they come. The MAPPS interface is very intuitive. The 'Celos' thing looks like something out of a cartoon.

So how would a NHX stack up against our NH?

I'm a big fan of Mori...never have had ANY issues with them...change the battery, add oil and replenish the coolant....was for the most part the only thing I've ever had to do....

The newest we've got are the nh5000 and a gv503...10 years old now.

I've seen seen newer models (5 axis dmu) taking a beating, major cuts and withstanding it very well... I'm curious now though