Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I have no proof that this is a bug but I'm not sure what I'd be doing for this to happen.  Twice since I've been using X9 I have overwritten one file with a different one.  I will finish programming a file, save it and then file open a different job.  Twice I've noticed that after I've been working on this "new" file that it has the previous job's name up on the top of the screen.  It's not a glitch I have accidentally overwritten the previous job I was working on.  I have auto save enabled so is there something there that might be messed up?  I can't think of what I'd be doing to overwrite these files.  I don't do file save as when saving, I just hit the save button.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I'm stumped and worried that I'm really going to screw my self one of these times.

Just kidding but in all seriousness i have seen this problem before where when you hit file --> open to open up a different file, it will ask you to save your file if any changes were made, and if you try to open a new file thinking thats what its asking you will replace the file you are looking to open. Make sure you read if its file open or file save because even if you say file open if somethings changes mastercam will ask if you want to save the old file before opening the new.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

If I have a file open, I never open another one with File/Open

I save the open file, hit File/New to clear things out then open the next file

This is an old habit from V9 days when opening a big file when you already had one

open could lock the computer and yeild 2 zeo byte files.

15 years later, I still do it that way and have never had a problem

• Like 3

This is an old habit from V9 days when opening a big file when you already had one

I learned this lesson a few versions ago. 

I have no idea what was causing it, but current part files were being saved as the last open file name.  I had over-written about 10 files before I realized that it was even happening.  Luckily we have a vigilant backup routine.

I haven't seen this issue since V7 but I can see that its still an issue so Im going to have to be sure to make a habit of this.

I actually take it 1 step further

Save my file >> Machine Type >> Design >> File New

I was burned to many times by autosave in the past. I never use it....

I am my autosave, if I screw up, then it's on me.  I do use back up though, that HAS saved my bacon a few times

I have seen this problem starting many versions back, (at least x6)

CNC software says its Windows, IT guys says it Mastercam. Yet Mastercam is the only program that I can make do it.

I lost a few files and learned that it usually happens when working with large files (100mb+) and saving to our slow network (10/100)

Never happened when working locally.

I have learned to worked locally on the SSD and move them in explorer when done.

I too go file save, file new, file open, etc.... All the others around here prolly think I have some major OCD going on....

Windows 7 professional

HP z200 workstation

Same here - got bitten once and changed the way we worked from then on.

By memory, was it a network speed/time thing?

i do not use auto save...I use incremental backup set to 50....yes 50...I click on save after almost anything good...sometimes twice...call me paranoid...lol

I never use file open....

I use file and pick from the list if I am going back and forth between files.

If I need to open up a brand new file I will x out of Mastercam and double click the file...that adds it to the list.

Mastercam works better if you restart frequently anyways so I save my file and x out.

Never have any problems..of course I am still in X8 but I will say it is the same for X9....even if it is a bug in 9 I would still have the previous dot and then some...

I never used Autosave.

In V9 days with big files.. on a slow network ( and they were ALL slow back then)

you'd be working away and autosave would kick in

it might take 30 to 40 seconds to save the file... but you don't know autotsave is trying to

take a snapshot and keep working away.

Now Autosave is trying to to hit a moving target, chokes, locks up and crashes.

When the dust settled, you had an empty file.

Today, working locally with small files autosave is probably safe, but old habits die hard

I never ever use it.

• Like 1

I turned of Auto save because it did it again on me.  Twice in one day is twice too many!  I will only use backup now and fully close out of the file I'm working on before opening another file.

I learned to solve the problem the same way you just did. I would run into your issues, and changed the way I did things a few years back.

• Like 1