Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill Guy Thrown to Lathe Wolves

Rotary Ninja

I found the biggest thing is that lathes are all about clearances.

While you're watching through the window the tool cutting with feed override down, what you should be watching is the adjacent boring bar that's just about to be wiped out but the chuck jaws ROR!

Half the fun is finding the crashes/bumps before they happen. The really big stuff is the stuff that happens cuz it slipped by you and you did not catch it before things went bad.

:cheers::construction:

Lathe and the way it defines tooling is in serious need of an overhaul. It's still basically the same as it was in V7 over ten years ago.

for what it's worth

I submitted an X9 lathe tool bug a couple of weeks ago

I was told, yes it is a bug and I'll give you a bug number if you like,

but

Its highly unlikely they will even look at it due to the lathe overhaul.

• Like 1

I used to do a lot of lathe work with Mastercam, but it's been a couple of releases since I did any serious work

as we have an excellent lathe guy here now.

Lately I've been doing a little lathe stuff in X9 and there are some subtle changes.

Stock recognition seems much more robust than I remember .

There is one change I really like.

It seems like there is an internal filter working now that eliminates redundant moves

I used to get code like this

G0 X1. Z.05

G01 Z0 F.008

Z-1.5

Z-1.6

G0 X1.1

X4.

In X9 it comes out like this

G0 X1. Z.05

G01 Z-1.6 F.008

G0 X4.

this is a big deal for the operators as it's much easier to read

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In the thread cut parameters, you can choose equal depth or equal area. There are options for # of cuts, and depth of first cut. If you need more info, click the question mark at the bottom right of the dialog box for the help menu, then click the tab on the right that says field definitions. Now click on each highlighted phrase and it will give an explanation.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have another dilemma now. Look at the WTF toolpath. It has some weird move at the beginning of the toolpath that supposedly plunges into stock. Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong to cause this? Because I run into it all the time and usually I somehow get it fixed. But not this time.

Thanks.

Lathe Op.mcx-8

Rotary Ninja, your lead out was going straight down the face. When it starts the next tool path it makes a X move before it makes a Z move so its dragging the tool up the face in a rapid move. Change your lead out vector to 0 degrees. trust me its not an issue with Mastercam.

• Like 1

It likes the facing operation first. If you start with the facing operation, it will use the stock automatically and you don't have to pick boundaries. You can enter a step over for multiple passes if needed, and if you want a separate finish tool, just enter stock to leave and make a new finish operation just chaining the face.

hey nice avatar

• Like 1

Rotary Ninja, your lead out was going straight down the face. When it starts the next tool path it makes a X move before it makes a Z move so its dragging the tool up the face in a rapid move. Change your lead out vector to 0 degrees. trust me its not an issue with Mastercam.

I see what you mean. I changed that lead out on the facing toolpath and problem solved.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...